• Reply 61 of 159
    Why isn't it simply 3G + US LTE?

Problem solved.
  • Reply 62 of 159
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Are you kidding or just hard of seeing?

Where does it say it connects to 4G?! the only mention of 4G is in the device name "iPad with WiFi+4G". The iPad is definitely is capable of connecting to 4G networks and the hardware to do so exist in the device. At the bottom of the same page it says:

4G LTE is supported only on AT&T and Verizon networks in the US, and on Bell, Rogers and Telus networks in Canada. Data plans sold separately. See your carrier for details.

What part of "SUPPORTED ONLY ON" is hard to understand?!
  • Reply 63 of 159
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Orlando View Post

Maybe Apple should have said the new iPad was "4G Ready"

:-)

I like it but with the bellyaching that's going on that probably wouldn't have worked.

The psychology of the positional good is controlling this now. I think people are just unhappy the Americans have a feature they don't. Remember that the US has a completely backwards mobile network that will always be behind the rest of the world¡

To a lesser extent I'm sure some feel jagged that they have to buy a feature that is no good to then in their home country. But that's silly because there is scarcely a mobile device that doesn't have tech one won't use. I certainly don't use most of the bands in my iPhone and iPad to connect in the US. Çest la vie.
  • Reply 64 of 159
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,591member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Apple did make a simple and straightforward statement. They said that LTE was available in the US and Canada and that 'up to 4G' was available elsewhere. Since HSPA+ is classified as 4G, that's not an incorrect statement.

Why tell you where it is available instead of plainly saying it's not available to you from any carrier in your country. Apple's way leaves room for misunderstanding, and thus it's an issue for some consumer groups and regulatory agencies.

I have no doubt you understand that. There's no reason other than marketing for Apple not to make it easily understood that it's not 4G compatible in your country. Period. It matters not if a Swedish buyer can travel to New York and get 4G service.
  • Reply 65 of 159
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

Why isn't it simply 3G + US LTE?

Problem solved.

1) That has its own problems because you excluded WiFi. Personally I think including WiFi is probably redundant. If you don't know if these devices have WiFI then you probably don't know if you have a WiFI router at home.

2) US's LTE tech isn't any different than the world's LTE. It's not the homegrown TD-LTE like China Mobile and Softbank are using. The only difference is the operating bands. They clearly state what bands it connects to... but then they go even farther and tell you what carriers and countries.

3) At this point they should call it WiFi+NextG for Australia... or is NextG only used for Telestra. BTW, NextG is also a marketing term which adds to the lunacy of this whole debate.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Where does it say it connects to 4G?! the only mention of 4G is in the device name "iPad with WiFi+4G". The iPad is definitely is capable of connecting to 4G networks and the hardware to do so exist in the device. At the bottom of the same page it says:

4G LTE is supported only on AT&T and Verizon networks in the US, and on Bell, Rogers and Telus networks in Canada. Data plans sold separately. See your carrier for details.

What part of "SUPPORTED ONLY ON" is hard to understand?!

1) That looks like a secondary product name for that model as written.

2) That same sentence that mentions WiFi + 4G does say "around the world" and not "in Australia."
  • Reply 66 of 159
    timbittimbit Posts: 331member
    If only everyone used the same 4G network configurations .... Too bad that won't happen because then companies would be suing others for patent violations.

Why doesn't someone create a chip that can receive communications from all the different 4G frequencies?
  • Reply 67 of 159
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    I would contend that no body has never bought computer hardware or software, only to find when they got home or to work that it wasn't meant for or didn't work in their environment.

Like the political idiots we invariably elect to serve us, it is a shame that we can't sue them for incompetency because we were to stupid to read the fine print.

t would suggest to Apple they forget their plan to pay dividends and use the monies to start buying/contracting/building their own worldwide wireless network.
  • Reply 68 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) That has its own problems because you excluded WiFi. Personally I think including WiFi is probably redundant. If you don't know if these devices have WiFI then you probably don't know if you have a WiFI router at home.

I dropped it for redundancy of the point, but ok fine, Wifi + 3G + US LTE.

Quote:

2) US's LTE tech isn't any different than the world's LTE. It's not the homegrown TD-LTE like China Mobile and Softbank are using. The only difference is the operating bands. They clearly state what bands it connects to... but then they go even farther and tell you what carriers and countries.

