Apple shows interest in iOS stylus with optical sensor, haptic feedback

Comments

• Reply 21 of 45
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member

Quote:

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Wait for the 8" iPad / pod. With Siri, a good set of head phones with mic (so you won't look like a dork with a giant phone) + some largish pockets you're good to go. There are some half decent pen options for iDevices, which I know you are aware of. 

What is "Siri", is it the thing on the new iPad?

• Reply 22 of 45
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

5 Million in 5 months as of March seems legit.  So being that it is not a cheap Android phone ($249 with contract) it must have some other form of appeal for those 5 million.  I am looking into it.  I travel allot and currently carry my phone and iPad, would be nice not to have too carry two devices.

It has appeal to people who want to kill two birds with one stone, to think they bought one but got two. They'll soon learn what they got is not the best of both world.

• Reply 23 of 45

The "if you see a stylus" quote is probably one of the most often skewed Steve quotes. In the context of his presentation, he was talking about the primary input method for the brand-new iPhone (2007). He was comparing it to the input methods of past smartphones, with scroll balls, physical keyboards, small screens, etc. So yes, I agree - if you need a stylus to interact with your phone, you've blown it. 

That doesn't mean that Steve (or Apple) was adamantly against any kind of stylus ever being used on any product. I see it like styluses on the Mac - most people don't need them. Some people desperately need them. Might as well do it right! If they could get haptic feedback done right, that would be amazing. Imagine sketching or writing and feeling the resistance of paper rather than just smooth glass.

• Reply 24 of 45
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

The problem with a stylus and the reason it'll have a hard time replacing pen & paper is, the distance from the tip to the actual image.

Interesting. And no one can integrate stylus to the OS very well, I guess.

• Reply 25 of 45
    sleepy3sleepy3 Posts: 244member

So once again, let me save you guys the suspense, the sequence of events will be thus....

1. Apple will introduce this as the ipen. Will deem it revolutionary.

2. The more rabid section of apple fans (who in truth only make up about 5% of the apple product owners) will now deny that they ever said anything negative about the stylus and that if Steve Jobs ever did he was misquoted/ taken out of context/ just a lie, he never said it.

3. Apple will market said stylus as the most revolutionary thing ever, all in the most amazing iproduct yet.

4. There will be an ad that will feature a little kid at some point (most likely a little girl)

5. The history of the world will change and it will read: Apple was the first to have stylus input, and Samsung have copied them with their S-pen.

6. Apple will sue Samsung for having a stylus shaped like a pen cause like rectangles, no other stylus has been shaped that way till the ipen came along, and they have a patent on the shape of a pen.

Its only obvious this will happen, i mean, look at the statements "never made" by rabid apple supporters

"multitasking is stupid on phones"

"4G is overrated, 3G is good enough"

"3.5" is the perfect screen size, any bigger and the phone becomes unusable"

Good stuff.......

EDIT: and i will just like to say....

SO WHAT if Steve Jobs said SIX YEARS AGO that he didn't like the stylus. Any company that bases their business on opinions from six years ago and NEVER considers changing them will die. Technology changes, markets change, applications change. So good for Apple. At least this proves they are not a stubborn company and are willing to adapt, even if it means going back on a decision they took eons ago as far as technology is concerned. That would have been a bad sign as far as i see it.

• Reply 26 of 45

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I hope they bring this to iDevices with Wacom's tech as this patent doesn't look impressive to me.

I diasgree. I like the idea of haptic feedback. The whole speaker thing to make it sound like a pen though (reported on cnet), that just sounds childish and toylike, they should ditch that.

• Reply 27 of 45
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Sure it does! It's a 5.3" Frankenphone that's too small to be a tablet and too large to be a phone.

What doesn't look silly is having the option for a sensitive stylus as an alternative means of input for certain functions. Steve Jobs never said one should never use a stylus. It's like saying one should never use an ink pen because we have computer keyboards. There are certainly times when styli are the preferred method.

The problem comes when you try to make them the primary method as we saw with resistive touchscreens preceding the iPhone. You can't seriously tell me you disagree with Jobs on there can you?

I hope they bring this to iDevices with Wacom's tech as this patent doesn't look impressive to me.

