Apple's next iPhone coming in September, 7" iPad launching in August - report

Comments

• Reply 41 of 66
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

That would be a bit ot there in my opinion, unless you were planning to wall mount it as a media device and/or home control appliance.

On the contrary, I'd carry that sucker around everywhere, just like I do my iPad now.

A 9.8" screen is even a touch large for wall panel house control, particularly since there'd be one in every room. 5-7" would be good for that, but not as an embedded tablet. That's obscenely wasteful.

Just have a Mac Mini in the basement built into the system to power these individual displays across rooms and manage their settings.

• Reply 42 of 66
    mariomario Posts: 348member

I find the current iPad 3 screen just right to read ebooks/PDFs without zooming (esp. for PDFs with multi-column layout and embedded images). Any smaller than that and you would have to hold it horizontally to read, which is not ideal.

• Reply 43 of 66
    ryantsairyantsai Posts: 6member

Believe you want to believe, but My girlfriend works in a company whose client is AUO (AU Optronics Corp), one of the rumored display panel supplier for the smaller iPad. Yes indeed AUO have received orders from Apple for a product line currently named "iPad Mini", and they are finalizing the specs just recently. So yea August launch sounds feasible.

• Reply 44 of 66
    ryantsai wrote: »
    Believe you want to believe, but My girlfriend works in a company whose client is AUO (AU Optronics Corp), one of the rumored display panel supplier for the smaller iPad. Yes indeed AUO have received orders from Apple for a product line currently named "iPad Mini", and they are finalizing the specs just recently. So yea August launch sounds feasible.

Did your girlfriend sign an NDA when whe was hited?
  • Reply 45 of 66

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryantsai View Post

Believe you want to believe, but My girlfriend…

My uncle's daughter's brother's best friend's army buddy said they're making an iPhone nano. No apps, no data, 2.5" screen.

We'll believe the truth, thanks. image

• Reply 46 of 66
    luxom3luxom3 Posts: 96member

FWIW - 7.85" iPad would sell REALLY well.  The 10" form factor is still kinda big when traveling.

Plus in keeping with price to size, Apple VERY nicely can fit into the $299-$399 segment with this model.

Because A LOT of people have a hard time paying $500 for an entry level iPad - but may bite on a fully loaded 7.85" version (WiFi/4G/LTE) at $399.

In fact, with a smaller screen (less power) an LTE model would be great for mobile businesses that could use a notepad sized tablet.

Hmmm...

• Reply 47 of 66

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuxoM3 View Post

FWIW - 7.85" iPad would sell REALLY well.

And you're basing this on how well other 7" tablets have sold?

Quote:

Because A LOT of people have a hard time paying $500 for an entry level iPad

… "A lot" in this case being "fewer than 30%", right?

• Reply 48 of 66
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member

I'd like a 7' sized iPad to be released this fall.  I should start a rumor.

• Reply 49 of 66
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    gustav wrote: »
    Because if you consider tasks other than full screen consumption (video, gaming), then it's an awkward size. To big to put pocket-size designed iPhone apps, and too small for larger screen productivity iPad apps. It's going to have to have a reason to convince developers to design for yet another screen size. I have no idea what that reason would be.

As I explained earlier, they wouldn't necessarily require developers to design apps for another screen size. They could simply use the same aspect ratio and resolution of the original iPad. Images would be smaller, but sharper, than the original iPad, but apps would work fine.

As for the rest, it really amazes me how some people confuse "I don't like xxx" with "No one could possibly like xxx". In reality, there are lots of reasons for a smaller size:

- Children
    - Reading books (keep in mind that a 7" iPad would be roughly the size of a book that people might be reading)
    - Games (easier to manipulate than a full sized iPad)
    - Cost (a huge percentage of the non-iPad market involves 7" tablets, with price apparently being the driving factor)
    - Pocketability. A 7" tablet would fit in my jacket pocket. A 10" one would not

Would it replace the 10"? Not a chance in the world. But is it a viable alternative? It just might be. A lot of people play games on their iPhone or iPod Touch, so scaling up to 7" might improve usability.
  • Reply 50 of 66
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

Originally Posted by WardC View Post

Any word on the new MacBook Pros, the MacBook Airs, the Mac Pro, or the iMac?

enough with the iToys...the Macintosh is *still* an important platform!!!

So tell me, are you actually being sincere with that question? Are you actually, truly asking if there's 'word' on Macs, as if Apple made some secret announcement and Appleinsider, nor any other site on the internet bothered to report on it? Don't you think if there was 'word', it would be reported on this site as a story? The whole point of that fake question was a setup to troll, so you can throw in the 'iToy' childish bullshit, then making some self-righteous exclamation, as if Apple isn't aware that the Mac is an important platform, and as if they're not preparing to refresh the whole mac lineup, probably very soon with new chips and possibly a new OS simultaneously.  This kind of shit should be bannable, I don't see why the mere mention of 'iToy' doesn't deserve an instant ban. It tell you all you need tio know about the poster, their motivations, and their intention with the post, and makes blatant the intent on trolling and not on any real, rational discussion. 

• Reply 51 of 66
    coojocoojo Posts: 7member

hope its real then i will replace my kindle fire

• Reply 52 of 66
    carmissimocarmissimo Posts: 837member

I really think Apple will make a larger Touch and will ensure that it remains comfortably a pocketable device. There is no rational value in a device that is not as convenient to take with you on the go as a Touch yet isn't as enjoyable to use as an iPad. If there is a portability gain then that mitigates loss of screen real estate. The close the device is to the iPad the less the portability gain. At a certain point you wind up with a useless device that is neither pocketable or all that enjoyable to use. Something with a screen in the 7-inch range definitely would fall into that unfortunate range.

So a bigger Touch is what we're going to get and probably not in August. As for Apple releasing a new iPad in calendar 2012, seriously, you embarrass yourself by making such a prediction. Most of us know full well that the next iPad version will come out early next spring. It's not worth wondering about that. It's the pattern Apple has established with no reason to break that pattern.

• Reply 53 of 66
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member

August and September is when I will have fully matured into a consumer whore.

• Reply 54 of 66
    jnjnjnjnjnjn Posts: 588member
    postulant wrote: »
    I'm holding out for the 17" iPad rumor.

A4 size would be ideal.

J.
  • Reply 55 of 66
    carthusiacarthusia Posts: 583member

An education-driven mini iPad needn't be solely for school boards' bulk purchasing; it could be aimed directly toward students and parents of students. Consumer adoption could further drive institutional adoption the same way consumer adoption of iPhone can drive enterprise adoption.

• Reply 56 of 66
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member

The one thing I'm hoping that Digitimes IS wrong about is the 7.85" specific size. It has to be no  larger than 7" to be pocketable. My 7" Android tablet fits snugly into my back jeans pocket, but if it were even 1/16" larger  it would not.

• Reply 57 of 66
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Will it come with a liquid metal nail file?

/
  • Reply 58 of 66
    lerxtlerxt Posts: 186member
    I keep on telling you guys, the first iphone shipment out of China is in August. Trust me.
  • Reply 59 of 66

I was waiting for this iPad 7inch. It seems amazing very slim and portable device. I was looking forward for this device very long time and finally I found so I will purchase this one in very short time after its launching date. This iPad looks amazing so I am influence to buy this one.

• Reply 60 of 66
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Is there a big market for the 'I'd like an iPad that I can carry in my jacket pocket' crowd? Maybe for kids. But for adults I'd say isn't that what your phone is for?