Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak hired as 'tutor' for Sony's Steve Jobs film

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak has been brought on as a "tutor" to coach Sony Pictures on its adaptation of the biography of the late Steve Jobs.

Just days after announcing that he would write the screenplay for the film, Aaron Sorkin spoke to the press about his approach to the project, according to Reuters (via The Next Web). He said Wozniak would consult on technology, as well as provide insight on Jobs.

Wozniak served as the technical mind to Jobs' keen business sense in the early days of Apple. "We were very much alike in that time frame," Wozniak said in a recent interview.

"Steve [Jobs] was an incredible leader and a manager, he went through an awful lot of things in life that got him to that point," he added.

Sorkin also revealed that the film will not be just a biopic. "I know so little about what I am going to write. I know what I am not going to write. It can't be a straight ahead biography because it's very difficult to shake the cradle-to-grave structure of a biography, " he said.

Wozniak
Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak | Source: ABC News

The writer pointed "The Social Network," for which he won an Academy Award, as an example of the kind of story he wants to portray. The film centered around the lawsuit between Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg and his early partners.

"Drama is tension versus obstacle. Someone wants something, something is standing in their way of getting it. They want the money, they want the girl, they want to get to Philadelphia - doesn't matter ... And I need to find that event and I will. I just don't know what it is," he said.

Sony Pictures was said to have worked out a deal for the movie rights to Walter Isaacson's "Steve Jobs" biography within days of the executive's passing. At the time, Sorkin was reportedly Sony's top choice for a scriptwriter.

Separately, an independent production company is looking to make its own film about Jobs. Actor Ashton Kutcher has been cast as the lead role in that project, which will cover from the year 1971 to 2000. Broadway star Josh Gad will reportedly play Wozniak in the indie film.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Sorkin also revealed that the film will not be just a biopic. "I know so little about what I am going to write. I know what I am not going to write.

So, full of lies and sensationalized because that's what Hollywood "demands".

Great.

• Reply 2 of 22
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

TS is a virus. How can I block it? AI, please reel in this loose cannon.

• Reply 3 of 22
    sol77sol77 Posts: 203member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Great.

I've got mixed feelings.  I enjoyed The Social Network as a movie, but it ultimately left me feeling disappointed because I knew it wasn't incredibly accurate.

• Reply 4 of 22
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    sol77 wrote: »

I've got mixed feelings.  I enjoyed The Social Network as a movie, but it ultimately left me feeling disappointed because I knew it wasn't incredibly accurate.

My feelings weren't mixed. Unless you categorize it as a documentary film then I expect the result to be a drama. If you need to combine, remove or alter scenes in order to maintain the pace, focus and/or duration of the film then you do so. While the studio's overall goal is to turn a healthy profit the way you do that is to make the result as feasibly entertaining as possible. Nothing else matters!
  • Reply 5 of 22
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

The Woz an Jobs two different people.  If you listen to an interview of Jobs and then one of the Woz you will definitely tell that Jobs was a shark ready to devour any idiot and Woz was more into explaining to the idiot where he was wrong.

• Reply 6 of 22
    russellrussell Posts: 296member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Great.

So are Apple press releases and interviews. That's what their fanbois demand.

• Reply 7 of 22
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Whoah, whoah, whoah!!!

Is anybody else seeing any similarities here?

Woz.jpg

Neo.jpg

Woz and Neo.

Both flying to save us from the machines...

• Reply 8 of 22
    bestkeptsecretbestkeptsecret Posts: 4,265member

I loved The Social Network, but I think equal, if not more, credit should go to David Fincher's directing. Fincher has always been a great director, so I  know he maybe more responsble for the overall impact of The Social Network. Having said that, I did enjoy Moneyball as well, which Sorkin penned.

It really boils down to who directs it. I was under the impression that Sorkin is only writing, but it now looks like he is directing as well. If that is true, I do not know what to expect. One of my main considerations when deciding on a movie to watch is the director.

About Woz being involved as a "Godfather" for the movie, I wonder if this is something like Christopher Nolan being the "guide" for Man Of Steel. Anyway, Jragosta must be having a conniption!

