iPad users spend $70K a day on Newsstand content

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014

A new study released on Tuesday reveals that Apple iPad users spend about $70,000 each day on tablet-centric newspapers and magazines purchased through Newsstand for iOS.

According to analytics firm Distimo, Apple's Newsstand content aggregator and online content store for iOS devices has helped push digital publication sales, with most of the revenue coming from in-app purchases, reports Business Insider.

Subscriptions or purchases of the New York Times, The Daily and the New Yorker top the list of downloaded content, and news apps as a whole account for 7 percent of the 200 highest grossing apps.

Revenue mostly comes in the form of in-app subscription purchases as many digital publication apps are available as a free download. This allows for content providers to offer a variety of purchasing options in one place. As in other Apple media stores, the company takes a 30 percent cut of each sale.

Unveiled in June 2011 as part of iOS 5, the Newsstand gathers a user's newspaper and magazine apps in a single non-removable folder. A special digital publication section, which can be accessed via Newsstand, was added to the App Store alongside feature's release.

A December 2011 report showed that the storefront and content library helped to accelerate content sales, with major publisher Conde Nast recording a 268 percent rise in paid subscriptions.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    That must be the average. I spend more than 100k a day on Newsstand content, easily.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

That must be the average. I spend more than 100k a day on Newsstand content, easily.

40K a day for me. I guess the headline is correct.
  • Reply 3 of 22
    wardcwardc Posts: 150member
    Wow, I thought maybe $20/day was considered a lot, $200 a week, a lot...

but $70,000 a week? At $2.99/issue, that is like 23,333 issues a week. A lot of reading material!!!!
  • Reply 4 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A new study released on Tuesday reveals that Apple iPad users spend about $70,000 each day on tablet-centric newspapers and magazines purchased through Newsstand for iOS. ...

I find this astounding.

I have looked in newstand many, many times and never found anything worth reading. Even the "free" magazines are full of junky advertisements and most are not really free, but just "first edition free" kind of things.

It's such a shame that good authors often can't find people to buy their material or get a publishing deal but such huge quantities of dreck can be published and consumed on a daily basis.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    How many iPads has Apple sold so far? Let's say 75 million. At $70,000 per day, it's an average of .00093 per iPad per day. Interesting.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    I guess it's time for my speed reading app.
  • Reply 7 of 22
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sportyguy209 View Post

How many iPads has Apple sold so far? Let's say 75 million. At $70,000 per day, it's an average of .00093 per iPad per day. Interesting.

I thought it would be much higher than $70k a day.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    kesemkesem Posts: 28member
    Check out Vanity Fair it's amazing on the new iPad.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    25 million a year is impressive since this content used to be free, and they can still have ads. It will increase. The subs model is a big money maker
  • Reply 10 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I find this astounding.

I have looked in newstand many, many times and never found anything worth reading. Even the "free" magazines are full of junky advertisements and most are not really free, but just "first edition free" kind of things.

It's such a shame that good authors often can't find people to buy their material or get a publishing deal but such huge quantities of dreck can be published and consumed on a daily basis.

There are lots of quality mags out there for the iPad.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:

I find this astounding.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

There are lots of quality mags out there for the iPad.

I echo the second sentiment. For example, I'm quite enamored with my New Yorker subscription, including access to old issues.
  • Reply 12 of 22
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

25 million a year is impressive since this content used to be free, and they can still have ads. It will increase. The subs model is a big money maker

It's indeed impressive. Has anyone else built a newsstand before (concrete and mortar or web based) that generated equivalent revenue in an equally short time?

On the other hand, were the contents really free before? I'd say some and perhaps much of it was not.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

Got you bet $125k

And don't even ask about my movies etc
  • Reply 14 of 22
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

It's indeed impressive. Has anyone else built a newsstand before (concrete and mortar or web based) that generated equivalent revenue in an equally short time?

When I lived in Honolulu I worked for Borders and it felt like we sold that much in mags and papers. I bet stores in other big cities were the same

Quote:

On the other hand, were the contents really free before? I'd say some and perhaps much of it was not.

Nope. This is most likely digital papers like the new York times, wall street journal etc and dig mags like vogue etc
  • Reply 15 of 22
    erpxerpx Posts: 24member
    I learned the hard way that you cannot roll your magazines over from device to device. When I purchased the new iPad, I lost my magazines from the previous iPad 2. Even though I did a complete restore from that device, the magazines didn't restore properly. And the Apple support team indicated I can't get them back, which is most unfortunate for me. I won't be purchasing any magazines until this can be corrected. Also had the same thing happen with 2 books that I purchased. Very disappointed.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Nope. This is most likely digital papers like the new York times, wall street journal etc and dig mags like vogue etc

A lot of content in the UK was free, like the Guardian, or Telegraph, which costs money on the iPad, and they can still show ads. Give people a better experience and they will pay for it. Even for the old paid model it is probably generating new revenue, as it brings new people to the table. Its important to remember that these magazines don't have huge revenue, or margins.

Good stats here for the New Yorker:

http://articles.businessinsider.com/...gital-division

Twenty thousand people have paid $59.99 for a year-long subscription to The New Yorker's iPad app, according to a story in The New York Times. Another 75,000-plus print subscribers are also downloading the issue for free.

That comes out to $1.2 million extra per year in added revenue before factoring in the "several thousand" people who buy single issues each week for $4.99.

It does go on to say:

While that figure is the highest of any Conde Nast publication, the money brought in by the iPad app remains a small percentage of The New Yorker's overall revenue. The publication sold more than $42 million in advertising during the first half of 2011, up 8.2% from the same time period during 2010.

but the $1.2 is money for free, effectively, and recurring. And will grow as the iPad market grows. The sunk costs of development are less than $200K I imagine, and maintenance is probably using the same team as runs the website. The point is, it is clear how money can be made on the iPad, as well as the internet, and print. And - although not mentioned in that article - I assume the advertising is also in the app, just like print subs pay and get ads, thats the common model for magazines. so that is more eyeballs, and more advertising revenue as well. They could also see premium to iPad owners, although I bet they don't.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:

I find this astounding.

I subscribed to Sound+Vision which is great, and cheap and will subscribe to National Geographic when I get a new GC. I only hope American Cinematographer will consider making a Newsstand app one day.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by erpx View Post

I learned the hard way that you cannot roll your magazines over from device to device. When I purchased the new iPad, I lost my magazines from the previous iPad 2. Even though I did a complete restore from that device, the magazines didn't restore properly. And the Apple support team indicated I can't get them back, which is most unfortunate for me. I won't be purchasing any magazines until this can be corrected. Also had the same thing happen with 2 books that I purchased. Very disappointed.

I presume you purchased the content directly from your iPad? Can't you simply transfer/sync the content back to your iTunes library on your PC and then transfer/sync it onto your new iPad? I only ever buy stuff via my iTunes account on my PC and then sync it to my devices so I can back it up. Is this a known problem?
  • Reply 19 of 22
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by erpx View Post

...Also had the same thing happen with 2 books that I purchased. Very disappointed.

This sounds like something wrong with your account. I have no problem buying from one device and reading on another at all.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    Quote:

I find this astounding.

I had a good look through the newspapers and magazines available a few days ago and just about every magazine I normally buy in paper form is now available in Newsstand. You might want to keep checking back each week as they seem to be adding a lot more titles since the iPad 3 launched.