Designer Philippe Starck confirms 'revolutionary' project is Jobs family yacht

Comments

• Reply 21 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by akf2000 View Post

does it have an iPod dock?

Those blue squares on the roof are a bunch of iPads working as Solar Panels. Go Green!!!
  • Reply 22 of 55
    webfrassewebfrasse Posts: 147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Orlando View Post

Steve Jobs also had a private jet.

Nope, Apple had one that he could use.
  • Reply 23 of 55
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AjitMD View Post

Even though SJ's wife is wealthy in the $Bs, owning a yacht is pain and expensive. Unless you live in one and it is a passion, it just makes sense to rent. Want to sail the Caribean? No problem... there are all kinds of boats for rent. Prefer European waters? Just wire the money and they will pick you up from your private jet in a limo and stamp your passport at the gate. Same thing with private jets... just get a NJ account. After your are finished, just pass the gratuities and wipe your mouth. No fuss, no muss.

LOL. Good sense of humor.
  • Reply 24 of 55
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by haar View Post

i hope thAt this boat is bigger and has more taste (alot like Apple products) than Bill gate's boat!... i hope so because it will be a showdown of 5 BILLION (the Jobs' fortune) vs 50 BILLION (the Gates' fortune)

Didn't Mr. Gates say that he was going to give away his fortune?...

I wonder if he is going to stop when his fortune is equal to the Jobs' fortune...

Gates has already given away something like half of his fortune - and is committed to giving away another very large part upon his death.

One can criticize Gates for many things, but his generosity is not one of them.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by techno View Post

I think you missed Marvin's meaning? Marvin did you mean that it would be no fun without Steve?

Maybe she's planning to take me along.....
  • Reply 25 of 55
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lukei View Post

The two happiest days of a Yacht owners life. The day they buy it and the day they sell it.

Except for the ones that have sail boats - so much more zen.

But that is one ostentatious butt ugly boat.
  • Reply 26 of 55
    lvidallvidal Posts: 158member
    Hmmm?. I don't believe it.

Why should he talk about an "Apple revolutionary product" when it is a personal project of Job's family? He knows the difference of that very well. Anybody knows in fact.

My guess is that he was called by Apple to view and give an opinion of that "revolutionary product" and then his tongue betrayed him talking more than it should.
  • Reply 27 of 55
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lvidal View Post

Why should he talk about an "Apple revolutionary product" when it is a personal project of Job's family? He knows the difference of that very well. Anybody knows in fact.

My guess is that he was called by Apple to view and give an opinion of that "revolutionary product" and then his tongue betrayed him talking more than it should.

You're picking on the wording of something that has been requoted and translated? Absurd.
  • Reply 28 of 55
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lvidal View Post

If that is what he said he is just using Apple lingo to 'sell' it. The boat certainly looks like a Philippe Starck design. Why it would appeal to Jobs is a mystery to me, however.
  • Reply 29 of 55
    knightlieknightlie Posts: 282member
    Guys, there's nothing in the article to indicate that that picture has anything to do with Jobs' boat. It's a concept drawing.
  • Reply 30 of 55
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by webfrasse View Post

Nope, Apple had one that he could use.

Actually Apple gave him a G5 as bonus on year to replace his old jet. Steve owned it and rented it back to Apple to use it for business, it was probably part or a Netjet fleet since many companies now lease time on their companies jets to help defer costs.
  • Reply 31 of 55
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Gates has already given away something like half of his fortune - and is committed to giving away another very large part upon his death.

By given you mean "invested in a trust that helps schools/health institutions get better by buying Windows"?
  • Reply 32 of 55
    markbyrnmarkbyrn Posts: 661member
    Since Jobs was inputting into the design, I'll be most interested to see the results.
  • Reply 33 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by markbyrn View Post

Since Jobs was inputting into the design, I'll be most interested to see the results.

Jobs was a great CEO. But for industrial design, he hired other people.
  • Reply 34 of 55
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by l008com View Post

The only thing minimalist about that thing is maybe it's paint job. That's a massive boat. And unless Jobs was secretly a drug smuggler, I can't imagine that the interior would be all open space. "minimalism" and "boats greater than 30' long" don't mix.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SiMBa37 View Post

I have a feeling that the little blue squares are decorative and not really windows, otherwise it would like a whole lot like this:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BuzDots View Post

I personally think the damn thing is gorgeous, and if that's they way they want to spend their money - more power to 'em

http://ia600401.us.archive.org/2/ite...pipeaboard.mp3

Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Except for the ones that have sail boats - so much more zen.

But that is one ostentatious butt ugly boat.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by knightlie View Post

Guys, there's nothing in the article to indicate that that picture has anything to do with Jobs' boat. It's a concept drawing.

The pictured yacht has nothing to do with Jobs. It's "Breathe", a concept that Feadship did for the Monaco Yacht show. Stark has done designs for Feadship, Feadship is building Jobs' yacht, so there you go.

I'm assuming AI just wanted an illustration of something from the relevant ship company, but it would have been nice if they had made it clearer that it wasn't actually what Stark is designing.
  • Reply 35 of 55
    Quote:

Even though SJ's wife is wealthy in the $Bs, owning a yacht is pain and expensive. Unless you live in one and it is a passion, it just makes sense to rent. Want to sail the Caribean? No problem... there are all kinds of boats for rent. Prefer European waters? Just wire the money and they will pick you up from your private jet in a limo and stamp your passport at the gate. Same thing with private jets... just get a NJ account. After your are finished, just pass the gratuities and wipe your mouth. No fuss, no muss.

I've seen a number of large yachts owned by wealthy folk (some in excess of 100 ft or better) all of which have full-time crews standing by to take you wherever you want to go. If Laurene wants to take the kids on a cruise of the Med, she just let's the crew know - they sail the yacht to the port of call, and the family flies there to join the yacht in the Med for the cruise.

It is a whole different level of operation from merely "renting" a boat.
  • Reply 36 of 55
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

I think the same about houses. Why buy multiple houses round the world when you can just rent or get a plush hotel.

Other people's cooties. Nuff sed.
  • Reply 37 of 55
    I look forward to buying one of these Jobs-class yachts from Target stores.
  • Reply 38 of 55
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by l008com View Post

The only thing minimalist about that thing is maybe it's paint job. That's a massive boat. And unless Jobs was secretly a drug smuggler, I can't imagine that the interior would be all open space. "minimalism" and "boats greater than 30' long" don't mix.

Jobs cruised from Italy to Turkey. swells can be higher than 5m there... that might be fun for a thrill seeker in a 30' boat, but not a billionaire cruising with his family. Minimalizm isn't miniaturization.

I agree w/ the renting plan. do you have any idea how much money it costs to ship a boat from Los Angeles to Monaco? i mean what Billionaire wants to spend 2 weeks on their boat to get from A to B. Ahh the problems the super rich have - we're so lucky not to have to deal with all the trouble.
  • Reply 39 of 55
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:

Even though SJ's wife is wealthy in the $Bs, owning a yacht is pain and expensive.

Mrs. Jobs is so insanely wealthy that she can pay for a pain-free existence with the yacht out of pocket change and not even bat an eyelash. Your comments in this regard aren't even relevant to her circumstances. She and the family can decide to go for a cruise on the world's most kick-ass custom ship once in a while and not think about it the rest of the time. That's her reality, and if she wants to do it, then power to her. Rent a yacht. Sheesh.

Thompson
  • Reply 40 of 55
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

do you have any idea how much money it costs to ship a boat from Los Angeles to Monaco?

It's nothing to a billionaire. If I had that kind of scratch, I'd do it too.

Thompson