Apple says DoJ lawsuit 'fundamentally flawed,' could harm consumers

1234568»

Comments

• Reply 141 of 156
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

Look patience has a certain limit to it, you ve been rebuted here several times by quite a few people, and even those sympathetic to apple have told you that you haven't made any valid case in favour of apple at all. Give it a rest, and drop the discussion, you might regain some respect from other posters here eventually if you do.

I'll give it a rest when it is shown that the  "average price" of eBooks has risen as that is what the DoJ should be focussing on, I have given examples where the price has remained exactly the same, saying those examples don't count is not a rebuttal which shows anything.

Apple has nothing to do with eBook pricing as they do not set the price, publishers do.

The DoJ has NO case against Apple.

• Reply 142 of 156
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

I'll give it a rest when it is shown that the  "average price" of eBooks has risen as that is what the DoJ should be focussing on, I have given examples where the price has remained exactly the same, saying those examples don't count is not a rebuttal which shows anything.

Have you read the link from this post? It contains plenty of data, here's just one graph from there:

Quote:

Apple has nothing to do with eBook pricing as they do not set the price, publishers do.

The DoJ has NO case against Apple.

I predict that you will have to eat your words when Apple settles or loses the trial.

• Reply 143 of 156

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

Have you read the link from this post? It contains plenty of data, here's just one graph from there:

I predict that you will have to eat your words when Apple settles or loses the trial.

I predict the exact opposite, the DoJ will withdraw their witch hunt of a case before the real instigators of these trumped up charges come to light.

So are you advocating Government set pricing across all markets or should they just legislate the price of best selling eBook, which as I have shown are still available at the $9.99 price point.

Isn't that discriminatory behaviour, shouldn't the Government set prices for everything, with the DoJ making their decisions?

Once again America is proving they have the best justice money can buy, just ask any lobbyist.
  • Reply 144 of 156

Quote:

So are you advocating Government set pricing across all markets or should they just legislate the price of best selling eBook...

Why should I do either? Your strawman arguments are beyond ridiculous.

• Reply 145 of 156
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Without further comment, Apple's response to the DoJ, filed 5 days ago.

http://ia701206.us.archive.org/6/items/gov.uscourts.nysd.394628/gov.uscourts.nysd.394628.54.0.pdf

• Reply 146 of 156
    synergisynergi Posts: 32member

Quote:

I predict the exact opposite, the DoJ will withdraw their witch hunt of a case before the real instigators of these trumped up charges come to light.

So are you advocating Government set pricing across all markets or should they just legislate the price of best selling eBook, which as I have shown are still available at the $9.99 price point.

Isn't that discriminatory behaviour, shouldn't the Government set prices for everything, with the DoJ making their decisions?

Once again America is proving they have the best justice money can buy, just ask any lobbyist.

Look I love Apple like most on this board. I own and iPad, iPhone, MacBook Air and a MacBook white. But I'm also an ebook buyer and I am paying a lot more for ebooks then I use to. If you don't buy a lot of books then you won't notice. Steve Job's Bio, for instance was around 17 dollars.. if the wholesale model was still in place it would have been 9.99. A book I bought right before the agency model kicked in was 9.99 and jumped to 16.99 when the hardcover was 14.99. 

I don't buy nearly as many books now as I did before because of the higher prices. Its lead me to find indie titles which I am happy I've been finding good ones. I like Apple but this model they helped get going didn't do me any favors. It only helped Apple get into a position where it could compete with Amazon in ebooks. There is no competition as all the pricing is now the same..

These prices are ridiculous and just because you found 1 9.99 price doesn't mean much. Not to mention the 9.09 that no one else can see.

• Reply 147 of 156
    drdoppio wrote: »
    Why should I do either? Your strawman arguments are beyond ridiculous.

So how else do you propose that the $9.99 price limit on best selling eBooks be set, apart from legislation forcing those price limits.