I am not sure either way, but the success of the Galaxy Note has taken a lot of people by surprise.  

As a long time user of the tool known as the "Steno Pad & Pencil" I've always thought that there is definitely a niche market for a small tablet that can perform the same functions.  The stylus mentioned here seems like a patent just for the sake of patenting to me, and not really a workable design for a stylus for iOS.  But a real working stylus with it's own digitising layer in the screen and full iOS support is something that will undoubtedly happen some day unless Apple can find a way to make your fingers work like a stylus.  Styluses have been around since neolithic days and people will always want to use them.  

• Reply 28 of 45

Different Kids of styluses? image

• Reply 29 of 45
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Graphic designers are not going to use an iOS device with a stylus except as a last resort to make a quick sketch to convey an idea in an impromptu setting when paper and pen are not readily available.

The best use of a stylus on a mobile device in my opinion is for signatures on point of sale applications, delivery receipts etc.

• Reply 30 of 45
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Sure it does! It's a 5.3" Frankenphone that's too small to be a tablet and too large to be a phone.
    What doesn't look silly is having the option for a sensitive stylus as an alternative means of input for certain functions. Steve Jobs never said one should never use a stylus. It's like saying one should never use an ink pen because we have computer keyboards. There are certainly times when styli are the preferred method.
    The problem comes when you try to make them the primary method as we saw with resistive touchscreens preceding the iPhone. You can't seriously tell me you disagree with Jobs on there can you?

It looked optional in the Galaxy Note ads. There are stylus available for iOS devices should the owner want one.
  • Reply 31 of 45
    mrrmrr Posts: 69member

Graphic designers are ABSOLUTELY going to use a stylus with iOS device!

Have you used the Wacom Cintiq 12WX tablet? Awesome. I love it, but at $999, I rather use my iPad3!

Using your finger on a iPad for graphic arts is like going back to kindergarden and finger painting.

Let us have the option.  You can use your finger, but I am going to use the pen.

Bring it on Apple!

• Reply 32 of 45
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    jeffdm wrote: »
    It looked optional in the Galaxy Note ads. There are stylus available for iOS devices should the owner want one.

It is optional. My issue with the 5.3" is not that it's optional or that ot's not the primary input method. My issue is the size and the stylus being included in the device.

That said Samsung has done well with supplying an SDK and using a Wacom digitizer. Those two things make it functional for those that would possibly want/need this feature. Now that it's possible I want Apple to also include the digitizer.

As for iDevices being able to use capacitance styli, sure, but it's neither as precise as the Note or offering any of the features inherent to using the digitizer substrate.

gazoobee wrote: »
    I am not sure either way, but the success of the Galaxy Note has taken a lot of people by surprise.  

As a long time user of the tool known as the "Steno Pad & Pencil" I've always thought that there is definitely a niche market for a small tablet that can perform the same functions.  The stylus mentioned here seems like a patent just for the sake of patenting to me, and not really a workable design for a stylus for iOS.  But a real working stylus with it's own digitising layer in the screen and full iOS support is something that will undoubtedly happen some day unless Apple can find a way to make your fingers work like a stylus.  Styluses have been around since neolithic days and people will always want to use them.  
    The success of the 5.3" Note certainly surprises me. My surprise is solely based on size. If you count it as a tablet it would probably be the most popular non-forked Android tablet on the market. If you count it as a phone it's probably one of the most popular Android phone in its pice category.

sleepy3 wrote: »
    I diasgree. I like the idea of haptic feedback. The whole speaker thing to make it sound like a pen though (reported on cnet), that just sounds childish and toylike, they should ditch that.

I like haptic feedback, too, but that's something I want independent of stylus use. What I don't like I the optical matrix over Wacom's digitizer.
  • Reply 33 of 45

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

It IS optional on the note.

He was referring to phones before the iphone which used resistive screens.

You can use the note just like any other android phone. The stylus is there for a couple special apps as well as if you just feel like using it. Other than that, you can finger it all day long

• Reply 34 of 45
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepy3 View Post

You can use the note just like any other android phone.

