Apple designer Jonathan Ive says current projects are his 'most important' work

Comments

• Reply 21 of 105

Quote:

Jonathan Ive says current projects are his 'most important' work

This may be in fact true, but on face value...what else is he going to say, his best days are behind him?!? 

• Reply 22 of 105
    allblueallblue Posts: 393member

I was reading the Windows - ARM thread earlier, and looking at that committee designed mish-mash a word came to mind to differentiate the Apple approach, and that word was 'clarity'. Then reading this article and Sir Jony says exactly that "Our products are tools and we don't want design to get in the way. We're trying to bring simplicity and clarity, we're trying to order the products." This focussed simplicity at the fundamental design level translates into the 'just works' experience for the user, design that is so good you do not even notice it. Microsoft have never been shy at nicking ideas from Apple, perhaps they should take this quote: "On a number of occasions we've actually all been honest with ourselves and said 'you know, this isn't good enough, we need to stop'" and circulate it at Redmond asap.

• Reply 23 of 105

Quote:

Originally Posted by Conrail View Post

Isn't this what rock bands who have been around for decades always say right before they release an album of self-indulgent, obtuse twaddle?

Perhaps. But I don't think Jonathan Ives is in a rock band. 

• Reply 24 of 105
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I would think these projects are his most important as the designs will be totally attributed to him and his team. I feel Jony and team have lived in Steve Jobs' shadow with much of the kudos for design going to Steve. With Steve, unfortunately, gone it gives the individuals who have done wonderful work over the years a chance to show that Apple was more than a one man show.
    This is by no means a criticism of Steve Jobs or Apple. Steve was just so charismatic he carried the show. Everyone else's turn now.
    This reminded me of when the iMac G4 came out and Time magazine did a cover story about it. In the story they talk about Steve summoning Jony to his garden and drawing out what he wanted it to look like saying it should look like the sunflowers in his garden. But in Walter Isaacson's book Steve's wife says it was Jony who suggested the screen be separated from the base like a sunflower and started sketching it out. I wonder how many ideas have been attributed to Steve that perhaps didn't originate with him. The public mostly only hears about the times Steve killed something or forced a do-over because he didn't like something. Of course what Jony's team has done would probably never have happened at a company other than Apple, because of Steve. But I'm sure it's not easy when a lot of the work you do gets attributed as being the brainchild of someone else.
  • Reply 25 of 105
    jouster wrote: »
    I have no opinion on how much - if any - Apple's designs owe to Braun, but from various interviews I've seen or heard over the years, I think it's safe to say that Ive is an admirer of some of that work.
    I certainly would hope so, since the Braun stuff is gorgeous.
    Yes Ive has been quite clear on how much Dieter Rams has influenced him. But it's the ihaters who usually trot out this nonsense about him copying Rams work. There's a difference between being influenced by someone and ripping someone off (something Rams has never accused Apple of).
  • Reply 26 of 105
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tune View Post

applebraun.jpg

iphoneadirectcopyoflgpr.png

"We have always been SHAMELESS about stealing great ideas." - Steve Jobs

It's funny too many people are brainwashed to believe this. I would guess the people who posted these pictures are not designers.

On another note, Reading List gains offline reading in ML. yeah!

• Reply 27 of 105
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    freerange wrote: »
    Ive is an incredibly humble and generous human being who truly cares first and foremost about the user experience, and delighting them every time they use one of his team's creations. This is what makes Apple great and what makes so many other companies mediocre at best. And it is truly offensive when the likes of Google, Samsung, HTC and the others resort to stealing to fool consumers into thinking they have the same abilities and care as much for the consumer experience and astetic.

Agreed.

I hope the Samsungs of the world read it and weep.
  • Reply 28 of 105
    bwikbwik Posts: 565member

It would be good to see something new, Jonathan.  It's been years.

• Reply 29 of 105
    ilm1997ilm1997 Posts: 8member
    Since Jonathan Ivy's design sense is so acute, he would be a perfect fit for the entire design of Apples products. From hardware design to UI design, what is wrapped up in him he would make very successful UI's well into the future that would me so married to the hardware, so intricately related would be a thing of total art.