Apple has done nothing wrong, at all except encourage free market behaviour.
  • Reply 148 of 156
    synergi wrote: »
    Look I love Apple like most on this board. I own and iPad, iPhone, MacBook Air and a MacBook white. But I'm also an ebook buyer and I am paying a lot more for ebooks then I use to. If you don't buy a lot of books then you won't notice. Steve Job's Bio, for instance was around 17 dollars.. if the wholesale model was still in place it would have been 9.99. A book I bought right before the agency model kicked in was 9.99 and jumped to 16.99 when the hardcover was 14.99. 

I don't buy nearly as many books now as I did before because of the higher prices. Its lead me to find indie titles which I am happy I've been finding good ones. I like Apple but this model they helped get going didn't do me any favors. It only helped Apple get into a position where it could compete with Amazon in ebooks. There is no competition as all the pricing is now the same..

These prices are ridiculous and just because you found 1 9.99 price doesn't mean much. Not to mention the 9.09 that no one else can see.

I found three $9.99 eBooks out of the top 5 NYT best sellers, 60% of eBooks have not risen in price.

The links are there, I copied and pasted the $9.09 price with a link, perhaps you need to disable all cookies and use an Australian proxy.

I have seen no evidence of Amazon's shady marketing message blaming prices on the agency model either.

There is nothing tying you to iBooks you can use Apps to buy from wherever you want, you can even borrow books from the library for free, it's called choice and consumers have it.
  • Reply 149 of 156

Quote:

So how else do you propose that the $9.99 price limit on best selling eBooks be set, apart from legislation forcing those price limits.

Apple has done nothing wrong, at all except encourage free market behaviour.

I have never proposed that a price limit on eBooks should be set.

Repeating a lie a thousand times won't make it true.

• Reply 150 of 156

Quote:

I have never proposed that a price limit on eBooks should be set.

Repeating a lie a thousand times won't make it true.

So there is no issue with the pricing of eBooks, then.

The DoJ has no case.

btw a screenshot from my iPhone of this link I posted before:-

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/kindle/other-editions/ref=kina_tdp?ie=UTF8&a=B007J4T2G8

IMG_5224.PNG

• Reply 151 of 156

Quote:

So there is no issue with the pricing of eBooks, then.

The DoJ has no case.

Whatever... you have stopped making sense several posts ago.

• Reply 152 of 156

Quote:

Whatever... you have stopped making sense several posts ago.

The DoJ stopped making sense the moment they directed this sham of a case toward Apple.

You'd think they'd have more important things to waste taxpayer money on than appeasing a few whining, Internet trolls.

• Reply 153 of 156

Quote:

The links are there, I copied and pasted the $9.09 price with a link, perhaps you need to disable all cookies and use an Australian proxy.

I have seen no evidence of Amazon's shady marketing message blaming prices on the agency model either.

There is nothing tying you to iBooks you can use Apps to buy from wherever you want, you can even borrow books from the library for free, it's called choice and consumers have it.

Steve Jobs [Kindle Edition]

Walter Isaacson (Author)

Print List Price:

$35.00

Kindle Price:

$14.99 includes free wireless delivery via Amazon Whispernet

You Save:

$20.01 (57%)

Sold by:

Simon and Schuster Digital Sales Inc

This price was set by the publisher

There it is right there. Amazon letting you know that the publisher is setting that ridiculous price.  It was higher then that, it started out at 16 or 17.99.

That aside, Why do I want to see Australian pricing? Am I wrong or is Australia not yet mixed up in the Agency pricing as a whole but they are considering it?

How many Ebooks have you bought since Agency pricing kicked in? I'm trying to see what makes you qualified to tell people that do buy them that there has been no change in pricing.

Here's another.. Note the ebook price versus the other books.. Since you like to use Random House..

Sin and Syntax: How to Craft Wickedly Effective Prose [Kindle Edition]

Constance Hale (Author)

Print List Price:

$14.95

Kindle Price:

$13.99 includes free wireless delivery via Amazon Whispernet

You Save:

$0.96 (6%)

Sold by:

Random House Digital, Inc.

