Apple's next iPhone coming in September, 7" iPad launching in August - report

Comments

• Reply 21 of 66
    aknabiaknabi Posts: 211member

<rolleyes>yeah because you're all knowing and there's no way that would be possible</rolleyes>

• Reply 22 of 66
    aknabiaknabi Posts: 211member

Quote:

Totally bogus. Period.

<rolleyes>yeah because you're all knowing and there's no way that would be possible</rolleyes>

• Reply 23 of 66
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Pegatron has reportedly landed orders for Apple's next-generation iPhone, rumored to launch in September, while Foxconn will allegedly manufacture a new 7-inch iPad arriving in August....

This whole report sounds more like Pegatron bragging about getting Apple orders than anything else.  

How they got Apple's order, how they are adjusting to get more Apple orders, etc. It all smacks of wishful thinking and braggadocio to me.  

It also seems too early IMO to be handing out definitive contracts for construction and I'll believe the mini iPad when I see it.  

• Reply 24 of 66
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I'm convinced that Apple will have a 7.85" iPad by this fall.

Me too - confined to their internal testing labs. Not available to purchase.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carthusia View Post

7" iPad in August would make sense for the education/back to school market. Also, Apple can ride the popularity of the iPad brand much farther than the iPod brand. Would most people rather say they have an iPad or an iPod?

No, they would have to make it available long before August. School boards start purchasing next year's equipment long before August.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Why does it have to be something new and amazing?

Because if you consider tasks other than full screen consumption (video, gaming), then it's an awkward size. To big to put pocket-size designed iPhone apps, and too small for larger screen productivity iPad apps. It's going to have to have a reason to convince developers to design for yet another screen size. I have no idea what that reason would be.

• Reply 25 of 66
    jonshfjonshf Posts: 90member

Quote:

Originally Posted by kkerst View Post

Ugh, why?! Please let this die. Unless there's something new and amazing they can do with a 7.85 tablet, this rumor should just fade away.

The "new and amazing" feature being you could put it in a jacket pocket or small purse.

• Reply 26 of 66

Quote:

And zzzzzzzz has already written a fake review about how bad it is.

I keep hearing about zzz's "fake" reviews, but I can't even see where there are any user written reviews on this site.  

Granted the UI at AppleInsider is pretty terrible and the reviews page makes the classic error of not even including the authors name's, but they all appear to be copies of regular AppleInsider (mostly DED's) articles tagged as reviews.

While I'm asking dumb questions ... does anyone ever "subscribe" to a thread?  If so, why?  

I have never understood what that's all about either. 

• Reply 27 of 66
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    DigiTimes have they ever been reliable? No!
  • Reply 28 of 66
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

DigiTimes.

There's not a font big enough for this tripe. Please, AppleInsider, don't post their stuff ever again.

• Reply 29 of 66

Quote:

Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

I'm holding out for the 17" iPad rumor.

IMO, a 15 inch 16:9 tablet with a keyboard/touchpad dock  would be great.

• Reply 30 of 66

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Quote:

And zzzzzzzz has already written a fake review about how bad it is.

I keep hearing about zzz's "fake" reviews, but I can't even see where there are any user written reviews on this site.  

They were deleted.  And they were not fake.

• Reply 31 of 66
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member

If Samsung can make a 5.3" phone/whatever then Apple can do them one better with a 7" phone... whatever...

• Reply 32 of 66

I think the iPad 7 Inch maybe true, as some have mention here, iPod touch maybe too small for someone and iPad a little too big.

Anyway, before 2010, not many people will think for for-see a Macbook air of 11' inch to be on the market, many thought 13' inch is just the best smallest size a notebook should have and anything smaller than that will not be a successful and it's too small for a laptop.

But as we know tody, the 11; inch air sells quite well, so it will not be surprise that a product whith the size in-between the iPod touch and the iPad will be introduce

• Reply 33 of 66

Quote:

Originally Posted by WardC View Post

Any word on the new MacBook Pros, the MacBook Airs, the Mac Pro, or the iMac?

enough with the iToys...the Macintosh is *still* an important platform!!!

Hear, hear.