So how about it Apple ? Why not expand Jonathans role to include beautiful software UI design too ?

I really think this is where Apple can continue to excel. Then things like the icons on the Apple TV in its UI could be made more beautiful again.

Just my 2c.
  • Reply 30 of 105
    Here's video of the ceremony. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-18171666
  • Reply 31 of 105
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member

Quote:

Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

Ive is an incredibly humble and generous human being who truly cares first and foremost about the user experience, and delighting them every time they use one of his team's creations. This is what makes Apple great and what makes so many other companies mediocre at best. And it is truly offensive when the likes of Google, Samsung, HTC and the others resort to stealing to fool consumers into thinking they have the same abilities and care as much for the consumer experience and astetic.

I'm pretty sure the guys at Google etc listened to you and said "hey, let's make crappy user experience"...

You know, some amount of balance could help you being listened to.

Most companies try to delight their consumers with truly amazing products. They don't necessarily agree on how to do that, but read Appleinsider and you'll see that even apple fans don't agree on what's best for the next product, so why should companies? Besides, I appreciate choice I can vote on with my wallet...

• Reply 32 of 105
    dave2012dave2012 Posts: 58member

Design is evolutionary, it isn't spontaneously created. All designers are working with previous ideas. And that's how it should be - it would be incredibly unproductive if the best designs were ignored by subsequent designers.  And Apple influenced by Rams? Actually it was Rams who was influenced by Apel - Otto Apel.

• Reply 33 of 105
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member

Quote:

Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

Most companies try to delight their consumers with truly amazing products. They don't necessarily agree on how to do that, but read Appleinsider and you'll see that even apple fans don't agree on what's best for the next product, so why should companies? Besides, I appreciate choice I can vote on with my wallet...

No, most companies does not try to do that. That's why Apple is unique.

• Reply 34 of 105
    jcdinkinsjcdinkins Posts: 114member

If this guy ever leaves, I'm cashing in my Apple stock...for a hefty profit I might add.

• Reply 35 of 105
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    zozman wrote: »
    Hahaha most of those are a serious stretch, radios that look like g5 towers, speakers look like iMacs....hahaha umm yeah

It's a form of apophenia but this has a much higher rate of delusion and psychosis attributed to it since it's clear that the objects are not the same, don't have the same use or components, and have to photographed in such a way as to offer some of the same angles, shapes and shadowing to make the illusion even remotely similar.
  • Reply 36 of 105
    applezillaapplezilla Posts: 941member

Jony is building a robotic body to house Jobs' preserved brain.

Steve will return!

• Reply 37 of 105
    zozmanzozman Posts: 393member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

It's a form of apophenia but this has a much higher rate of delusion and psychosis attributed to it since it's clear that the objects are not the same, don't have the same use or components, and have to photographed in such a way as to offer some of the same angles, shapes and shadowing to make the illusion even remotely similar.

thats a great way of putting it, i agree with you, i couldn't articulate it as well as you did, but basically, people have da vinci coded some pics :p

• Reply 38 of 105
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Fix View Post

I would hope that's what he'd say everyday.  

That's the thing, he has actually said this before. 

Also, nothing personal to Sir Ive, he is a great designer but ... he is also a veritable king of platitudes and literally oozes insincerity at every orifice.  

If one takes the time, one can find his ever-so-earnest, superlative, yet completely empty remarks being repeated for every product he's ever created.  

At least the ones they did video's for. 

• Reply 39 of 105

Quote:

Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

You know it's not fair to post about him on this forum when you are his wife in real life. 

• Reply 40 of 105

Quote:

Originally Posted by poke View Post

Is this supposed to prove that Ive hasn't copied anything by putting his work next to objects that are nothing like them? If so, well done.

I think there are some obvious references actually, but people who post pictures like this might trust as well walk around with shirts that say "I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT ART OR DESIGN" on the front.  No real artist or designer would ever see this as "copying."  

Especially with minimalist, modern designs, the design language is very limited.