Formats

Amazon Price

New from

Used from

Kindle Edition

--

$13.99

--

Hardcover

--

$9.99

$4.97

Paperback

$9.44

$7.22

$5.01

• Reply 154 of 156

Quote:

Originally Posted by Synergi View Post

Steve Jobs [Kindle Edition]

Walter Isaacson (Author)

Print List Price:

$35.00

Kindle Price:

$14.99 includes free wireless delivery via Amazon Whispernet

You Save:

$20.01 (57%)

Sold by:

Simon and Schuster Digital Sales Inc

There it is right there. Amazon letting you know that the publisher is setting that ridiculous price.  It was higher then that, it started out at 16 or 17.99.

That aside, Why do I want to see Australian pricing? Am I wrong or is Australia not yet mixed up in the Agency pricing as a whole but they are considering it?

How many Ebooks have you bought since Agency pricing kicked in? I'm trying to see what makes you qualified to tell people that do buy them that there has been no change in pricing.

Hey, it's Amazon pricing, they mess around with redirecting their links who knows where the pricing is based all I know is I block their plug ins and cookies.

I've provided screenshots because people claim they see different pricing in the links I provide.

I've also stated numerous times that the GENERAL price of eBooks has not been SHOWN to have risen aside from a few cherry picked examples.

America must be in really bad shape if five bucks is such a big deal for a bunch of whining cheapskates, perhaps you could sit on the street with a bowl and a piece of cardboard, "Need money for eBooks" written on it, or head down to your local library and read it for free.

Cry all you want but APPLE had nothing whatsoever to do with how Amazon does business with publishers, Amazon are the one's who agreed to the publishers terms when they renewed their contracts.

That is a normal business practice.

Amazon did not have to sign.

You do not have to buy.

Apple did nothing wrong.

Steve Jobs: The Exclusive Biography [Kindle Edition]

Walter Isaacson (Author)

Print List Price:

$35.00

Kindle Price:

$23.50 includes applicable taxes & free international wireless delivery via Amazon Whispernet

You Save:

$11.50 (33%)

Sold by:

Hachette Book Group

• Reply 155 of 156
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

At least we're now past any disagreement on whether publishers were setting some minimum prices that Amazon and other resellers could not go below. That's progress.

• Reply 156 of 156

Quote:

Hey, it's Amazon pricing, they mess around with redirecting their links who knows where the pricing is based all I know is I block their plug ins and cookies.

I've also stated numerous times that the GENERAL price of eBooks has not been SHOWN to have risen aside from a few cherry picked examples.

America must be in really bad shape if five bucks is such a big deal for a bunch of whining cheapskates, perhaps you could sit on the street with a bowl and a piece of cardboard, "Need money for eBooks" written on it, or head down to your local library and read it for free.

Cry all you want but APPLE had nothing whatsoever to do with how Amazon does business with publishers, Amazon are the one's who agreed to the publishers terms when they renewed their contracts.

That is a normal business practice.

Amazon did not have to sign.

Apple did nothing wrong.

You do not have to buy.

You said there was no proof that Amazon showed the prices were set by publishers. I showed you that wasn't true. No comment on that?

You say Amazon agreed to the publishers terms. Ok and if they hadn't agreed to them? Do you think they would have had access to those books? Amazon also has customers to answer to whom they sold Kindles to. I don't see where Amazon had much of a choice but to accept.

America in bad shape over 5 bucks? Really? So if I'm not in bad shape, does this mean I should throw an extra five bucks at a book that I didn't have to pay before? What about when I'm buying 10 or 15 books? That 3 to 7 dollar buck price hike starts to add up.

Oh, and you never did answer how many books have you bought that you can say the prices haven't gone up?

Your right, I don't have to buy. If I want to read however I do and everyone has the same set price. There are no sales, often times the ebook is higher then its paper or hardcover counter part. 

I'm not sure where you get off saying Apple didn't do anything wrong. How do you know? Were you there? I wasn't. I don't think Apple needs you defending them.

That is what they have lawyers for.

I love my Apple products, the one thing I do hate is that since Apple got into this game, Ebook prices have been up. Especially when you buy on average 100 books or so a year.

So you tell me.. how much is a hike of 5 bucks per book on 100 books going to cost me?