Apple retail stores 'bulging at the seams' at 8400 average square feet

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 53

Quote:

Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

Nobody goes to Apple stores anymore.  They are way too crowded!

I always like your posts, but I like it more when you 're original and more biting. 

I  should have credited Yogi Berra.  I'll go back and edit it.  :)

• Reply 42 of 53

Quote:

Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Do we know if larger would really translate into more sales? 

This is what I was wondering.  Seems Apple should be cautious in how they up size stores.  It makes sense to have some very large stores in the mega cities of the world, but in smaller places bigger stores might be a risky proposition.  I can only think of the big car companies who built giant factories everywhere when times were good only to shut them down and lay everyone off when sales inevitably drop.  We don't like to think of this, but someday there will be a drop in sales for Apple.  What would be the better scenario:  big stores that look half empty of customers, or smaller stores that still look busy and successful?  

Stores can be downsized as well as upsized.  I think you are too pessimistic.  Apple stores are doing fabulously well,  All indications are that they will continue to do very, very well for the foreseeable future.  IMO.

• Reply 43 of 53

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

More like it isn't just their decision. Believe it or not they have to deal with landlords etc. They can't just wave their hands and have all the permissions and space to build whatever they want, where and when they want. 

They have a LOT of leverage in negotiations.  They are a destination store that any landlord would covet.  They are in a position to get nearly anything they ask for with many, many landlords.  
  • Reply 44 of 53
    rkevwillrkevwill Posts: 224member

Yup, the stores were designed originally with no one at the door, and the register in back. Things have changed now, and they need to re-think the layout. Some of the stores have indeed changed, but the greeter at the door is kind of a pain. I usually just blow them off and go back and check for what I want. Maybe the day will come if you blow off the greeter, alarms and bells sound like you are leaving the store with an iPad under your jacket, but I hope not.

• Reply 45 of 53
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    rkevwill wrote: »
    Yup, the stores were designed originally with no one at the door, and the register in back. Things have changed now, and they need to re-think the layout. Some of the stores have indeed changed, but the greeter at the door is kind of a pain. I usually just blow them off and go back and check for what I want. Maybe the day will come if you blow off the greeter, alarms and bells sound like you are leaving the store with an iPad under your jacket, but I hope not.

I think the greeter is just a facade. I'm thinking they are there to protect against potential theft. Of maybe not because using my iPhone's Apple Store app to buy my Airport Express last year really felt like stealing. i was going to leave by looking around suspiciously and then sprinting out of the store but I chickened out.
  • Reply 46 of 53

My father was in the Restaurant business for over 40 years. He only finished the 9th grade, cause thats the way it was done in the Ozarks in 1929. However, he had one very wise saying....."small restaurants full, make a LOT more money than big restaurants half full." He also was proud that he never ever laid any employees off :)

• Reply 47 of 53

I think without a doubt, there is some credence to the greeter as security comment.

• Reply 48 of 53
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    cherrypop wrote: »
    One shareholder's perspective:

As some people here have pointed out, "over-crowded" stores do deter _some_ potential shoppers, and that's obviously not a good thing.  

But crowded stores, in my humble opinion, do more to help Apple than hurt Apple.  In fact, I'm less concerned about over-crowding than I am about Apple stores that might eventually feel rather empty and huge.

My solution? Open more 6,000+/- sqft stores in markets where over-crowding is a true problem, and continue to very _selectively_ open the 15,000 sqft and larger stores.

I don't think there's any danger of feeling empty. My local apple store is pretty busy within half an hour of opening, something I've not seen in any other kind of store.
  • Reply 49 of 53
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I think the greeter is just a facade. I'm thinking they are there to protect against potential theft. Of maybe not because using my iPhone's Apple Store app to buy my Airport Express last year really felt like stealing. i was going to leave by looking around suspiciously and then sprinting out of the store but I chickened out.

I don't think there's ever been any serious doubt about that.

If you read any case studies on Walmart, it was clear from the start that the cost of the greeter would be more than made up by reduced shoplifting losses. The same principle applies to Apple.
  • Reply 50 of 53
    fredaroonyfredaroony Posts: 619member

Quote:

Originally Posted by kozchris View Post

These stores can definitely use some more space. Every Apple store I have been to has been too crowded. My wife hates to even go in one now because they are so crowded. Good problem to have to deal with especially if you are a shareholder.

Even worse if you have an appointment to get something fixed and you have to wait a long time. There is much place to stand and you always feel like you are in the way of someone...very annoying.

• Reply 51 of 53
    constable odoconstable odo Posts: 1,041member

Why should Apple bother to increase the size of their retail stores?  Wall Street has already modeled Apple for $0 future growth, so why should Apple spend more money only to get nothing in return.

• Reply 52 of 53

I agree with others in saying the problem isn't the size of the stores, it's how they manage customers.  In my experiences I just stand around till someone helps me, and then they rush to the back and deal with other customers and I sit and worry that they might have forgotten about me.  It seems too disorganized.  I suppose it's a more fluid experience than standing in a long line, but with the technology at hand I'm sure that they could come up with a solution that handles traffic better and keeps the customer from getting bored in a line.  A system not too dissimilar to grabbing a number at a deli comes to mind,  right now I feel like it's whoever comes around to you.

• Reply 53 of 53
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    I agree with others in saying the problem isn't the size of the stores, it's how they manage customers.  In my experiences I just stand around till someone helps me, and then they rush to the back and deal with other customers and I sit and worry that they might have forgotten about me.  It seems too disorganized.  I suppose it's a more fluid experience than standing in a long line, but with the technology at hand I'm sure that they could come up with a solution that handles traffic better and keeps the customer from getting bored in a line.  A system not too dissimilar to grabbing a number at a deli comes to mind,  right now I feel like it's whoever comes around to you.

Have you tried the self-checkout process?