Samsung announces estimated $40B in revenue, $5B in profit for Q1 2012

Comments

• Reply 101 of 227
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

You seem to be saying that Apple is going to catch up in the future.

You seem to be wrong.
  • Reply 102 of 227
    Apple = Bruce Lee

'nuff said.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

... and I still believe that the ass kicking has just started. "If" Apple brings out an iPhone with a slightly larger screen then imho more people will be interested in that product... keeping in mind that the 4S will most likely be discounted (and possibly even updated) and the 4 will be discounted even further.

Samsung and the rest have limited themselves in their ability to physically change their phones. Screen size... done that. Increased ram... done that. Processor speed... done that. ... and still Apple keeps gaining while Android's gains have slowed.

Apple on the other hand can increase the size, and the physical appearance changes dramatically... and in a beautiful way that only Apple seems able.

• Reply 103 of 227
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MJ4Ev3r View Post

SEE how the scores of Kia and Hyundai went down dramatically as the cars get older--they are just good for a maximum 5 years, and then they go straight to the junk yard, whereas a BMW/Toyota can run forever for their great engines and engineering!

The old designs weren't reliable as the article mentioned. I also don't think I've ever seen BMW in a list of the world's most reliable auto manufacturers. Actually they're notorious for quality issues compared to truly reliable manufacturers, who as an added benefit often sell for less.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/03/17/j...incoln-best-b/

Higher price does not equal better quality.
  • Reply 104 of 227
    mj4ev3rmj4ev3r Posts: 99member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

The old designs weren't reliable as the article mentioned. I also don't think I've ever seen BMW in a list of the world's most reliable auto manufacturers. Actually they're notorious for quality issues compared to truly reliable manufacturers, who as an added benefit often sell for less.

BMW cars have GREAT engines--look under HIGH-end cars NOT the LOW-end! BMW like Benz, Audi have the BEST REALE VALUE for HIGH-end cars for their great engines and unmatched engineering!
  • Reply 105 of 227
    Quote:

Even with the new Kias and Hyundais... the resale value won't be near as high as a Toyota or Honda in 5 years... regardless of supposed high reliability scores. It's going to take Korea quite a while longer, imho, to convince people that their cars (products) are durable.
  • Reply 106 of 227
    Quote:

Even with the new Kias and Hyundais... the resale value won't be near as high as a Toyota or Honda in 5 years... regardless of supposed high reliability scores. It's going to take Korea quite a while longer, imho, to convince people that their cars (products) are durable.

Agreed that Toyota's and Honda's have very good resale value, but it took several years to get the rep for having quality products at realistic prices. Even now Toyota has taken some hits on the dependabilty front. In any case I wouldn't put BMW in the same league on quality or dependability as Toyota, Honda or Hyundai.
  • Reply 107 of 227
    Quote:

BMW cars have GREAT engines--look under HIGH-end cars NOT the LOW-end! BMW like Benz, Audi have the BEST REALE VALUE for HIGH-end cars for their great engines and unmatched engineering!

I've got a funny story about that...

I know someone who had been buying BMWs for 40 years... had several of them. Loved BMWs, but a couple of years ago decided to try a Lexus. The Lexus had a totally different feel and it was love. Love, that is, until the recalls started, so I was told. So I asked if there had been any problems with the Lexus after a couple of long vacation cruises. "Nope. No problems. Runs like a dream." "Then you still like the Lexus?" Nope! No way! Never buy another one. Too many recalls. Going back to BMW."

It's funny how all those recalls came about just as the big 3 were really hurting.
  • Reply 108 of 227
    Quote:

Agreed that Toyota's and Honda's have very good resale value, but it took several years to get the rep for having quality products at realistic prices. Even now Toyota has taken some hits on the dependabilty front. In any case I wouldn't put BMW in the same league on quality or dependability as Toyota, Honda or Hyundai.

You can't place BMW in the same category as Toyota, Honda or horror among horrors Hyundai--since all the said cars are the low-end ones--and BMW is under the LUXURY Quality, HIGH-end cars!
  • Reply 109 of 227
    Quote:

...but it took several years to get the rep for having quality products at realistic prices. Even now Toyota has taken some hits on the dependability front.

Which is what I was saying about Korean products. It will take a few years. Hyundai didn't help matter in the 80s... cars would break down constantly without anyone to service them and without any parts available.

By the way... I don't buy all those stories about Toyota recalls etc. To me it was just a bunch of bs cooked up by the American big 3.
  • Reply 110 of 227
    Quote:

I've got a funny story about that...

I know someone who had been buying BMWs for 40 years... had several of them. Loved BMWs, but a couple of years ago decided to try a Lexus. The Lexus had a totally different feel and it was love. Love, that is, until the recalls started, so I was told. So I asked if there had been any problems with the Lexus after a couple of long vacation cruises. "Nope. No problems. Runs like a dream." "Then you still like the Lexus?" Nope! No way! Never buy another one. Too many recalls. Going back to BMW."

