Apple retail stores 'bulging at the seams' at 8400 average square feet

Comments

• Reply 21 of 53
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

In my experience (two St. Louis, Mo stores) the majority of people in the Apple store are not there to buy something. They are waiting in line to speak to a genius. I see it all the time.

Are you suggesting that Apple products require more support than competitors' offerings? People are milling about the entire store. How do you know why each one is there? I always see a lot of white Apple logo bags leaving the store.

Also, as crowded as Apple stores are I would estimate that many times more product is sold online than in retail stores, including all the store within a store locations.

• Reply 22 of 53
    cherrypopcherrypop Posts: 86member

One shareholder's perspective:

As some people here have pointed out, "over-crowded" stores do deter _some_ potential shoppers, and that's obviously not a good thing.  

But crowded stores, in my humble opinion, do more to help Apple than hurt Apple.  In fact, I'm less concerned about over-crowding than I am about Apple stores that might eventually feel rather empty and huge.

My solution? Open more 6,000+/- sqft stores in markets where over-crowding is a true problem, and continue to very _selectively_ open the 15,000 sqft and larger stores.

• Reply 23 of 53

Quote:

Originally Posted by cherrypop View Post

One shareholder's perspective:

As some people here have pointed out, "over-crowded" stores do deter _some_ potential shoppers, and that's obviously not a good thing.  

Nobody goes to Apple stores anymore.  They are way too crowded!

-- Apologies to Yogi Berra

• Reply 24 of 53
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,906member

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Do we know if larger would really translate into more sales? 

This is what I was wondering.  Seems Apple should be cautious in how they up size stores.  It makes sense to have some very large stores in the mega cities of the world, but in smaller places bigger stores might be a risky proposition.  I can only think of the big car companies who built giant factories everywhere when times were good only to shut them down and lay everyone off when sales inevitably drop.  We don't like to think of this, but someday there will be a drop in sales for Apple.  What would be the better scenario:  big stores that look half empty of customers, or smaller stores that still look busy and successful?  

• Reply 25 of 53
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member

Quote:

Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

I always like your posts, but I like it more when you 're original and more biting. 

• Reply 26 of 53
    cherrypopcherrypop Posts: 86member

Quote:

Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

Read my my solution, which I included with my original post.

• Reply 27 of 53
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by not1lost View Post

It is irritating how I have to drive over 100 miles to the other side of Memphis to the closest store. You'd think with the success of their products and huge amount of revenue they'd have many more stores. Probably another stupid board decision.....

More like it isn't just their decision. Believe it or not they have to deal with landlords etc. They can't just wave their hands and have all the permissions and space to build whatever they want, where and when they want. 

• Reply 28 of 53
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

The Apple Retail Store at the Promenade located at 17711 Chenal Parkway in Little Rock Arkansas is relatively quiet.  I have not seen more than 40 customers in the store at once; actually quite enjoyable as opposed to Apple Store Valley Fair located at Valley Fair Mall at 2855 Stevens Creek Blvd in Santa Clara California.

It's also a relatively new store in an area that isn't known for being hip to current tech and just dying to go hang out at a store.

The Promenade (and yes I am very familiar with it cause I have family in the area) isn't a mall in the sense of say Park Plaza or the old University Mall across the street that had movie theaters, food court etc for the kids from Forest Heights, Catholic and Hall High and the Mount to go chill. Those loitering high school kids are a major traffic issue in many stores. Not just Apple but bookstores etc. 

Also, the whole Chenal area isn't exactly conducive to going to attend classes and such. Yes I know that Little Rock is spreading west but it isn't quite there yet. Many folks aren't likely to go all the way out there to go to a One to One or a workshop since they have little other reason to go there. Putting the store there was probably easier since the Promenade was still in the early stages and under construction so they were wooing 'high class' type places but really the new Target center build on the Univ Mall grounds would probably have been a smarter pick if they really wanted traffic. 

As for the current stores in any area, the real issue isn't the paying customers. It's the other services. It's too dang noisy in most stores to really hear a class or even a teacher right next to you. They need to expand their stores and put things like the tech services and the teaching in their own areas. The Grove in LA has a good layout for this. You buy downstairs, you teach and learn upstairs. They even have a small theatre for their workshops. or did the last time I was over there. I've heard Apple isn't building those areas anymore. I overheard someone at Third Street when I was there about a month ago saying theirs isn't being moved to the new store either and I worry about how that's going to work out for them because they are a huge event store for this area. 

• Reply 29 of 53
    carthusiacarthusia Posts: 585member

I've been to every Apple store in New York and the buzz is off the charts at each one. It's part of the hype, especially for New Yorkers, who directly associate waiting in line for retail sales, tickets, etc. to the thing being more desirable.

It seems tricky, managing this sort of growth. Too many stores and the brand is diluted, too few and the crowds are maddening.

I usually don't need to wait long to get a retail rep's attention. That would suck. They have some innovative solutions, for example, EasyPay and using the Apple Store App to schedule Genius bar appointments

FWIW, the 5th Avenue store has a huge pickup scene.

• Reply 30 of 53
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member

When these stores were initially conceived and launched, Apple was just selling Macs. The iPod launched in October 2001, six months after the first Apple Retail Store opened. The big traffic drivers to the stores have been the iPhone (2007) and iPad (2010), and unsurprisingly, the iPhone especially has been the key to Apple's growth in both revenue and profit.

