Samsung says lawyers didn't design new Galaxy S III smartphone

Comments

• Reply 21 of 65
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"Our change in smartphone design is part of a five-year plan, not a sudden turn-around," Samsung design Vice President Chang Dong-hoon told reporters at the 2012 Seoul Digital Forum, according to The Verge.

inspired by Apple nature

• Reply 22 of 65
    teongoteongo Posts: 11member

Quote:

It shows that you don't really know how to invent and your innovations involve taking pre-existing technology and packaging it in a smaller, prettier package together. La-de-freaking-da! Cowards!

You know, I think we need more people like him here. That was the best laugh I've had in years.

No sir, you are wrong this time. He is just an absolute idiot. That is not a laughing matter!

• Reply 23 of 65
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    pjerky wrote: »
    This whole litigation of Samsung by Apple for such simple and widely used design aspects just goes to show how truly corrupt Apple is with power. It also shows that they are really afraid of the strong competition that Android products are bringing to the marketplace.

1. Before the iPhone everyone was making blackberry knockoffs. After the iPhone, it's all iPhone knockoffs

2. Samsung is suing Apple over FRAND patents that Samsung is legally required to license to everyone under the same terms, but refused to do do with Apple.

So if you are going to say Apple is corrupt and scared, you have to say the same about Samsung. Because their stunts are way worse than Apple.
  • Reply 24 of 65
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

Aside from virtually every survey showing Apple is being used and Android isn't. Sure, they've punched out more cookie-cutter devices than Apple. But as that's the only thing you can ever say, no one cares..

Time for a rousing chorus of 'we've shipped more, we've shipped more. Who cares that that 50% of the 1/10th that go out come back in the door.'

Oh nd it's not Allowed to innovate, it's required to. As in, Apple is required to innovate while the rest can just be 'inspired' by what someone else (typically Apple) does.
  • Reply 25 of 65
    teongoteongo Posts: 11member

"Our change in smartphone design is part of a five-year plan, not a sudden turn-around," 

This sound very much like the Communist North Korea is running Samsung. "five-year plan". It is time we really have to think hard when buying Samsung products.

• Reply 26 of 65
    bullheadbullhead Posts: 493member

Untitled.png

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Where is the Lumia's click wheel? 

where is the Nano's click wheel?  It does not have one.  Why are you bringing it up?

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Where is the Nano's touchscreen display taking up the entire front? 

Umm....the Nano's touchscreen display _does_ take up the entire front.  

Other note: Look at the rounded screen on the Nano.  Yep, copied exactly on the lumina.

• Reply 27 of 65
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

If you guys can't tell the difference between what Samsung was doing and what Nokia does I can't help you.  

If you can't see the difference between the Nano (of whatever generation) and the Lumia I do know a good Opthamologist.

• Reply 28 of 65
    richsrichs Posts: 13member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Saying they look exactly alike is axiomatically wrong. There are certainly similarities but there are similarities in most products of the same category.

Where is the Lumia's click wheel? Where is the Nano's touchscreen display taking up the entire front? Where are the tapered top and bottom on the Nano?

They are both beveled but do not use the same curve unlike Samsung's design. Samsung even went so far to copy very minute aestheic details which are not the same as saying that because both are designed around one's hand and the properties of the electronics they are stealing each other's IP.

This close enough for you? [Photoshop: stretched a Nano 6th gen, dropped in an iPhone app screen, and placed it next to a Lumia. I didn't bother to approximate the curved surface of the 5th gen Nano that they appropriated ... you can use your imagination for that.]

nano_lumia.jpg

• Reply 29 of 65
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

Yesterday, we got FletchG and forJAT, both first-time posters that came out with outlandish claims, which were subsequently shot down by the "pros". Today we get Pjerky...

All-too-convenient, "slapppy" style posters. I suddenly start thinking about my old Aunt Sally...

Methinks somebody needs to do some IP checking to ensure we aren't being overrun by sock puppets again.

• Reply 30 of 65
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

Methinks somebody needs to do some IP checking to ensure we aren't being overrun by sock puppets again.

Yep... check out also my kat wuvs me. I'd be very surprised if they'd go much above 1-2 posts.

