Apple to gain ownership of iphone5.com domain

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
The World Intellectual Property Organization has sided with Apple in a dispute over the iphone5.com domain name, and ownership is expected to be transferred to Apple.

The WIPO website recently updated its status on the case as "Terminated," and the domain owner is expected to be required to relinquish ownership of iphone5.com to Apple according to The Next Web. The site is currently owned by Corporation Service Company, a protection agency that owns the domain name in the interim.

Currently, attempts to visit the iphone5.com website are non-responsive. Previously, the website featured a small, relatively inactive forum.

The WIPO's decision to side with Apple came quickly, as Apple applied for ownership of the domain only a few weeks ago. Apple's pursuit of the iphone5.com domain was seen by some as evidence that Apple could name its next-generation iPhone the "iPhone 5," a name that is commonly used in public to refer to the rumored device.

WIPO


However, Apple's interest in the domain could also simply be an effort to avoid confusion among consumers who might think the domain is owned or affiliated with the company. Late last year, Apple also turned to WIPO to take control of iphone4s.com, and also take down a handful of other iPhone-related domains that featured hardcore pornography.

Last July, WIPO also granted Apple ownership of the domain name ipods.com. In that case, it was found that the original owner of the domain had "no rights or legitimate interests in respect of the domain name," and that it was "being used in bad faith by the respondent."
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 36
    e_veritase_veritas Posts: 248member


    Crap, I may have to reconsider what I was going to do with my registered domain, iphone6.com....

  • Reply 2 of 36
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,178member


    It was using an Apple trademark so of course they were going to shut it down. That it was being used in a way that could make folks think it was about the next iPhone since a lot of folks think that the 6th gen iPhone will be still be called iPhone 5 just add to why they would want it down asap. Even if in fact they are going to call it iPhone (6th Gen) or iPhone (2012)

  • Reply 3 of 36
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member


    Just in time for the iPhone 5  release this fall......


    I know it is the 6th generation of the iPhone but I still think it will be called the iPhone 5

  • Reply 4 of 36
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Has Apple bought domain names in the past that they don't intend to use as product names?
  • Reply 5 of 36
    techguy911techguy911 Posts: 267member
    Que Tallest Skil head explosion over the thought of the next phone being called iPhone 5.
  • Reply 6 of 36
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    techguy911 wrote: »
    Que Tallest Skil head explosion over the thought of the next phone being called iPhone 5.

    Regardless of what they call it his logic is sound. If they call it iPhone 5 — which I don't think they will — their reasoning would be inline with the simple answers adults give to children when they ask simple questions that technically have very complex answers.
  • Reply 7 of 36
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Has Apple bought domain names in the past that they don't intend to use as product names?

    Yes - quite regularly. mammals.org comes to mind. Or iKids.com. Or iSchool.com. Applepico.com. Or some which contain a trademark but clearly Apple doesn't intend to use (iphoneporn4s.com, iphonesex4s.com, iphonexxxforce.com, iphone4s.com and porn4iphones.com.). Stevejobs.xxx. You can find lots more by searching.

    Now, it's entirely possible that Apple will be releasing a sexbot in Steve Jobs' image so they wanted to protect the domain name, but I doubt it.
  • Reply 8 of 36
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,349member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

    I know it is the 6th generation of the iPhone but I still think it will be called the iPhone 5


     


    Enjoy ignoring all common sense, then.


     


    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

    Has Apple bought domain names in the past that they don't intend to use as product names?


     


    Well, mammals.org has redirected to Apple.com for many years now. I guess the iBex is about to come out. image


     


    Quote:

    Originally Posted by techguy911 View Post

    Cue… …iPhone 6.


     


    Fixed. :wink:

  • Reply 9 of 36
    ericthehalfbeeericthehalfbee Posts: 3,564member
    Now who was it that said "first come, first served" in the last thread? :)
  • Reply 10 of 36
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


     


    Enjoy all common sense, then.


     


     


    Well, mammals.org has redirected to Apple.com for many years now. I guess the iBex is about to come out. image


     


     


    Fixed. :wink:



    There fixed that for you....

  • Reply 11 of 36
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,177member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


     


    Enjoy ignoring all common sense, then.


     



    You are gonna look pretty foolish if they refer to it as iPhone 5

  • Reply 12 of 36
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,349member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

    There fixed that for you....


     


    Yes, it certainly makes sense to call Apple's 6th model of iPhone, the one running iOS 6, the "iPhone 5".


     


    You're still wrong, as it doesn't look as though they'll be using numbers at all. Thankfully.


     


    Quote:


    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

    You are gonna look pretty foolish if they refer to it as iPhone 5


     


    No, I'll just find a different company to buy a phone from and watch Apple capitulate from the inside. That name would be reflective of all the wrong changes.

  • Reply 13 of 36
    not1lostnot1lost Posts: 136member


    After you get it name it "The Titanic" so every time it syncs it will say "The Titanic is syncing" LOL! :-D 

  • Reply 14 of 36
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,349member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by not1lost View Post

    After you get it name it "The Titanic" so every time it syncs it will say "The Titanic is syncing" LOL! :-D 


     


    I'll have to leave that to someone who actually bought one, then. image

  • Reply 15 of 36
    not1lostnot1lost Posts: 136member


    Or name it "Microsoft Stock" so every time it syncs it will say "Microsoft stock is syncing"... ROFL !!! 


