Google plans to launch online store for Android tablets

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014

In an attempt to boost disappointing sales of tablets using its Android OS, Google is reportedly planning to rollout an online storefront by the end of 2012, with some of the devices expected to be co-branded.

Citing sources familiar with the matter, The Wall Street Journal reports that the internet search giant's plans are similar to the short-lived online sales model of the company's 2010 Nexus One handset only on a wider scale similar to the online Apple Store.

Although some of the tablets to be sold in the new store will be Google branded or co-branded, the company is not expected to be part of the manufacturing process. Partner OEMs like Samsung and ASUS will reportedly handle the hardware side of the operation while Google will provide design and software support. Earlier this month, rumors had it that Google and Asus were already planning on releasing a co-branded tablet in May.

The business model is identical to how Google operated with the Nexus One, which was built by Chinese smartphone maker HTC.

It is not known when the store will officially make its debut, and the sources are unclear as to which Android tablet makers will be taking part in the endeavor.

It was recently reported that Google nets 80 percent of its mobile revenue from iOS and only 20 percent from Android.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 57
    Google should consider opening their own brick 'n mortar stores or co-branded ones with Best Buy.
  • Reply 2 of 57
    Another online store. Yeah. This will make all the difference.
  • Reply 3 of 57
    penchantedpenchanted Posts: 1,070member
    I believe the purchase of Motorola and all this co-branding (which is essentially annointing "winners") will have a very negative in the long-term growth proposition for Android. If I am a ODM, I'd be looking at Windows as a more neutral playing field, especially considering that Android handset makers are already paying royalties to MS.

Bob
  • Reply 4 of 57
    tinman0tinman0 Posts: 168member
    Oh wow, how original! Google are going to open an online shop because no one else has obviously....

Can I get a job at Google because if this is the level of thinking at Mountain View, my shoe is more than qualified?
  • Reply 5 of 57
    People are not going to buy an unproven, untested, BUGGY, CRAPPY, POS Android Tablet online specially if they haven't physically seen/touched/tested it inside a physical store.

GOODLUCK GOOGLE! ANOTHER DISASTER COMING UP!
  • Reply 6 of 57
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    As i recall the problem with direct sales of the Nexus was that Google is not, and apparently has little interest in becoming, a customer service oriented operation. If you buy "Google hardware" and have issues, you can forget about talking to Google. They're not home, not for you.

"Co-branding" just sounds like a way to get some Google on there without Google having to deal with those tiresome consumers. Leave that to the sweet embrace of Samsung.
  • Reply 7 of 57
    carthusiacarthusia Posts: 583member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In an attempt to boost disappointing sales of tablets using its Android OS, Google is reportedly planning to rollout an online storefront by the end of 2012, with some of the devices expected to be co-branded.

Citing sources familiar with the matter, The Wall Street Journal reports that the internet search giant's plans are similar to the short-lived online sales model of the company's 2010 Nexus One handset only on a wider scale similar to the online Apple Store.

Although some of the tablets to be sold in the new store will be Google branded or co-branded, the company is not expected to be part of the manufacturing process. Partner OEMs like Samsung and ASUS will reportedly handle the hardware side of the operation while Google will provide design and software support. Earlier this month, rumors had it that Google and Asus were already planning on releasing a co-branded tablet in May.

The business model is identical to how Google operated with the Nexus One, which was built by Chinese smartphone maker HTC.

It is not known when the store will officially make its debut, and the sources are unclear as to which Android tablet makers will be taking part in the endeavor.

It was recently reported that Google nets 80 percent of its mobile revenue from iOS and only 20 percent from Android.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

If at first you don't succeed, fail, fail again
  • Reply 8 of 57
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    Like maybe 6 or 7 people really give a flying fk! BTW, HTC is a Taiwanese company, not Chinese.
  • Reply 9 of 57
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

If you buy "Google hardware" and have issues, you can forget about talking to Google. They're not home, not for you.

Unfortunately, too true.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carthusia View Post

(too funny for just one smiley!)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tinman0 View Post

Oh wow, how original! Google are going to open an online shop because no one else has obviously....

Can I get a job at Google because if this is the level of thinking at Mountain View, my shoe is more than qualified?

If you've ever wondered why they have such large windows at their Mountain view headquarters, it's so they can look out towards Cupertino and the world and see what the hell is actually going on.
  • Reply 10 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carthusia View Post

I'm constantly surprised at how much top level time and talent is being spent at Google on this free-OS boondoggle while their money making search engine profit is being eroded away. At what time will the stock holders throw a fit and drive some of the board members and management out of their seats?
  • Reply 11 of 57
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Here is how the meeting for that one went:

"Hey! I have an idea! Perhaps the quality of our tablets is not the reason for poor sales after all. It is because nobody can find them! Let's build an online store and sales will boom!"
  • Reply 12 of 57
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Wow, this is absolutely incredible news for somebody such as myself who happens to be a huge fan of Android, and don't you go doubting me for a single second, because I can out root you any day of the week and I am a regular pro with the widgets. I can multitask and handle 5 widgets at once, so don't go starting some shit with me, because you'll certainly regret it. I'd been desperately trying to buy an Android tablet for many months now, and they've been sold out everywhere! A poor guy just can't catch a break.

