Apple's latest Lion update continues preparations for Retina display Macs

Comments

• Reply 41 of 71
    brianusbrianus Posts: 160member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That happened twice. Once for the Intel transition and once for the case redesign. Not "always".

Uh, those are the only two major overhauls the MBP has ever had. So yes, "always." I know you want them to keep the 17" and think they should care more about keeping it in pace with the rest of the line than they do about introducing retina displays, but that's wishful thinking, dude. Everything -- past history, months worth of rumors now, its marketshare vis a vis the other MacBooks -- is pointing to it, at best, taking a back seat to the smaller retina MBPs, if it is retained at all.

• Reply 42 of 71
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by brianus View Post

Everything -- past history, months worth of rumors now, its marketshare vis a vis the other MacBooks -- is pointing to it, at best, taking a back seat to the smaller retina MBPs, if it is retained at all.

Think what you will. Not 'everything' points to that. And how is a single rumor "months worth of rumors"?

• Reply 43 of 71
    brianusbrianus Posts: 160member

I'm not just talking about the rumor they'd drop it. I'm also talking about the fact that the 17" is almost never mentioned in any of the several rumors regarding the retina MBPs that we've seen since December. There was also a rumor a few months back that the 17" would indeed follow the 15" by a few months. Also, you had made the point that we are a long way away from 17" retina panels (I assume you have some source for that), arguing, wrongly, that that meant they wouldn't update any of the line until they could do the 17". Quite the contrary -- they will omit the 17" because it just doesn't matter as much, as their singular focus on smaller devices and HiDPI over the past six months makes clear. Is there any evidence of any kind arguing against that interpretation?

• Reply 44 of 71
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

Many people are familiar with Moore's Law but few are familiar with the counterpoint, Wirth's Law.

I asked about Aunt Minnie because an "Aunt Minnie" is a medical imaging (aka Radiology) term for a finding (disease or condition) so obvious the late, great Ray Charles could see the finding.  The term is analogous to a physician telling you that your arm is broken when your ulna is sticking 6 inches out to the side.  "Aunt Minnie" is also a popular website for Radiology professionals.  The association is that there is someone with a nom de plume "paxman" on the aforementioned website.  "PACS" (sometimes misspelled "PAX") is a term associated with Radiology as "Picture Archiving and Communications System" (aka "PACS") is, typically, a client-server application for management, storage and remote viewing of medical images (CT, MR, Ultrasound, X-rays (radiographs)) etc.

Well OK, clearly I am not that Paxman :)  

• Reply 45 of 71
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I wonder where the disproportionate file-size increase comes from? Are they using different/less compression in addition to increased resolution?

Continued HiDPI work on Lion would seem to indicate the Mountain Lion isn't shipping next month as one recent report suggested. If Apple were to release new Retina Macs soon and Mountain Lion were coming next month, you'd think they'd just launch them on 10.8. Further HiDPI work in Lion suggests Mountain Lion is still a ways off and Retina Macs will have to ship with Lion.
    I think that's a spot on assessment.
  • Reply 46 of 71
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ltcommander.data View Post

I wonder where the disproportionate file-size increase comes from? Are they using different/less compression in addition to increased resolution?

I'm going to have to show myself an old man by pointing out how ridiculous this seems.  1Mb for an icon!  I would have been able to fit 20 of them on my first hard drive!

Isn't technology great!

Quote:

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Thanks for info - I have observed the Wirth / Reiser truth repeatedly for years. The MBA was the first major step forward. The SSD's make these machine wickedly fast at anything that involves the HD - e.g. opening apps. 

I'm actually hugely underwhelmed by the SSD in my new MBA.  I can't say the apps seem to open appreciably faster, and it's startup time from sleep is crap - absolutely no better than my previous hard drive based MBP.

I'm actually starting to wonder if there is something wrong with it, and will be going to the Genius Bar when I can.

• Reply 47 of 71
    sunspot42sunspot42 Posts: 93member

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyLavoie View Post

The 27" iMac has a resolution of 2560 x 1440, a retina 27" iMac would be 5120 x 2880. With some things like coverflow you will need bigger than 512x512 (or 256x256 on non retina macs), that's why right now the standard maximum resolution for icons on OSX is 512x512

The 27" iMac's resolution is based on doubling 720P HD resolution though, isn't it?

I wonder if the "retina" iMac will double 1080P HD resolution, and run at 3840 x 2160.  That's well within the capabilities of most high-end graphics cards, and in theory it should be easier for them to get display panels manufactured in a double-HD resolution.

• Reply 48 of 71
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member

Very nice.

Retina, HiDPI, 4K... Whatever the term it'll be great.

I'm struggling every day working with 2K and 4K animation on normal resolution monitors.

It'd save me a lot of time with a HiDPI display and OS.

Did a little search, and it appears a lot of HiDPI displays are coming (or at least being announced) this year. So it's definitely within reach.

• Reply 49 of 71
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Apple said late summer or fall and considering previous announcements they usually keep with those schedules. I doubt there will be a hardware releases keyed to Mountain Lion.

If there are indeed retina Macs coming this year, still a debatable question, then they will be Lion machines. Note that Apple could release minor Ivy Bridge bump machines this month and release a more significant update in the late fall much like they did in 2008.