I love my iToys, but I have a six-year-old MBP that is beginning to make me nervous.

~~~

Nothing new about either of these rumors.  iPhone in September, likely.  iPad <mini, nano, whatever>, less than 25%.

• Reply 34 of 66

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonshf View Post

The "new and amazing" feature being you could put it in a jacket pocket or small purse.

If they release one of these things I will surely buy one to test it out and that's really the only way of knowing if the form factor works, but I must say that the more I use the iPad, the more I realise how actually quite small the current iPad is.  

Every once in a while I see a picture of some celebrity using or carrying and iPad and there is always that split second where I think it's actually some wild new device because when you look at it objectively, it really looks quite small.  It is small.  I mean it's only 7"x9" which is smaller than the average book, smaller than the standard paper size, smaller than the typical journal or diary, etc.  It's really only when you hold an iPad in your hands and try to work with it that you appreciate the unwieldy-ness of it and how awkward it can be at times, but I think that this is really down to the weight of the iPad, not the size. 

Try this thought experiment. Hold the iPad in your hands and imagine that it's exactly the same size in length and breadth, (perhaps a bit thinner) but most importantly, that it's about one tenth of it's current weight. If you can get your mind around that, you'll see that it's really just like holding a small piece of corrugated cardboard in your hands.  In fact you could hold such an iPad in two fingers easily without your hands getting tired at all.

Sure, physical size is important, but if you could carry the iPad all day in your hands, and if it weighed less than the keys and wallet in your pocket, or was only a fraction of the weight of a purse that you carry around over your shoulder all day, perceptions of it being "too big" would fade away I think.  After all, it's even smaller than an 11" MacBook Air, which is the smallest useable laptop available at the moment.  

The iPad is best viewed as, and compared to, a book.  Right now it's about the size of a comic book, but has the weight of a giant text or course book.  Apple does their best to make it thin, but weight-wise, it's sort of like carrying around a volume of the Encyclopaedia Britannica (for those that even remember that thing).  People carry around books and journals all the time but they tend to avoid carrying large, heavy ones.  As crazy as it might sound, if the iPad was not only the size of a comic book but the weight of a comic book as well, I don't think anyone would be complaining about the physical size at all.  

• Reply 35 of 66

Quote:

Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

They were deleted.  And they were not fake.

I'm not sure what a "fake" review even is. :)  

• Reply 36 of 66
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    gazoobee wrote: »

Granted the UI at AppleInsider is pretty terrible and the reviews page makes the classic error of not even including the authors name's, but they all appear to be copies of regular AppleInsider (mostly DED's) articles tagged as reviews.

While I'm asking dumb questions ... does anyone ever "subscribe" to a thread?  If so, why?  
    I have never understood what that's all about either. 

Look at the bottom of the page. There's a section for recent reviews (it's empty now since zzzz's reviews which have been deleted were the only ones there).

1. A week or so ago, zzzz had a review up for both an iPhone 3GS and an iPhone 4 or 4S.
    2. You can tell from zzzz's endless Apple bashing that he's not likely to be a big purchaser of Apple products.
    3. zzzz's reviews of both products were fairly negative - unlike almost every other review out there.
    4. After I pointed out how unlikely it was that zzzz had not only one but two iPhones in use at the same time, the reviews were deleted. I don't know if they were deleted by the site or by zzzz.
    5. Until today, zzzz never denied my statements that the reviews were fake.

You can draw your own conclusions, but the most likely scenario is that the reviews were fake.
  • Reply 37 of 66
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    gazoobee wrote: »
    I'm not sure what a "fake" review even is. :)  

What's so difficult to understand? A fake review is one where someone who doesn't own a product pretends that they do and writes a review as if they had actually used the product.
  • Reply 38 of 66
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

I'm holding out for the 17" iPad rumor.

Well clearly that is why they are getting rid of the 17" MBP, to make room for their new iPad XL model :)

• Reply 39 of 66
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

I don't even know how to get to the reviews section of the site now that there aren't any there. image

There's no nice button to click to go to a "Reviews" page, if there is one at all… and clicking recents just pulls up that stupid "activity" list… 

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

Well clearly that is why they are getting rid of the 17" MBP, to make room for their new iPad XL model :)

Now that's one iPad size change I'd be okay with. I'd love a larger one.

• Reply 40 of 66
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Now that's one iPad size change I'd be okay with. I'd love a larger one.

That would be a bit ot there in my opinion, unless you were planning to wall mount it as a media device and/or home control appliance.  It gave me an opportunity to poke at the claim of the MBP 17" being discontinued too tho, so it was a win-win kinda post for me.