Apple's redesigned 2012 iMacs rumored to feature anti-reflective glass displays

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 103
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Snowdog65 View Post

The actual number I see for regular glass is 8%, so 2% is a 75% reduction. Which still ends up causing a lot of reflective problems in monitors.

.1% is a number I have only seen from 30 layer AR "Invisible Glass" PR from Nippon Electric glass. I don't think this is a production item. This is likely economically unfeasible, and will likely have durability issues as well.

Real museum glass is more like 1%(only half XShield). Tru Vue seems to be the major supplier:

http://www.tru-vue.com/Tru-Vue/Produ...ti-reflective/

Even this, in production product may be unfeasible for economic/durability reasons.

Monitors are a special challenge. With dark backgrounds, they turn in to the perfect mirror candidates.

If we get a real, practical .1% reflective product (which I doubt) that may solve the problem, but production AR products in the 1% to 2% range don't.

Also Apple would need to get away from the air gap to really fix this. A perfect invisible glass would then make reflections obvious from the inner gloss surface unless it was bonded to it.

very interesting post, thanks. So what would a 1%-2% range mean, reflections the type of the air's semi gloss or higher, if the comparison is apt that is.
  • Reply 102 of 103
    snowdog65snowdog65 Posts: 268member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

very interesting post, thanks. So what would a 1%-2% range mean, reflections the type of the air's semi gloss or higher, if the comparison is apt that is.

There was a guy, posting here, who actually had a piece of museum glass cut for his iMac, and he also put another AR/AG film on the panel itself. Overall he said it gave him about 50% reduction in reflections. I have no idea how it would compare with an Air.

To really improve Apple needs to get rid of the gap between cover and screen. So they have one surface to deal with and not two.
  • Reply 103 of 103
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Snowdog65 View Post

There was a guy, posting here, who actually had a piece of museum glass cut for his iMac, and he also put another AR/AG film on the panel itself. Overall he said it gave him about 50% reduction in reflections. I have no idea how it would compare with an Air.

To really improve Apple needs to get rid of the gap between cover and screen. So they have one surface to deal with and not two.

well said, fused display and glass as with the iphone, I 've been saying that too for while and I wonder why the have not managed with the ipad yet. Maybe an issue with assembling the device, or managing to have gorilla glass sufficiently thin and tough at larger sizes is getting in the way of fusion...

Btw, I was contemplating going with the museum glass custom cut way too for the imac, never got around to it...