     


    OH~! Better yet name it "Andriod phones are" so every time it syncs it will say "Android phones are syncing"  hahahahahaaaa


     


    In other news....

  • Reply 16 of 36
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


     


    Yes, it certainly makes sense to call Apple's 6th model of iPhone, the one running iOS 6, the "iPhone 5".


     


    You're still wrong, as it doesn't look as though they'll be using numbers at all. Thankfully.


     


    No, I'll just find a different company to buy a phone from and watch Apple capitulate from the inside. That name would be reflective of all the wrong changes.



    so Apple followed your logic with all of the iPhone names? So what is the 5th generation iphone called?

  • Reply 17 of 36
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,349member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

    so Apple followed your logic with all of the iPhone names? So what is the 5th generation iphone called?


     


    My logic? It's their logic. And yes, they established patterns early on to which they've kept.


     


    1st gen: iPhone. Highlights generation. Self-explanatory.


    2nd gen: iPhone 3G. Highlights telephony.


    3rd gen: iPhone 3GS. Highlights speed.


    4th gen: iPhone 4. Highlights generation.


    5th gen: iPhone 4S. Highlights speed.


     


    So we see they've used three naming conventions and have established a pattern with them. "iPhone 5" falls under none of these naming conventions.


     


    iPhone 5: [ ] Generation, [ ] Telephony, [ ] iOS version, [ ] chip name


    iPhone 6: [?] Generation, [ ] Telephony, [?] iOS version, [?*] chip name


    iPhone 4G: [ ] Generation, [?] Telephony, [ ] iOS version, [ ] chip name


     


    So that's 2.5ish points for iPhone six, one point for iPhone 4G, and zero points for iPhone 5. I bring up the third one only because it did remain valid. While G is lower than S, it fits their old pattern and could have been valid. There's also the "milking the '4' name" to consider.


     


    Never thought I'd have to type that again… 


     


    But again, all of this is moot. As of the 3rd iPad launch, we're virtually guaranteed to be dropping the numbers from iPhone names entirely.

  • Reply 18 of 36
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


     


    My logic? It's their logic. And yes, they established patterns early on to which they've kept.


     


    1st gen: iPhone. Highlights generation. Self-explanatory.


    2nd gen: iPhone 3G. Highlights telephony.


    3rd gen: iPhone 3GS. Highlights speed.


    4th gen: iPhone 4. Highlights generation.


    5th gen: iPhone 4S. Highlights speed.


     


    So we see they've used three naming conventions and have established a pattern with them. "iPhone 5" falls under none of these naming conventions.


     


    iPhone 5: [ ] Generation, [ ] Telephony, [ ] iOS version, [ ] chip name


    iPhone 6: [?] Generation, [ ] Telephony, [?] iOS version, [?*] chip name


    iPhone 4G: [ ] Generation, [?] Telephony, [ ] iOS version, [ ] chip name


     


    So that's 2.5ish points for iPhone six, one point for iPhone 4G, and zero points for iPhone 5. I bring up the third one only because it did remain valid. While G is lower than S, it fits their old pattern and could have been valid. There's also the "milking the '4' name" to consider.


     


    Never thought I'd have to type that again… 


     


    But again, all of this is moot. As of the 3rd iPad launch, we're virtually guaranteed to be dropping the numbers from iPhone names entirely.



    Very nice TS and very well thought out I might say! I still think you are wrong.....they will either call it the iphone 5 or drop the numbering scheme and go with maybe the iPhone HD

  • Reply 19 of 36
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,349member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

    Very nice TS and very well thought out I might say! I still think you are wrong.....they will either call it the iphone 5 or drop the numbering scheme and go with maybe the iPhone HD


     


    Thank you!


     


    Dropping numbers altogether is my first belief, but I would only imagine "iPhone HD" as a name if the screen ratio went to 16:9. But that presents a whole new set of problems and changes for a phone to have that sort of screen… Stupid October not being now.

  • Reply 20 of 36
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,022member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


     


    Yes, it certainly makes sense to call Apple's 6th model of iPhone, the one running iOS 6, the "iPhone 5".


     


    You're still wrong, as it doesn't look as though they'll be using numbers at all. Thankfully.


     


    No, I'll just find a different company to buy a phone from and watch Apple capitulate from the inside. That name would be reflective of all the wrong changes.



     


    Good. It's a near guarantee the next iPhone will be at least 4", be called the iPhone 5, or both, so I'm glad you'll go somewhere else. Even if that's the case I have a feeling you'll continue to torture us with your rants on the topic, going on with lengthy tirades about how Apple is 'capitulating' form the inside, because you don't seem like the type to eat some humble pie and aknowledge you're wrong about.. everything related to Apple. An apology to all those you self-righteously mocked and derided for suggesting that it may be called just that and accusing of having no common sense would also be in order, but again, not something I'd expect from you. Your ridiculous analysis of the 'patterns' of naming schemes and charts are completely irrelevant to what Apple might decide to name the phone, as their primary consideration will be intuitiveness to the average consumer, not those who analyze this crap on messageboards, and regardless of all your charts and justifications, that remains 'iPhone 5'. In any case, we'll see.


     


    The question is, why would you continue to be the moderator for a forum of a fansite dedicated to a company you believe is fundamentally on the wrong course and imploding?  Will you leave if one or both of these things come to pass, or continue to post tiresome spiels about how you're being forced to use your 1st generation iPhone, your LG, or whatever the hell it is? Nevermind, we all know the answer to that. 

Sign In or Register to comment.