Famous designer says Apple will reveal 'revolutionary' product within 8 months

Comments

• Reply 121 of 180
    Considering its open knowledge that Jobs placed an order with him to do work on his mega yacht in 2009, and that Starck's major focus for the past couple of years has been interior work and green energy, including the mega yacht called "A", it pretty obvious that is what he is referring to. Why else would he be meeting with Jobs wife?

As others have noted, Ives is certainly Starck's peer in design and his better in the kind of work that makes up Apple's DNA. No way is Starck designing some key innovation in Apple's product line. And given his industry rep and publicity savvy, its very likely that his coy statements are just a great way to promote himself through the buzz any Apple-related news generates.
  • Reply 122 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Filmantopia View Post

The whole point of Apple's, let's say, "iPanel", is that it will simplify and diversify the availability of content. Isn't that just what Apple has always done? Come through with negotiations over incredibly difficult/stingy/seemingly unsurmountable industries (music, mobile networks, etc.)? What makes the television/motion picture industries any different? Even if they don't win them all in the beginning, they will after they winning the market with their stunning TV-replacement.

You're being one of those people who doubted Apple could find success in music players, phones, or tablets. Now more than ever all the evidence is pointing toward this project being extremely successful. Not to mention that it is prime time, considering the tv market is in crisis.

You don't have to have faith in, or even be a fan of Apple to see this. It's logic. Just look at the numbers.

I understand the logic of your argument... Except that (in the US) the cablecos have their boot on the larynx of content delivery. With the music companies, and, to a lesser extent, the phone carrier(s) -- Apple introduced a compelling solution that they had to implement... "if you grab them by the balls, their hearts and minds will follow!"

I don't see Apple gaining a position of strength in home TV unless they offer an alternate delivery system -- or one that so greatly expands the capacity/capability of the current cablecos offering -- that the cablecos will be forced to go along with Apple.

• Reply 123 of 180
    There is only one "L" in Philippe.
  • Reply 124 of 180
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xavier83 View Post

Not Apple juice

What is the difference? The reason fruit juice is considered a health risk is that people often drink it quickly on an empty stomach and the natural sugars enter the blood stream rapidly causing an imbalance in insulin which can lead to increased risk of diabetes over time. If you want to drink fruit juices for the benefits of the natural vitamins and other nutrients, you should consume food at the same time which will slow down the absorption of the sugars to normal acceptable levels. Or simply eat the fruit instead of making juice with it. Then you get the added benefit of fiber.
  • Reply 125 of 180
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mr O View Post

I don't understand. Jonathan Ive & his team are doing a great job. Why having a big ego like STARK ruin the Apple aesthetic?

There's no need for a marketing gimmick.

I don't buy it for a second. If he did do anything for Apple he'd be working with the ID team and I just don't see that happening. Too much of an ego. Not sure what he thinks of Ive or the Apple ID team, but he did tell Dieter Rams that he thought Apple was ripping Rams off. Not sure Ive would agree to work with someone who thinks his talent is ripping off Dieter Rams.
  • Reply 126 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

This is interesting. Imagine Apple designing the entire car/human/electronics interface - the in-car computing as you say. Marc Newson tried this with the controls of the 021c. They were iPod like in their simplicity. Contrast that with the mind frak that is any German in-car computer and there is a need for the Apple/Ives touch. Perhaps apple could create CarOS and set the reference design. Then license it out to anyone.

Doesn't QNX have CarOS heritage -- especially in regard to monitoring and controlling the entire operation of the car...

Seems like a natural evolution would be to include AV entertainment and navigation.

• Reply 127 of 180
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,907member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I don't buy it for a second. If he did do anything for Apple he'd be working with the ID team and I just don't see that happening. Too much of an ego. Not sure what he thinks of Ive or the Apple ID team, but he did tell Dieter Rams that he thought Apple was ripping Rams off. Not sure Ive would agree to work with someone who thinks his talent is ripping off Dieter Rams.

So you don't think Ive ripped off Rams? Looking at photo comparisons of their work I would say he did. Or to be more polite, he used Rams' work as very deep inspiration.

I think Ive is amazing, but the similarity between his and Rams' work is startling.
  • Reply 128 of 180
    dickprinterdickprinter Posts: 1,060member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spleck View Post

The iPod nano will complete its transition to a watch, designed by Starck.

I agree with this, in combination with the unibody earbuds: http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...c_bonding.html

They will have a single wire connecting L & R plus bluetooth connectivity to the Nano.

Wear an iPod Nano watch on your wrist and play through newly designed earbuds.

Or it could be for a product that is out of Jony Ive's scope of design ability. Why would Apple need an outside designer to help with designing a CE product if they have Sir Jony, the King of modern day CE design, at the helm already?
  • Reply 129 of 180
    johnnashjohnnash Posts: 129member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by azentropy View Post

Probably just talking about the next iPhone. I don't see how a TV could fit a revolutionary design.

Maybe it's a TV that makes coffee? That would be revolutionary!
  • Reply 130 of 180
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mr O View Post

I don't understand. Jonathan Ive & his team are doing a great job. Why having a big ego like STARK ruin the Apple aesthetic?

There's no need for a marketing gimmick.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I don't know this Stark guy but I think it's plausible Apple uses outside talent for developing designs.