It's funny how all those recalls came about just as the big 3 were really hurting.

Agree--its black propaganda for Toyota/Lexus--the US Big Three did the same thing before for Audi in the 80s or 90s--just google it--same modus operandi that happened to Toyota--and the funny thing is, after the Toyota/Lexus black propaganda--the big three recovered fast, LOL!
  • Reply 111 of 227
    Quote:

You can't place BMW in the same category as Toyota, Honda or horror among horrors Hyundai--since all the said cars are the low-end ones--and BMW is under the LUXURY Quality, HIGH-end cars!

And I wouldn't put them in the same quality and reliability class as Mercedes, Lexus or Lincoln either. No matter what class of cars you want to put them in, BMW isn't at the top of it.
  • Reply 112 of 227
    Quote:

And I wouldn't put them in the same quality and reliability class as Mercedes, Lexus or Lincoln either. No matter what class of cars you want to put them in, BMW isn't at the top of it.

SUBJECTIVE statement from an unknown---BTW, do you own one? We own 2 BMWs and I can vouch--will never go for any other brand! BMW sold the MOST units than all the ones you mentioned...just shows EXCELLENT made products like Apple translate to EXCELLENT sales, LOL!
  • Reply 113 of 227
    Quote:

BMW sold the MOST units than all the ones you mentioned...

Sold or shipped?
  • Reply 114 of 227
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

All TRUE Samsung boycott members refuse to buy any Apple product that includes any Samsung components. We vote with our pocketbooks.

You seem to have a penchant for posting ridiculous comments which indicate nothing more than your inability to comprehend the arguments that others present.

Some people choose not to buy Samsung consumer products because of their business practices. That doesn't mean that ALL Samung divisions use the same business practices. Clearly, Samsung's semiconductor business seems to operate differently - and therefore isn't a concern bey people who object to the business practices.
  • Reply 115 of 227
    Quote:

Sold or shipped?

BMW is NOT Samsung--SOLD, of course, LOL!
  • Reply 116 of 227
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

You seem to have a penchant for posting ridiculous comments which indicate nothing more than your inability to comprehend the arguments that others present.

Some people choose not to buy Samsung consumer products because of their business practices. That doesn't mean that ALL Samung divisions use the same business practices. Clearly, Samsung's semiconductor business seems to operate differently - and therefore isn't a concern bey people who object to the business practices.

Some people, sure.

But the True Samsung Haters boycott any product that enriches Samsung.

Talk is cheap. Some people are hypocrites, who talk about boycotting Samsung but turn around and enrich Samsung.
  • Reply 117 of 227
    Quote:

SUBJECTIVE statement from an unknown---BTW, do you own one? We own 2 BMWs and I can vouch--will never go for any other brand! BMW sold the MOST units than all the ones you mentioned...just shows EXCELLENT made products like Apple translate to EXCELLENT sales, LOL!

I could ask you the same question about your Hyundai comments. Have you owned one? I have, a 2008 VeraCruz and had no quality complaints or reliability issues. Excellent value for the money IMHO. I feel it compared very favorably, quality-wise, with my wife's previous car, an Infiniti FX45 tho not near as fun to drive.
  • Reply 118 of 227
    Quote:

Some people, sure.

But the True Samsung Haters boycott any product that enriches Samsung.

Talk is cheap. Some people are hypocrites, who talk about boycotting Samsung but then they go ahead and enrich Samsung.

Don't worry--Apple is steering in the direction of NOT putting any Korean-made items on their products--that is why they partnered with Sharp, and even from the biography--SJ had a high regard for anything Japanese--so most likely Apple will expand their partnerships with the Japanese later on!
  • Reply 119 of 227
    Quote:

I could ask you the same question about your Hyundai comments. Have you owned one? I have, a 2008 VeraCruz and had no quality complaints or reliability issues. Excellent value for the money IMHO. I feel it compared very favorably, quality-wise, with my wife's previous car, an Infiniti FX45 tho not near as fun to drive.

Wait for 1 more year and then come back to me--try to sell it after 5 years and see if there is any takers, LOL! BTW, have you driven a BMW before--you don't know FUN until you drive a BMW--it makes you feel like you are James Bond
  • Reply 120 of 227
    Quote:

Wait for 1 more year and then come back to me--try to sell it after 5 years and see if there is any takers, LOL!

I already sold it. Purchased for 34K and change and sold for $28K and change two years and a few months later. I did OK IMO.

But I thought you were originally complaining about Hyundai's quality and not resale value. Did you change the focus because BMW has lower reliability ratings than Hyundai?

EDIT: A check today still shows the resale value as $22-23K. Not bad for a 5 year old gas-guzzling 3-row SUV.