AT&T's iPhone unlock process accomplished through Apple's iTunes

Comments

• Reply 41 of 75
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dbenampaka View Post

In the US companies like AT&T subsidize many iPhones; hence they want them locked to THEIR service.

That wasn't the question. The question is why does the unlock with AT&T require a restore through iTunes.
  • Reply 42 of 75
    I bought my 3gs in 2009 from someone who got it from at&t with a contract. Used it for couple of months with my own at&t SIM card. I have been overseas since the end of 2009 and has been using the phone through "unofficial" unlock. I would like it to be unlocked officially by at&t. Is it possible?? Btw, I don't have the contact of the person I bought the phone from anymore, so no idea how his account standing with at&t is nowadays. Is there anyone in this kind of situation too??
  • Reply 43 of 75
    Can iPhones purchased from eBay/Craigslist, etc. be unlocked by the buyer with the IMIE only and no access to info from the original AT&T account holder?
  • Reply 44 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

That wasn't the question. The question is why does the unlock with AT&T require a restore through iTunes.

Actually there was no question; Therbo made a statement. Anyways, AT&T does not "unlock" the iPhones; Apple does. AT&T forwards the IMEIs to Apple, Apple updates their data base, and when you restore though iTunes, the unlock code (command) is then transmitted to your phone. You recall that iTunes can re-lock jailbroken and unofficially unlocked iPhones, right? Same philosophy.
  • Reply 45 of 75
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Therbo View Post

Its weird, us Europeans have never ever had to restore our iPhones when unlocking them, and we've been able to unlock them for 4 years.

I was about to say the same thing. I thought all iPhones were unlocked before reading that they weren't from here. Why would the carriers do that, isn't the phone yours? Reason number 212 why I buy my phones outright and not lease them threw a carrier. It always pay's out in the long run, always. Besides I only get one year contracts. I replace my phone every 6 months, for the price of one phone I can have a new one every 6 months for 3 years. I just sell them every 6 months and only loose a maximum of 100 bucks off of the original price.

The trick is always buy a popular phone with a screen protector and case to make sure they are in perfect condition when you sell them. I have always been able to sell them and have never lost more then 90 bucks off of the purchase cost. Always shop around for the best price as possible to.
  • Reply 46 of 75
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dbenampaka View Post

Actually there was no question; Therbo made a statement. Anyways, AT&T does not "unlock" the iPhones; Apple does. AT&T forwards the IMEIs to Apple, Apple updates their data base, and when you restore though iTunes, the unlock code (command) is then transmitted to your phone. You recall that iTunes can re-lock jailbroken and unofficially unlocked iPhones, right? Same philosophy.

uhhh, yeah. And whether a restore through iTunes is required to complete the unlock or not has nothing to do with your subsequent comment "In the US companies like AT&T subsidize many iPhones; hence they want them locked to THEIR service."

So again, given that with other carriers, when they perform the identical unlock through Apple's mechanism, why does AT&T's instructions require an iTunes restore? I have had multiple iPhones unlocked through my carrier and I only used iTunes to restore the first. The second one I simply inserted a SIM from another carrier and presto, it accepted it. Worked for the next two as well.
  • Reply 47 of 75
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

My question is why does anything have to be done threw iTunes. It's great that we finally have OTA after what 4 and half years but how about severing all ties with a music player and give us a fikemanager Apple, please, I promise to eat all of my vegetables. While your at it I could really use a miniSD slot. Thanks, your friend Relic.
  • Reply 48 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cheviot View Post

Have any non-AT&T customers attempted to get their long out-of-contract phones unlocked? Success?

Yes I had my iPhone 4 unlocked without ever having an account I just said I was given it.

00 1-800- 331-0500

AT&T from the UK

Press 1

Press 0

Your in
  • Reply 49 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by M3mph15 View Post

I bought my 3gs in 2009 from someone who got it from at&t with a contract. Used it for couple of months with my own at&t SIM card. I have been overseas since the end of 2009 and has been using the phone through "unofficial" unlock. I would like it to be unlocked officially by at&t. Is it possible?? Btw, I don't have the contact of the person I bought the phone from anymore, so no idea how his account standing with at&t is nowadays. Is there anyone in this kind of situation too??

I had a similar situation they will never know if you unofficially unlocked it it's worth giving them a call
  • Reply 50 of 75
    rosujinrosujin Posts: 42member
    Can anyone confirm that we can unlock without iTunes (by unseating the SIM)?

I'm in Japan right now and will be traveling to China on Saturday with nothing but my iPhone and iPad. I won't have access to my computer until next month.

It would be great if I could simply buy a Chinese GSM sim card in Shanghai and have it "just work." I'm very weary about using my AT&T SIM abroad, even for a moment, as I'm unsure of what kind of crazy roaming charges I might incur.

