124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 65
    e_veritase_veritas Posts: 248member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Care to expound?

Gladly!

Prior to Relic posting a patent design from Nokia, you were more than willing to state that it was 'obvious' Nokia had copied from the 6th gen iPod Nano. Your criteria for determining this was simply that Apple had the design first, Nokia's design looked similar, so therefore, anyone following had to be copying.

However, after Relic made his post with the design drawing that was prior to the 6th gen iPod Nano, and the reverse was suggested, your criteria for determining 'copying' changed dramatically. In order to determine copying now, we will have to "look into where the frame design originated". You even suggest that the Apple's new form factor was clearly derived from the previous generation, even though you readily dismissed the same substantiated claim from Relic about Nokia.

When the scenario is reversed, why are you not following the same "Why didn't they keep that design" logic you had previously. Why has the bar suddenly been raised for your determination of 'copying'?

• Reply 62 of 65
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Since the front design existed before the modern iPod nano, that rules out influence from Apple and rules in influence to Apple. The frame design on the iPod nano could easily be taken from the Nokia design now, while the case itself is obviously from the old iPod shuffle.

Quote:

Originally Posted by e_veritas View Post

When the scenario is reversed, why are you not following the same "Why didn't they keep that design" logic you had previously. Why has the bar suddenly been raised for your determination of 'copying'?

In terms of Apple keeping their old designs? I think that's still up in the air. It was pretty controversial to not only drop the click wheel, but shrink it down to just the screen. They didn't originally intend it used as a watch, so I'm not sure what they were thinking when they first did it.

• Reply 63 of 65
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    jeffdm wrote: »
    While I agree Apple is a disruptive presence, I don't see why it's Apple's fault that HTC and Nokia are moving away from physical keyboards. In the absence of compelling evidence, I would say HTC and Nokia made their choices on their own. In the end, maybe you should blame the market. I don't think Apple did anything to coerce other makers to drop that feature.

I was not trying to place blame on Apple but the manufactures who have dropped all of their previous venues to try and compete with Apple with similiar deisgned phones. No one can be Apple but Apple, I'm really tired of all this luney behavoiur.

HTC, Nokia, Samung, Panasonic, Sharp ect. these company's know how to make good phones, they've been doing it a lot longer then Apple. So there is no excuse for them to fight fire with fire but with someother exotic element. Where is the extreme, the new, the weird. I do have to give a little credit to Samsung and HTC though, they are starting to get it, Samsung with their Note, talk about a gamble who would have thought a huge 5.3" phone would have been so succefull. HTC with their new ONE series, well deigned, well priced and good hardware but these are only a few of the hundreds of models these two company produce. Guys, you need no more then three models, that's it, low, middle, high end.

I would like to see more bold businees choice's from these guys in the future, I would like nothing more then for Samsung to drop Android and go full steam ahead with their Bada/Tizen OS. First we are in dire need of a new mobile OS, it's disgusting that there are only two OS's on the market now that have all of the marketshare. It's disgusting that Apple owns so much of the marketplace, no company, it doesn't matter how special they are should have somuch control and that much power. It's time for these company's to go all Area 51 on the matter, take your best designers and mechanical egineers, lock them in some room in some desert somewhere for the next year till they come up with something brillant.
  • Reply 64 of 65

Quote:

Originally Posted by bullhead View Post

Untitled.png

where is the Nano's click wheel?  It does not have one.  Why are you bringing it up?

The lumia is plastic, not metal, with a concave glass front (as in, its not flat like the nano). Its bigger, taller, has its buttons in a different places, its OS UI is entirely different in every regard, Nano has a clip on the back, the lumia has a silver strip with a camera Lens, lumia has fixed position soft buttons where the nano is completely driven from the touch screen, Lumia is predominantly one of two colours (cyan or pink) and black or all black and nano is one of several colours with black and silver.

There is nothing in common between the nano and the lumia other than both of them being based on geometric shapes and the concept of round corners for the display panel.

• Reply 65 of 65
    richsadamsrichsadams Posts: 129member

And Samsung's market leading design team comes up with yet another completely unique form factor...

120601_samsung_ripoff.jpg

Samsung Is Now Shamelessly Ripping Off The Design Of The Mac Mini

Let the "Nuh-uh" and "Oh yeah, well..." trolling begin!  :)