AT&T's iPhone unlock process accomplished through Apple's iTunes

Comments

• Reply 21 of 75
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thecobrasnake View Post

Hey. My name is Matias. I'm from Argentina. I have a iphone 4. I want to unlock it. (Sorry, my English is not good.) I read that I need an account to unlock it. I wanted to sign up forat & t but could not because they ask me for phone number. From my country I can not call at & t. Does anyone can help me? thank you very much, greetings from Argentin

AT&T cannot unlock your iPhone. Only the carrier to which it is locked may unlock an iPhone.
  • Reply 22 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

So... if the contract is bought out, will the phone be eligible unlocking? I heard no, but wonder if in all the confusion maybe?

"Beginning Sunday, April 8, we will offer qualifying customers the ability to unlock their AT&T iPhones," the statement reads. "The only requirements are that a customer's account must be in good standing, their device cannot be associated with a current and active term commitment on an AT&T customer account, and they need to have fulfilled their contract term, upgraded under one of our upgrade policies or paid an early termination fee."
  • Reply 23 of 75
    libertyforalllibertyforall Posts: 1,418member
    Be sure you contact the technical support option when you call in -- the customer service people are a joke, and they have to transfer you to the technical support folks anyhow to complete the process.

I just unlocked my original iPhone and a 3GS -- no problem, just restore in iTunes, and it tells you that it has been unlocked in iTunes. All you need is the IMEI #s.

Now, why didn't this just happen automatically -- give me a button on the iPhone -- unnecessary steps!
  • Reply 24 of 75
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Therbo View Post

Its weird, us Europeans have never ever had to restore our iPhones when unlocking them, and we've been able to unlock them for 4 years.

This is the way we've been doing it in Australia since 2008.

Give carrier IMEI details, wait a couple of days, backup and restore.

The only issues are when the handset has been replaced by Apple and it's IMEI isn't in the carriers database, then it can take a little longer.

I've always unlocked my iPhones.
  • Reply 25 of 75
    I have an ipone 4 that I know longer use because I got my iphone 4s in Nov when it was released. Does the phone have to be active for you to unlock it?
  • Reply 26 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

This is the way we've been doing it in Australia since 2008.

Give carrier IMEI details, wait a couple of days, backup and restore.

The only issues are when the handset has been replaced by Apple and it's IMEI isn't in the carriers database, then it can take a little longer.

I've always unlocked my iPhones.

Days? Really? Everyone I've done in Canada has taken maybe an hour and most of that time has been explaining to various departments at the carrier that I want to unlock. Once I get through to the unlocking team it takes about 3 minutes. The carriers have Apple provided and certified system which allow them to submit the IMEIs to Apple's whitelist.

I wonder what is different in OZ that it takes them thousands of times longer to make the same DB inserts.
  • Reply 27 of 75
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

Days? Really? Everyone I've done in Canada has taken maybe an hour and most of that time has been explaining to various departments at the carrier that I want to unlock. Once I get through to the unlocking team it takes about 3 minutes. The carriers have Apple provided and certified system which allow them to submit the IMEIs to Apple's whitelist.

I wonder what is different in OZ that it takes them thousands of times longer to make the same DB inserts.

It's actually shorter, advising a couple of days wait makes sure it's done just in case there are unforeseen circumstances.
  • Reply 28 of 75
    Quote:

It's actually shorter, advising a couple of days wait makes sure it's done just in case there are unforeseen circumstances.

I see.

Actually your other comment was interesting too:

Quote:

This was actually a loophole that was commonly used in Canada to have in contract iPhones unlocked. If you exchanged your phone with Apple, then the carrier lock carried over to the replacement but it was never registered in the carrier system. So, you could then call in and request the unlock. They would trace the IMEI, it would come back without any obligations listed and they would do the unlock. They fairly quickly closed this loophole by simply denying to unlock any iPhone that they couldn't find in their own IMEI database.
  • Reply 29 of 75
    notrsnotrs Posts: 46member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

MIne are not officially unlocked. I will wait until the jailbreak community gives the OK.

If you get it officially unlocked, then downgrade (assuming you backed up your blobs) I wonder if the unlock will still be in place?
  • Reply 30 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marku5 View Post

Is there any other way to contact at&t support than by phone? (EMAIL !!? )

i read something about online "live chat" [...]

I`d be very glad if you could help me with this!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by itisole View Post

When I called Sunday morning, I pressed "Technical Help" menu option and talked a rep.

She asked me for IMEI number, [...]

I will probably give ATT another call today, hoping to run into a CSR who could help me unlock the phone sooner than 5-7 business days...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

Days? Really? Everyone I've done in Canada has taken maybe an hour and most of that time [...]

In the UK, I'm with O2 and the way they does this is you just need to go to their 'unlockmysim' website, enter your phone number and IMEI and the next day they will txt you saying that your phone is now unlocked. The next time you connect to iTunes (to sync), it will again confirm and then it will kinda reset (or you may call it a restore) and everything is done. No need to phone up etc. Simples.
  • Reply 31 of 75
    Quote:

When I called Sunday morning, I pressed "Technical Help" menu option and talked a rep.