The downtown Palo Alto store, so pleasant to visit in the middle of the last decade is now woefully undersized. I look forward to new store's opening, although I will always think of the current store as Steve's.

• Reply 31 of 53
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

In my experience (two St. Louis, Mo stores) the majority of people in the Apple store are not there to buy something. They are waiting in line to speak to a genius. I see it all the time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Are you suggesting that Apple products require more support than competitors' offerings? People are milling about the entire store. How do you know why each one is there? I always see a lot of white Apple logo bags leaving the store.

Also, as crowded as Apple stores are I would estimate that many times more product is sold online than in retail stores, including all the store within a store locations.

What I see are people sitting there with their laptops, iPhones, iPads, etc. looking at the genius appointment display and tapping their fingers on the table. Just my personal observation at two stores in my area. 

• Reply 32 of 53
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

Makes me wonder if they choose to keep stores smaller so they always look really packed.  Are Microsoft stores bigger in size?  I know the one here in Minneapolis at the Mall of America is usually dead while the Apple store right across from it is usually packed.  The only people I see at the Microsoft store are those playing around with XBox.

• Reply 33 of 53
    mactacmactac Posts: 318member

The stores are crowded because people come in and play on the computers. What Apple needs is to make their stores like McDonald's. Have the "Playland" separate from the part of the store where buyers are.

• Reply 34 of 53
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    jragosta wrote: »
    Agreed. I've never seen an Apple store that wasn't packed with customers.
    Remember when Apple launched the stores? All the naysayers saying "Dell tried it and it didn't work" and "Apple is really doomed this time"..... It is really funny to see how it turned out.

And so much better than the sad, unattended "store within a store" outlets that Apple tried in the late 90s at select CompUSA stores. Of course, CompUSA stores didn't see that much retail foot traffic shortly before they went out of business on their own. Apple's retail operations are far friendlier and staffed by people who seem to know what they are talking about, not some bored high school dropouts.
  • Reply 35 of 53
    jollypauljollypaul Posts: 328member

The larger stores will have a vest wearing genius at the door: Welcome to Applemart. The tram to isle 623 leaves in 5 minutes at the main terminal. Welcome to Applemart...

• Reply 36 of 53
    not1lostnot1lost Posts: 136member
    Also as far as good locations go as quoted above and college towns the Arkansas State Univerity is in mine and they have to drive over 100 miles to the nearest location in Memphis. It is a booming town and was even noted in Forbes magazine as one of America's most prosperous cities. Building and new development is unbelievable even in this economy. It's rediculous for Apple not to have a store here.

"most people are buying on line" of corse they are there is no store in any reasonable distance..... How much more would they sell if there were where people could go in and actually see, try out, and talk to a real person about these awesome machines!

"isn't just there decision, they have to deal with landlords - build anywhere ..... Really? Really? Like Apple can't buy land and build a store? They have "rent" a building? How often do you get outside and drive around? Is that the best you can come up with? I hope your not on the board....

I assure you there are plenty of retail development areas booming that would GLADLY sell Apple a spot and build to suit.... And ts not like they can't afford it... Besides thar it would probably pay for itself in the first five years....

I believe business building expense is usually a tax right-off too ....
  • Reply 37 of 53
    not1lostnot1lost Posts: 136member
    COME TO JONESBORO ARKANSAS APPLE!
    We'll relieve some of that pressure !
    Home of Arkansas State Universty!
    "Recently Forbes magazine released their annual "best places for business and careers" rankings and they apparently agree that "It's Great in Jonesboro!'  In the ranking of the best small metros for business and careers, Jonesboro placed 46 out of 179,  ranking ahead of Pine Bluff and Hot Springs, making it the highest ranking Arkansas small metro.  In the rankings, the Southeast is home to half of the top ten for the third straight year."

http://www.jonesbororealestate.com/about-jonesboro.php
  • Reply 38 of 53
    michael scripmichael scrip Posts: 1,916member
    I had a Genius Bar appointment at an Apple store in Charlotte, NC at 10am one morning.

There were quite a few people in the Apple store at that time... while the rest of the mall was a ghost town.

This is what I could easily identify:

- a group of 7 people in the back of the store taking a class
    - a husband and wife meeting with a Genius having new software installed on their Macbook
    - a guy brought in his iMac and was meeting with a Genius about something to do with FCP X
    - a few people having something done with their iPhones (transferring contacts from an old phone, I think)

Again... this was all at 10am... while some other stores at the mall barely had their doors open yet.

Now it's true that those people in the store that morning probably weren't buying anything new... but they did own some Apple product already. And if they get great service and support... they will buy Apple again.

To those who say most people in Apple stores are just browsing... remember that Apple Stores have the highest retail sales per square foot. So they are making sales after all.
  • Reply 39 of 53
    minicaptminicapt Posts: 219member

Quote:

Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

I always like your posts, but I like it more when you 're original and more biting. 

Zizzy often neglects to cite his sources. His originality derives from his facile copying.

Yogi Berra- On why he no longer went to Ruggeri's, a St. Louis restaurant: "Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded."

• Reply 40 of 53
    fast fredfast fred Posts: 24member

A Lot of money in Hot Springs, friends of mine have to go to Little Rock to buy their Apple stuff. I'm in Metairie La. the bedroom of New orleans. We have a tiny Apple store,

always packed. Nothing in New Orleans. What's up with that Apple?