Indie biopic about Steve Jobs to begin filming in May in hopes of Q4 release

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014

The independent film about the late Steve Jobs and the early years of Apple is scheduled to begin filming next month as it prepares for a fourth-quarter 2012 release, according to the movie's producer.

Operating under the working title "Jobs: Get Inspired," the independent film will focus on the period between 1971 and 2000, Mark Hulme told Neowin recently.

Actor Ashton Kutcher has signed on to play Jobs in the movie. The news of Kutcher's involvement caused a stir at the beginning of the month because many assumed that it was a practical joke for April Fool's Day.

Hulme reassured that the actor is serious about the role. He told the publication that he and his team had been looking for an actor to "carry not only the youthfulness of Job at the time but also the psychological complexity."

"Because of that, and Ashton's physical similarities to Jobs, he's perfect for our film," he said.

Kutcher himself reportedly believes the role of Jobs was "meant for him." The actor is said to have canceled "all other projects' in order to focus on the film. Hulme said earlier this month that he believes the film will be "award-worthy."

Left: Ashton Kutcher, Right: Steve Jobs in 1977, via Hollywood Reporter | Credit: Getty Images.

When asked whether Jobs' family, friends and fans will appreciate the movie, Hulme said he expects them to enjoy the film because it will present an "accurate and inspirational portrayal" of Jobs' life. The movie is not based on one particular source about Jobs and will draw from "a wealth of source material."

Joshua Michael Stern has signed on to direct the film. Management is also in talks with actors to cast less-central characters, such as Steve Wozniak, John Scully, Mike Markkula and Daniel Kottke.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    i can only imagine how bad this movie will be. Mainly due to the whole covering 30 years of time. They will either cut out huge chunks of the story or it will be lopsided in how much it covers of this or that.

and then there's the casting. It feels too much like they went for someone based totally on looks which is a total ugh

Add to it a first time producer with no other experience in the industry as anything. And a director with the scant credits of two films both of which he also wrote. Both of which were of questionable quality (I've seen both and thought Swing Vote very dumb and Neverwas merely so so)
  • Reply 2 of 24
    Why not Charlie Sheen? Since A.K. took over in Two & Half Men, only fair for Charlie to take this part over from him.
  • Reply 3 of 24
    I have no confidence this movie, or the promised Sony movie based on Isaacson's book will have any quality.

Kutcher doesn't have the acting chops -- at least I haven't seen any that could carry a movie. I just can't see Steve Jobs portrayed as a one-off Kelso.

The Sony picture based on Isaacson's book? No chance. Isaacson can do a great historical book, but his book on Jobs was rushed and nowhere near the quality. Rush and quality are incompatible. A quality book on Jobs is a five to ten year project; and a movie screen play must come after.
  • Reply 4 of 24

I wonder if they will use FCP X to edit the movie.
  • Reply 5 of 24
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Recipe for Success:

1. Make movie about subject matter previously covered perfectly by another movie released over ten years earlier.

2. Hire director with unproven track record.

3. Hire main actor with proven track record. A bad one.

4. Announce said movie details on April Fools, just to show how seriously the project is being taken.

5. Give movie a gay, work-in-progress movie title like 'Get Inspired!'.

6. Rush to complete movie so that it can be released at the end of the year when all the 'real' movies are released.

7. Add a monkey to the script.

8. Sit back, relax, and watch the money roll in.
  • Reply 6 of 24
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    I'd rather see them cover Jobs in his pre-school years. Like this:

http://scoopertino.com/new-steve-job...-school-years/
  • Reply 7 of 24
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTR View Post

5. Give movie a gay, work-in-progress movie title like 'Get Inspired!'.

How is a movie title "gay"?

Is it happy and joyous? Homosexual?
  • Reply 8 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I wonder if they will use FCP X to edit the movie.

Not even Pixar uses FCP X.
  • Reply 9 of 24
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

gay has many definitions both formally and in slang. Look it up.
  • Reply 10 of 24
    Quote:

Whooop! Whooop! PC Nazis detected! Dive! Dive! Dive!
  • Reply 11 of 24
    Quote:

If it's called That 70s Movie: The Aston Kutchering of Steve Jobs then yes, it's a gay title, in whatever sense you think it means.
  • Reply 12 of 24
    Who likes the idea of an "indie" biopic?

I want an Indian biopic with some big Bollywood dance numbers.
  • Reply 13 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Whooop! Whooop! PC Nazis detected! Dive! Dive! Dive!

What comes around goes around. People should be more kind.
  • Reply 14 of 24
    mike fixmike fix Posts: 270member
    I wish they'd just pick up where Pirates of Silicon Valley left off. Though, it would really be Pirates of Silicon Valley 3, as The Social Network was Pirates of Silicon Valley 2.
  • Reply 15 of 24
    cmvsmcmvsm Posts: 204member
    Ashton Kutcher and an Academy Award are polar opposites.
  • Reply 16 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

gay has many definitions both formally and in slang. Look it up.

Right, but obviously he's being rhetorical. You do see how the term used in a derogatory fashion would be offensive? Just because people use it that way doesn't mean they should.
  • Reply 17 of 24
    You all have no power over the existence of this film...

Be wary, but hope for the best...that's what I'm doing.
  • Reply 18 of 24
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post

Who likes the idea of an "indie" biopic?

I want an Indian biopic with some big Bollywood dance numbers.

Shahrukh Khan can play Steve Jobs

• Reply 19 of 24
    kkerstkkerst Posts: 330member
    The script won't even include anything about the iPhone introduction? Waste of time. They could at least include up to 2007.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    Hmm, the director's highest rating at Rotten Tomatoes is 38%. Not promising. That said, I'll probably watch it anyway.