She asked me for IMEI number, created a "case" which later would be forwarded to "Unlocking Dept" and said someone would contact me within 5-7 business days.

She also asked for my email. So far I did not get any emails from ATT.

My phone is 3GS, out of contract and not active. I do not remember whether I bought it through Apple or ATT.

I really need to have it unlocked by Friday, because I was going to give it to someone going to Europe that day.

I will probably give ATT another call today, hoping to run into a CSR who could help me unlock the phone sooner than 5-7 business days...

In their defense most don't read blogs or anything. This was a surprise for most people at my call center. In fact the iphone unlock training doesn't start until this week. At & t did this with little warning to the very people who would be unlocking the phone.
  • Reply 32 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cheviot View Post

Have any non-AT&T customers attempted to get their long out-of-contract phones unlocked? Success?

I am not currently an ATT customer. I canceled service about 9 months ago. One of my iphones was the original that I used until June of 2011 and one was an iphone 4 that I paid the cancellation fee on.

Both were unlocked in less than 30 minutes. I got the message about unlocking on the 4 but not on the original. The original is now making calls on another network. I am still working on my SIM cutting technique for the 4.

ATT was very nice and friendly about the whole process, especially considering I haven't given them a dime in almost a year. As stated before the only bad part was the hold "music" being a giant ATT/android add.
  • Reply 33 of 75
    Quote:

She asked me for IMEI number, created a "case" which later would be forwarded to "Unlocking Dept" and said someone would contact me within 5-7 business days.

She also asked for my email. So far I did not get any emails from ATT.

My phone is 3GS, out of contract and not active. I do not remember whether I bought it through Apple or ATT.

I really need to have it unlocked by Friday, because I was going to give it to someone going to Europe that day.

I had the same experience on Sunday, but when I called back on monday they had the whole process streamlined.

Just call them back and you will be unlocked in about 30 minutes.
  • Reply 34 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by balsy2001 View Post

I had the same experience on Sunday, but when I called back on monday they had the whole process streamlined.

I called them again on Monday and mentioned the case number that had been created on Sunday.

The rep looked over the case and repeated the same story about having to wait up to 7 days. I said some people getting this matter resolved within the same day. I then was transfered to a manager... I hoped manager would say something different, But no, the manager repeated exactly the same thing, and said she can't do anything to speed up the process.

I'm now going to call them again and not mention the existing case. See if anything changes.
  • Reply 35 of 75
    fsad32fsad32 Posts: 20member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by balsy2001 View Post

Have you made Restore in iTunes with Original sim card inside iPhone?

I'm not sure but AT&T told me to restore using the original AT&T sim card which comes with phone, i lost them long time ago...

I wonder is it possible without sim inserted...inside my first gen and 3GS iPhones...

By the way - i'm not US citizen and i'm abroad now, but i've successfully made unlocking case at AT&T - they only asks about the operator in my country and the phone numbers on which jailbroken iPhones working now. Waiting for their confirmation email. This thing with sim card is only confusing me now.
  • Reply 36 of 75
    jcallowsjcallows Posts: 150member
    So I can unlock the locked iPhone 4 I bought at an Apple Store recently, even though I didn't by the contract? Technically, my iPhone 4 is out of contract because it was never in one. Has anyone in a similar situation been able to unlock theirs?
  • Reply 37 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jcallows View Post

So I can unlock the locked iPhone 4 I bought at an Apple Store recently, even though I didn't by the contract? Technically, my iPhone 4 is out of contract because it was never in one. Has anyone in a similar situation been able to unlock theirs?

If you bought it very recently and it wasn't on contract (so full price) and you bought it directly from Apple, it should already be unlocked. If it isn't then AT&T should unlock it for you, assuming you meet the rest of the eligibility requirements (i.e. have an account with them).
  • Reply 38 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post

In their defense most don't read blogs or anything. This was a surprise for most people at my call center. In fact the iphone unlock training doesn't start until this week. At & t did this with little warning to the very people who would be unlocking the phone.

I never understand why they do that. The same thing happened when Rogers in Canada started doing unlocked. Word spread through blogs but the employees were mostly unaware. Speaking to one of the people at the unlock dept on the first day it was offered, they also only ordered and received a single system from Apple to do the unlocks. They were hammered that first week with people calling to do the unlocks so some people were getting through to the unlock team and then having to wait for hours for the line up of staff at the computer to enter their IMEIs. They couldn't do it on any other system.

You'd think the carriers would understand that there would be high demand for the service and prepare accordingly.
  • Reply 39 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple II Plus View Post

You lucky AT&T out-of-contract customers! In Canada I have to pay my carrier, Fido, $50 to unlock the phone after it is out-of-contract. Highway robbery. I wonder why AT&T is so magnanimous in doing the unlock for free. I am out of contract up here in Canada so why should I pay to have it done?

Wow, up until last week when AT&T refused to unlock any iPhone for any reason, Canadians paying $50 were considered the lucky ones.
  • Reply 40 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Therbo View Post

Its weird, us Europeans have never ever had to restore our iPhones when unlocking them, and we've been able to unlock them for 4 years.

In the US companies like AT&T subsidize many iPhones; hence they want them locked to THEIR service.