• Reply 9 of 22
    bugsnwbugsnw Posts: 717member

I think Woz might need to upgrade his CPU. From everything I've read, the two couldn't have been more different. Steve Jobs helped mold the future. Woz was voted off Dancing with the Stars.

• Reply 10 of 22
    vanfrunikenvanfruniken Posts: 262member

I hope they made him sign some kind of NDA, or at least some kind of agreement to restrain him from making random statements about SJ in the media (which turn out to only feed the FUD around AAPL's stock value). At least till the movie is released.

• Reply 11 of 22
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

The difference between Woz and Jobs is the difference between a smart guy and a genius imo. When you hear Woz talk he gives intelligent answers, but also conventional - what all the smart set say. But Jobs keeps saying things that surprise you, but as soon as you hear it you know it's true.

• Reply 12 of 22
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

I have absolutely no plans to see this movie. 

• Reply 13 of 22
    uguysrnutsuguysrnuts Posts: 459member

Mixed about this too. I will probably fall asleep on a remake of "Pirates". Not sure if sensationalism is the answer either.

I think what was somewhat disappointing with the Social Network was that it was Sorkin's rags to riches story, but there was hardly FB the social network in it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sol77 View Post

• Reply 14 of 22

Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

The difference between Woz and Jobs is the difference between a smart guy and a genius imo. When you hear Woz talk he gives intelligent answers, but also conventional - what all the smart set say. But Jobs keeps saying things that surprise you, but as soon as you hear it you know it's true.

no. they were/are genius but in different ways. woz and the apple II and the people that built the original Mac were brilliant. Jobs couldn't have figured out how to do any of it. He was brilliant at coming up with ideas that fused the technical for use with 'normal' people. thats why they were perfect for each other early on. woz doesn't BS much. i like to hear him explain things. 

• Reply 15 of 22

Quote:

Originally Posted by bugsnw View Post

I think Woz might need to upgrade his CPU. From everything I've read, the two couldn't have been more different. Steve Jobs helped mold the future. Woz was voted off Dancing with the Stars.

Yes very different people. Woz built the Apple II. Jobs sold it and the company was built. Jobs didn't like that he wasn't the sole 'genius' of Apple so he needed to distance himself from the apple II and woz. so when he got pushed off into a project called 'macintosh' he took it and made up for the lisa failure.

i imagine that i am not the only one glad that jobs isn't involved with apple anymore. they can now let the real geniuses take some credit and push the boundaries.

• Reply 16 of 22
    uguysrnutsuguysrnuts Posts: 459member

I just don't know. Apple ditched Jobs remember? All the geniuses in the company had no one to focus them and Apple almost ceased to exist.

Jobs created Apple University to imprint his DNA.*

Every company needs someone to kick their ***es into gear motivate them from time to time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

Yes very different people. Woz built the Apple II. Jobs sold it and the company was built. Jobs didn't like that he wasn't the sole 'genius' of Apple so he needed to distance himself from the apple II and woz. so when he got pushed off into a project called 'macintosh' he took it and made up for the lisa failure.

i imagine that i am not the only one glad that jobs isn't involved with apple anymore. they can now let the real geniuses take some credit and push the boundaries.

• Reply 17 of 22

Prediction: this movie will be worse than the made for TV Pirates of Silicon Valley... 

• Reply 18 of 22
    rtm135rtm135 Posts: 310member

Aaron Sorkin? WOZ??  This is SO full of WIN, I don't even know where to start. 

I'm actually excited.  :)

• Reply 19 of 22
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffreytgilbert View Post

Prediction: this movie will be worse than the made for TV Pirates of Silicon Valley... 

That's a given. A real prediction would give a metric for how MUCH worse it will be. image

• Reply 20 of 22
    bwikbwik Posts: 565member

Could Keith Richards co-star in this movie?  It would also be good to get Brooklyn Dekker into the film as Jobs' assistant.  He could ride around on this awesome motorcycle and kill people.