Here is an interesting article about Steve Jobs on first seeing the Segway. I recommend reading the whole thing as it gives a lot of insight into how Steve thinks but I'll point out this one part...
    Quote:

"I think it's coming along," said Tim, "though we expect—" "I think it sucks!" said Jobs.

His vehemence made Tim pause. "Why?" he asked, a bit stiffly.

"It just does."

"In what sense?" said Tim, getting his feet back under him. "Give me a clue."

"Its shape is not innovative, it's not elegant, it doesn't feel anthropomorphic," said Jobs, ticking off three of his design mantras.

"You have this incredibly innovative machine but it looks very traditional." The last word delivered like a stab. Doug Field and Scott Waters would have felt the wound; they admired Apple's design sense. Dean's intuition not to bring Doug had been right. "There are design firms out there that could come up with things we've never thought of," Jobs continued, "things that would make you shit in your pants."

There wasn't much to say to that, so after a pause Tim began again: "Well, let's keep going, because we don't have much time today to-" "We do have time," said Doerr curtly, changing his own ground rules. "We want to get Steve's and Jeff's ideas."

"The problem at this point is lead time in our schedule," said Tim. Jobs snapped his head from Doerr on one side to Dean on the other, as if he'd been slapped. "That's backwards," he said, his voice rising.

"Screw the lead times. You don't have a great product yet! I know burn rates are important, but you'll only get one shot at this, and if you blow it, it's over."

• Reply 131 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Regardless of what you think or why you yourself buy Apple products the truth is a good majority of people buy Apple devices because they are "sleek and sexy"

1. Computers already existed- adding the word personal to it did not make it a new product.

2. There were already touch screen/music players, putting them together in one package is still not new.

3. Tablets existed before the iPad.

1. Yeah, all you needed to add was a kb, TV-Typewriter circuitry, Dazzler boards for graphics and color, Assembler and BASIC languages... the Apple ][ Had all those things and game paddles -- you plugged an RF modulator into the Apple and the TV -- any person could do it!

2. Doing it so people could actulally use them, and wanted to buy them was new!

3. And they sucked. Apple sold more iPads in the first year than tablets sold in the prior 10 years.

• Reply 132 of 180
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by giffnyc View Post

Considering its open knowledge that Jobs placed an order with him to do work on his mega yacht in 2009, and that Starck's major focus for the past couple of years has been interior work and green energy, including the mega yacht called "A", it pretty obvious that is what he is referring to. Why else would he be meeting with Jobs wife?

Woohoo!!! I've got it.

Apple's going to be producing a Starck-designed yacht.

Or maybe a sexbot using Mrs. Jobs as the model.

Or maybe a sexbot driving a yacht.

Or maybe something else.

• Reply 133 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OnePotato View Post

Is it any coincidence that 8 months from now also happens to be the same time that experts predict the world will come to an end? I think not!

The iSaver, it will save all of humanity.
  • Reply 134 of 180
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Apple's going to be producing a Starck-designed yacht.

CultOfMac erroneously claims that this is the yacht Steve designed. It's absolutely hideous.

• Reply 135 of 180
    Just can't trust any "cheese eating surrender monkeys". No matter what they say.
  • Reply 136 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

CultOfMac erroneously claims that this is the yacht Steve designed. It's absolutely hideous.

No way. Lacks simplicity, minimal aesthetic. Less is the new more.
  • Reply 137 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Tablets existed before the iPad.

yes, but they were never the same after iPad.
  • Reply 138 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I don't know this Stark guy but I think it's plausible Apple uses outside talent for developing designs.

Here is an interesting article about Steve Jobs on first seeing the Segway. I recommend reading the whole thing as it gives a lot of insight into how Steve thinks but I'll point out this one part...

According to LinkedIn Doug Field is currently a VP of product design at Apple. Not sure who he works for or if he's part of Ive's ID team. I did a patent search and his name didn't come up at all with Apple. A while back Apple hired Richard DeVaul to work on wearable electronics. I believe he's since left the company but when he was there he was working under Jony Ive. I could maybe see Stark collaborating with the ID team on something but more likely if he's involved with Apple it's designing a new store or finishing Steve's yacht.
  • Reply 139 of 180
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

No way. Lacks simplicity, minimal aesthetic. Less is the new more.

Well since we have covered almost every other topic might as well take it a little further.

Simplicity is a nice thing as long as you don't lose important functionality to achieve simplicity. A trimaran is a very important configuration for stability and safety but it does tend to complicate the hull design. Perhaps there is a bit too much complexity with the windscreens here, but most of that design is an essential part of the functionality.
  • Reply 140 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

Or it could be for a product that is out of Jony Ive's scope of design ability. Why would Apple need an outside designer to help with designing a CE product if they have Sir Jony, the King of modern day CE design, at the helm already?

They don't. We have no idea what Stark is referring to and something could have been lost in translation. If he really is working with Apple on a new product design (TV or something else) no way would he be talking about it publicly. As far as we know since Ive took it over the Apple ID team hasn't worked with other high profile industrial designers. If it didn't happen when Ive and team were just getting started I can't see it happening now when they've really hit their stride and are considered the best in their industry.