• Reply 31 of 65
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Nonsense. They don't look even remotely alike other than the color.

That they both have touchscreens covering the majority of the surface will result in some similarities.  The design details strike me as different between the two devices.  Sure both have a black touch screen with rounded edges on a colorful shell but there elements where I think to myself "this isn't the way Apple would have made this". 

It isn't bad, just different.  Ahtisaari is no Ives but his team did a good job, IMHO. 

Quote:

I suspect that it was a stock color. When you request an anodized aluminum in medium blue, there probably aren't many choices.

Actually the Lumia is polycarbonate.

Quote:

Comparing the Lumia phone to an iPod nano is just plain silly.

We agree with each other, twice. ZOMG.

• Reply 32 of 65

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichS View Post

This close enough for you? [Photoshop: stretched a Nano 6th gen, dropped in an iPhone app screen, and placed it next to a Lumia. I didn't bother to approximate the curved surface of the 5th gen Nano that they appropriated ... you can use your imagination for that.]

nano_lumia.jpg

thanks RichS, although i am sure the blind people on this forum will _still_ say the cloner Nokia phone looks nothing like the nano.

• Reply 33 of 65
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bullhead View Post

thanks RichS, although i am sure the blind people on this forum will _still_ say the cloner Nokia phone looks nothing like the nano.

Because it doesn't, why are you reaching for something that isn't there. Not everyone copy's Apple and certainaly not Nokia. Yes, I am fangirl of Nokia, have been for 20 years. The Nokia Lumia line is a very nice series. I still prefer the N9, as Meegos is still my favorite mobile OS of all time but Windows mobile and the Lumia design is original. Not to mention water resistant and can handle a 10 foot drop onto concrete. It's well designed and well built, made to last. I still own every Nokia phone I have ever bought, all of them still work. All 12 of them.

• Reply 34 of 65
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Because it doesn't, why are you reaching for something that isn't there. 

Case in point.

• Reply 35 of 65

Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Because it doesn't, why are you reaching for something that isn't there. Not everyone copy's Apple and certainaly not Nokia. Yes, I am fangirl of Nokia, have been for 20 years. 

ah. the only person who would not see the blatant copying is a Nokia fan drone.

• Reply 36 of 65
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    bullhead wrote: »
    ah. the only person who would not see the blatant copying is a Nokia fan drone.

So I'm a Nokia fan drone?

Sorry, but you're wrong. I don't see that the Lumia is a copy of either iPod.
  • Reply 37 of 65
    mechanicmechanic Posts: 805member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pjerky View Post

This whole litigation of Samsung by Apple for such simple and widely used design aspects just goes to show how truly corrupt Apple is with power. It also shows that they are really afraid of the strong competition that Android products are bringing to the marketplace. Android has already surpassed iOS as the most widely used mobile OS in the world.

This kind of competition is good and healthy. Instead of lashing out with lies, litigation, and vitriol Apple should instead be focusing on really innovating and inventing new technologies and products. That is how healthy competition works. Not bitching because someone else used a rectangular shape with rounded uniform corners. What are they going to complain about next? The use of wifi chips? Producing phones that have a touchscreen?

Seriously Apple your really grasping at straws with this one. It shows that you don't really know how to invent and your innovations involve taking pre-existing technology and packaging it in a smaller, prettier package together. La-de-freaking-da! Cowards!

Wow you are a comedian right?  Been drinking too much of the android flavor aide?  You really need to get out more often and actually read facts before you post f. u. d.

• Reply 38 of 65
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member

Of course lawyers didn't design it. It says right there in the picture, "Inspired By Nature".

• Reply 39 of 65
    mercury99mercury99 Posts: 251member

Quote:

Originally Posted by wshuff4 View Post

Designed for Humans . . . with Really Big Hands.

Then, for whom the iPad is designed?

• Reply 40 of 65
    mercury99mercury99 Posts: 251member

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichS View Post

I think I've seen that 'Lumia 900' design before...

nano5g.jpg

And I've seen this design before. Samsung photo frame, February 2006:

samsungpictureframe.jpg