After each Android tablet launch, there are always huge lines of people, all across the world, waiting for days and days just to get their hands on the latest Android tablet. It's not surprising to me that Google needs to open up an online store. This will help with the distribution problems that Android has been having, caused by the insane demand for their tablets.

The only problem is that I currently live in a cardboard box (three actually), and I'm hoping that Google's online store will be able to send the tablet to my current address.
  • Reply 13 of 57

Maybe Google plans to promote/monetize the effort with ads like this:

Must Watch Video

...A simple string of pearls is needed to complete the ensemble

Gotta' love'm!

• Reply 14 of 57
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Wow, this is absolutely incredible news for somebody such as myself who happens to be a huge fan of Android, and don't you go doubting me for a single second, because I can out root you any day of the week and I am a regular pro with the widgets. I can multitask and handle 5 widgets at once, so don't go starting some shit with me, because you'll certainly regret it. I'd been desperately trying to buy an Android tablet for many months now, and they've been sold out everywhere! A poor guy just can't catch a break.

After each Android tablet launch, there are always huge lines of people, all across the world, waiting for days and days just to get their hands on the latest Android tablet. It's not surprising to me that Google needs to open up an online store. This will help with the distribution problems that Android has been having, caused by the insane demand for their tablets.

The only problem is that I currently live in a cardboard box (three actually), and I'm hoping that Google's online store will be able to send the tablet to my current address.

Dude, you keep this shit up and you're going to have to start your own site/blog.
  • Reply 15 of 57
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FriedLobster View Post

People are not going to buy an unproven, untested, BUGGY, CRAPPY, POS Android Tablet online specially if they haven't physically seen/touched/tested it inside a physical store.

GOODLUCK GOOGLE! ANOTHER DISASTER COMING UP!

Why do people buy all kinds of things online without ever seen them. They read up about them and then make an educated guess. Not all of us have the luxury of having a Apple store near by or even a store that sells Android tablets. Now that bit about unproven, untested, buggy, blah, blah, it's a very silly remark. It's one think to own a specific model and having a problem with it but generalizing that they are all crap is just retarded. I have friends along with myself who own Android tablets and they are very wonderful machines.

Apple doesn't make a small tablet that I can fit in my purse but Samsung does with their 7.7". One of the most fantastic tablets I have ever used and the critics feel the same, all of them even the hardcore Apple ones. This is an Apple fan site yes and I own pretty much every line of Apple products except the Mac Pro. However there are also some really incredible non Apple products on the market as well. I'm so tired of people blindly passing judgement on things they either don't own or no nothing about, they post negative thoughts because it makes them look cool on the board.

The worst thing is when we attack each other because we like certain things about another product that doesn't have a Apple on it. Who cares, if you think that the product you bought can make your life just a little bit more enjoyable then the brand name that is printed on the back doesn't matter. Can we all start rejoicing over technology in general, I am still in such awe that we live in a age where we can even talk to each other over great distances with a device no bigger then a box of cigarettes, let alone share data on the same device.
  • Reply 16 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Dude, you keep this shit up and you're going to have to start your own site/blog.

Apple ][ Insider.com.

• Reply 17 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Why do people buy all kinds of things online without ever seen them. They read up about them and then make an educated guess. Not Ball of us have the luxury of having a Apple store near by or even a store that sells Android tablets. Now that bit about unproven, untested, buggy, blah, blah, it's a very silly remark. It's one think to own a specific model and having a problem with it but generalizing that they are all crap is just retarded. I have friends along with myself who own Android tablets and they are very wonderful machines.

Apple doesn't make a small tablet that I can fit in my purse but Samsung does with their 7.7". One of the most fantastic tablets I have ever used and the critics feel the same, all of them even the hardcore Apple ones. This is an Apple fan site yes and I own pretty much every line of Apple products except the Mac Pro. However there are also some really incredible non Apple products on the market as well. I'm so tired of people blindly passing judgement on things they either don't own or no nothing about, they post negative thoughts because it makes them look cool on the board.

The worst thing is when we attack each other because we like certain things about another product that doesn't have a Apple on it. Who cares, if you think that the product you bought can make your life just a little bit more enjoyable then the brand name that is printed on the back doesn't matter. Can we all start rejoicing over technology in general, I am still in such awe that we live in a age where we can even talk to each other over great distances with a device no bigger then a box of cigarettes, let alone share data on the same device.

The fallacy of your post is that you confuse a "machine" with a solution.
  • Reply 18 of 57
    I'm sure they're doing this so potential buyers won't have the chance to experience the horrid user experience on the vast majority of them. They'll push them based on specs, and the nonexistent tablet app market.
  • Reply 19 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

The fallacy of your post is that you confuse a "machine" with a solution.

No solutions just reasons to have fun and enjoy the technology that an individual chooses. You don't have to make it about anything else. There is no superior choice, it's all in the eyes of the beholder. Stop trying to make something that it isn't.
  • Reply 20 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RedGeminiPA View Post

I'm sure they're doing this so potential buyers won't have the chance to experience the horrid user experience on the vast majority of them. They'll push them based on specs, and the nonexistent tablet app market.

Another silly post that doesn't add anything to the conversation but negativity.