Continued HiDPI work on Lion would seem to indicate the Mountain Lion isn't shipping next month as one recent report suggested. If Apple were to release new Retina Macs soon and Mountain Lion were coming next month, you'd think they'd just launch them on 10.8. Further HiDPI work in Lion suggests Mountain Lion is still a ways off and Retina Macs will have to ship with Lion.
  • Reply 50 of 71
    Please leave and don't come back. Applle is not one of Intels slaves, they release when they feel the time is right. Further if Ivy Bridge was all that important they would have released already. It should be pretty obvious that they have bigger plans in place than Ivy Bridge.
    kkqd1337 wrote: »
    getting a bit tired waiting for news on the new Ivy Bridge mac books. actually quite tempted by the Samsung 9 series +/- ivy bridge
  • Reply 51 of 71
    At least one company has already announced high resolution LCD screens! It is only a question of production quanities for Apples machines. I'm actually surprised that you missed the news, come to think of it Appleinsider never reported on this development either. Of the top of my head I can't remember which company this was, but it isn't likely to be one of Apples suppliers.
    I don't know anyone that would've thought that except extreme optimists. We'll see a near-final dev preview at WWDC, but then they need time to get that up and running. I don't figure any sooner than LATE July.
    In these matters you usually can take Apples word for its face value. If they say late summer/fall for Mountain Lion that is pretty much what you can expect.

But that really can't happen, can it? Panels like that don't even exist! It'll be years before an appropriate 17" display exists, much less 27".

Go ahead: enjoy the past!

Yeah that is a right smart move. You ever notice that these idiots, posting such crap usually have far less than 20 posts to their name?
  • Reply 52 of 71

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

You ever notice that these idiots, posting such crap usually have far less than 20 posts to their name?

Best to nip it in the bud, isn't it?

• Reply 53 of 71
    It would be extremely doubtful as Intel won't release until mid June. That is none of the processors released so far are suitable for the AIR. That is if Apple even stays with Intel processors here, Ivy Bridge is still fairly pathetic as a GPU as such it is less than ideal for an AIR.

In any event it is possible that you will get a release before your trip but I wouldn't count on it.
    herbapou wrote: »
    Do we have any chance of seing a Macbook Air refresh before the end of june?  I am going to disney world for 2 weeks and would like to bring a MBA with us.
  • Reply 54 of 71
    You need it for the higher quality display.

By the way there is more to the perception of quality than seeing the pixels. I'm plus 50 and went from an iPad 1 to an iPad 3 and frankly can't see the pixels on either. However I can say this, the iPad 3 is a much nice display that is far easier on the eyes.
    Can someone tell me why I need "retina" resolution in a display I'm viewing from 30" away?  At this distance I certainly can't resolve individual pixels at a .25mm dot pitch, and I wouldn't be that happy burning the additional GPU cycles to push 4x pixels around.
    I have to disagree with you. The reality is you don't want to see the pixels. There is more to the perception of quality than simply resolving the pixels making up the display.
  • Reply 55 of 71
    Best to nip it in the bud, isn't it?

A Samsung employee maybe?

Mind you I have nothing against alternative hardware or operating systems. I have a Linux box in the house and a couple of VMs on my Mac. Being open minded and prepared to use the best tool for the job is just smart. Stupid is coming on this forum and posting the crap this character did, it just isn't the place for it. It makes about as much sense as posting a question about Linux or ones favorite blender.

More so anybody with a grain a grey matter between their ears should be able to grasp that new Apple hardware is real near. You don't go into the kitchen to rush the cook if you know what is good for you. Like wise it isn't a good thing to rush Apple when it comes to new hardware.
  • Reply 56 of 71
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Wow, this is interesting. Some icons are being refreshed apparently. New automator icon:

automator_icon_comparison.jpg

Personally love the changes. Less reflective, sleeker, simpler. Only Apple would put this much effort redesigning an icon for something most mac users will probably never, ever use. 

• Reply 57 of 71

Quote:

A Samsung employee maybe?

Well, we've had plenty of Adobe employees on here in the past, sockpuppeting their crap every time a thread about Flash starts… 

But they were always slightly more discreet about it than this. Thought that could be just the difference between Samsung and Adobe employees.

Heaven knows Samsung isn't known for being discreet about lying, stealing, and copying…image

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Wow, this is interesting. Some icons are being refreshed apparently. New automator icon:

automator_icon_comparison.jpg

Personally love the changes. Less reflective, sleeker, simpler. Only Apple would put this much effort redesigning an icon for something most mac users will probably never, ever use. 

Ah, good, they pushed that out, then! It showed up in ML DP 3 first, I believe, and I certainly like it better than the original. Our computers are glossy enough; drop it from the interface and give us delicious textured matte designs… 

• Reply 58 of 71
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member

Search the internet for "HiDPI display" and you'll find a bunch that has been announced in 2012. Panasonic has one 20" for instance. Maybe they're the one you're thinking about?

Quote:

At least one company has already announced high resolution LCD screens! It is only a question of production quanities for Apples machines. I'm actually surprised that you missed the news, come to think of it Appleinsider never reported on this development either. Of the top of my head I can't remember which company this was, but it isn't likely to be one of Apples suppliers.

• Reply 59 of 71

Nice. Give me a 13" MBP without an optical drive, an SSD for fast booting, a HDD for storage, and a retina display and I'm all set for a hardware update.

• Reply 60 of 71
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    Many people are familiar with Moore's Law but few are familiar with the counterpoint, Wirth's Law.

I asked about Aunt Minnie because an "Aunt Minnie" is a medical imaging (aka Radiology) term for a finding (disease or condition) so obvious the late, great Ray Charles could see the finding.  The term is analogous to a physician telling you that your arm is broken when your ulna is sticking 6 inches out to the side.  "Aunt Minnie" is also a popular website for Radiology professionals.  The association is that there is someone with a nom de plume "paxman" on the aforementioned website.  "PACS" (sometimes misspelled "PAX") is a term associated with Radiology as "Picture Archiving and Communications System" (aka "PACS") is, typically, a client-server application for management, storage and remote viewing of medical images (CT, MR, Ultrasound, X-rays (radiographs)) etc.
    <strong> Winning!</strong>