I just received the confirmation email from AT&T giving me the goahead to unlock my phone via iTunes.

Has anyone received the unlock confirmation from AT&T and then just popped in a foreign SIM? Any thoughts or advice?
  • Reply 51 of 75
    fsad32fsad32 Posts: 20member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rosujin View Post

Can anyone confirm that we can unlock without iTunes (by unseating the SIM)?

I'm in Japan right now and will be traveling to China on Saturday with nothing but my iPhone and iPad. I won't have access to my computer until next month.

It would be great if I could simply buy a Chinese GSM sim card in Shanghai and have it "just work." I'm very weary about using my AT&T SIM abroad, even for a moment, as I'm unsure of what kind of crazy roaming charges I might incur.

I just received the confirmation email from AT&T giving me the goahead to unlock my phone via iTunes.

Has anyone received the unlock confirmation from AT&T and then just popped in a foreign SIM? Any thoughts or advice?

Of course No. You are on the locked modem firmware in iPhone now which you need to reset through iTunes to the unlocked one.

You can use any computer with iTunes to unlock your phone - because Imei checking going right by the Restore process and Apple (not AT&T) remotely unlocking your phone with reinstalling iOS. Very simple.
  • Reply 52 of 75
    gaogigaogi Posts: 1member
    Called in today to unlock a couple of phones. I bought these phones for my FIL contract free almost 2 years ago. They were promptly sent overseas and were never activated on AT&T's network. The rep said that I would need to provide proof of purchase for these phones before it can be unlocked, or the request will be rejected. I told her that these were bought almost 2 years ago, and I don't have the receipts for them anymore. She said she will open the case for me but it will most likely be rejected. I've been reading that people are getting their notice in less than an hour, and it's been a few hours since I called, and still haven't gotten anything from AT&T. The rep said that I would need to wait about 7 business days, so I guess it's thumb twiddling for me till then....
  • Reply 53 of 75
    tomotomo Posts: 1member
    i called at&t on monday the 9th to request an unlock for my 4s, & i received an email on thrusday the 12th saying that all i need to do is restore through iTunes. I really didn't expect them to unlock my phone, i just thought i'd give it a shot.
  • Reply 54 of 75

anyone tried out the thermal vision app?

its amaaaaaazing.its like the description says like "the eyes of a predator".gotta admit,the punch line is epic.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/thermal-vision/id420212521?mt=8

i was looking for a jail break for that but didnt find one (guilty),but its not even expensive so i bought it.a friend of mine recommended it and my money didnt go to waste.

gotta try it everyone ,its really fun to play around with =D =D

cheers.

• Reply 55 of 75

anyone tried out the thermal vision app?

its amaaaaaazing.its like the description says like "the eyes of a predator".gotta admit,the punch line is epic.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/thermal-vision/id420212521?mt=8

i was looking for a jail break for that but didnt find one (guilty),but its not even expensive so i bought it.a friend of mine recommended it and my money didnt go to waste.

gotta try it everyone ,its really fun to play around with =D =D

cheers.

• Reply 56 of 75

Could someone guide me with my iphone: it is a ATT phone locked however when I check in Apple's website it indicates that has been replaced. Does this means that it can't be unlocked? or just with the Imei even If I didn't purchase the phone they can help me?

• Reply 57 of 75
    juanc1juanc1 Posts: 1member

WOW!! ATT just unlocked me my iphone under 5 mins !!! I've found an easy way to connect to att online chat trough this link: http://liveperson.site88.net/att/onlinechat/cmd-file-file-visitorWantsToChat_site-6551SESSIONVAR-skill_customersupporttech-VISITORVAR_identifier-byhref_1-a2aSessid-813-a2aEventid_151-a2aSiteid-76162.html Its much better than calling them, they unlocked my 2nd iphone, no questions asked. Goood!!!

• Reply 58 of 75
    Can this be done with the new iPad? My computer crashed. Can I use the iCloud?
  • Reply 59 of 75

I used an unlocking service from http://www.attiphoneunlocking.com -  they unlocked my iphone in really fast. They offer a permanent unlocking service for any att locked iphone, they unlock them in maximum 24 hours. They also offer an extra fast unlocking service, 1-3 hours. they were the most professional unlocking service ive seen on the net.

• Reply 60 of 75

I unlocked my att iphone at http://www.attiphoneunlocking.com . My att iphone was unlocked in 8hours, it was cheap and fast. They offer a permanent att unlocking service, means your iphone will be unlocked like a factory unlocked iphone.

They unlocking any att iphone in max 24h, but they also provide fast 1-3 hours unlocking service.