...ooookkkk but the device ONLY works on US LTE so calling it as such seems simple and appropriate for international purposes.
  • Reply 69 of 159
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I'd love to know how many Aussies or Europeans bought the device thinking it was something it's not. My guess is not that many.
  • Reply 70 of 159
    "4G", "in UK" ???!!!

Well... microapplesoft...
  • Reply 71 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Are you kidding or just hard of seeing?

This lends well to my argument about fine print.
  • Reply 72 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I'd love to know how many Aussies or Europeans bought the device thinking it was something it's not. My guess is not that many.

I'd love to know if Samsung or some other competitor hired people to go buy iPads specifically so they could target them with a law suite for false adverising....
  • Reply 73 of 159
    chelinchelin Posts: 115member
    What one forget is that the speed of the 4G LTE networks here in the US is about the same or slower than the 3G networks in for example Sweden. So yes, they will not be able to connect to their LTE networks, but the experience will be the same no matter where you are although you will not use the 4G network.
  • Reply 74 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sacto Joe View Post

I'd love to know if Samsung or some other competitor hired people to go buy iPads specifically so they could target them with a law suite for false adverising....

Law suite???

Is that several law suits tied together like Ofice or iWork?

j/k
  • Reply 75 of 159
    Much fuss about nothing.

We all take anything Apple says with a pinch of salt.
  • Reply 76 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Huh? From the same link, 1st page:

Ultra-fast 4G. Full speed ahead.

Designed with next-generation wireless technology, the new iPad with Wi-Fi + 4G connects to fast data networks around the world. So you can download content, stream video and browse the web at amazing speeds. Learn more

I did miss that mention of 4G on the first page, but that's because it's not in the header which says "Ultra Fast Wireless," not "4G."

There are better ways to explain things and other language Apple could have used, but they are still doing nothing here that every other company doesn't do and hasn't done since the beginning of commerce.

It's (a bit) deceptive but that's capitalism and advertising is at root based on deception and misdirection, so this is nothing new.
  • Reply 77 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I did miss that mention of 4G on the first page, but that's because it's not in the header which says "Ultra Fast Wireless," not "4G."

There are better ways to explain things and other language Apple could have used, but they are still doing nothing here that every other company doesn't do and hasn't done since the beginning of commerce.

It's (a bit) deceptive but that's capitalism and advertising is at root based on deception and misdirection, so this is nothing new.

Nothing new. I agree.

Apple could have easily put another line below the description on the first page that says, "4G is currently available only in the United States and Canada. Discuss the fantastic speeds that you will still get with your wireless provider." ... or some such... rather than a little number 2 on the second page that leads you to some hieroglyphics (for most people) on the bottom of the page.

I'd like to see Apple move its standards a little higher than "every other company".
  • Reply 78 of 159
    chelinchelin Posts: 115member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Nothing new. I agree.

Apple could have easily put another line below the description on the first page that says, "4G is currently available only in the United States and Canada. Discuss the fantastic speeds that you will still get with your wireless provider." ... or some such... rather than a little number 2 on the second page that leads you to some hieroglyphics (for most people) on the bottom of the page.

I'd like to see Apple move its standards a little higher than "every other company".

But this is simply not true, 4G is a standard that is and has been available in other countries long before it was available in the US. The LTE standard was first implemented in Sweden where it actually works according to the standard. AT&T and Verizon is actually diverting from the standard.
  • Reply 79 of 159
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

The problem is they haven't been totally clear. Did you miss the comments from the Swedish poster on this page? Comments from a couple of Australian buyers? One from a German poster?

Are you now saying buyers shouldn't trust the big type on Apple's country-specific sales sites and instead look to see what Apple is hiding in the footnotes? Seems a bit sneaky to me and very un-Apple.

It is a matter of common sense but if people are gullible then they need to be protected otherwise they too gullible to take care of themseleves.

If a country doesn't have 4G connectivity only gullible people will think they can, by magic, have 4G connectivity by buying the new iPad.

Very sad.
  • Reply 80 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chelin View Post

But this is simply not true, 4G is a standard that is and has been available in other countries long before it was available in the US. The LTE standard was first implemented in Sweden where it actually works according to the standard. AT&T and Verizon is actually diverting from the standard.

I meant 4G on the iPad...

Good case in point, though... you have to be very clear or people will misunderstand.