You can't use the Note with one hand. Though I guess that's becoming more true of many other Android phones.

As for a stylus like this, I'd welcome support on the iPad and OS XI. When I'm using the stylus, I want to be able to rest my hands on the screen without anything happening, and I want to then be able to use my hands for everything else (navigation, et. al.).

Drawing would be great with that.

• Reply 35 of 45
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

Kind of a general comment not directly related to the article, but I hope iOS 6 has some major changes and new features. Optical sensor and haptic feedback is a step in the right direction, but iOS really hasn't changed all that much since iOS 2. I am not saying they need to copy Android or Windows, but it does feel a bit stale and dated. I have about 15 screens of apps and folders and it is sometimes very hard to find a particular app or folder especially if you can't remember the name. An OS X finder like view that would allow me to sort by name, date, folder only, or something similar would really help. Anone else hope that iOS 6 will get a major facelift? 

• Reply 36 of 45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You can't use the Note with one hand. Though I guess that's becoming more true of many other Android phones.

As for a stylus like this, I'd welcome support on the iPad and OS XI. When I'm using the stylus, I want to be able to rest my hands on the screen without anything happening, and I want to then be able to use my hands for everything else (navigation, et. al.).

Drawing would be great with that.

Yeah, the note is a niche device, its not meant for everyone. Artsy types love having something like that on the go though. for when you don't have your ipad around you can just whip it out. And other people like it cause they just want the biggest screen possible they can cram into their pocket.

Other android phones though are easy with one hand. You just adjust your grip. Takes about 20 seconds to get used to. Unless you have REALLY small hands. My hands are average, not michael jordan sized huge ones, and i can hold an htc one x and operate with one hand while driving easily.

If your hands are on the smaller side though, like most females i guess, then yeah, its not a one hander.

• Reply 37 of 45
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    gwmac wrote: »
    Kind of a general comment not directly related to the article, but I hope iOS 6 has some major changes and new features. Optical sensor and haptic feedback is a step in the right direction, but iOS really hasn't changed all that much since iOS 2. I am not saying they need to copy Android or Windows, but it does feel a bit stale and dated. I have about 15 screens of apps and folders and it is sometimes very hard to find a particular app or folder especially if you can't remember the name. An OS X finder like view that would allow me to sort by name, date, folder only, or something similar would really help. Anone else hope that iOS 6 will get a major facelift? 

Normally, I use the search screen, but if you don't remember the name, that is a bit tough. One way I solve this issue is to bin similar types of apps in the same folder. It helps cuts down on the number of screen pages too.
  • Reply 38 of 45
    vandilvandil Posts: 187member

Lots of third party company have produced stylus options for iOS devices.  Why join them?  Sounds like another "iPod Hi-Fi" debacle.

• Reply 39 of 45
    lamewinglamewing Posts: 742member

Quote:

Originally Posted by KPOM View Post

It has sold surprisingly well. That said, this might have a bigger impact on the iPad, perhaps for artists and graphic designers. I'm still not convinced any stylus or tablet will ever completely replace pencil and paper for note taking.

That is because you have not given it a chance.

Apple dumped the idea of supporting handwriting recognition years ago. MS did not and has done a fantastic job in Windows 7. I have used the MS handwriting recognition on a Thinkpad X61 tablet to input English and Japanese with great (95%) success...and that was three years ago.

If Apple wants to add stylus input with handwriting recognition then the iPad's usability would really open up for students and artists. Apple could sell the stylus as an accessory as not everybody would use them. I said this years ago and so many naysayers disagreed citing Job's hatred of the stylus....and now lookie lookie what has shown up. Of course, I really don't expect any type of handwriting recognition anytime soon...but one can always hope.

• Reply 40 of 45
    lamewinglamewing Posts: 742member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Banalltv View Post

A proper pressure-sensitive stylus would finally make the iPad worth considering for proper work for me, until then I have to stick to the Wacom. I've used another popular iPad stylus and was very disappointed with the experience and the results.

I used an Aiptek graphics tablet on my OS9 mac happily and for years. It was cheap (about IR£140, pre-Euro, I've heard of another brand even cheaper but cannot vouch for the results) and large (larger than A4 drawing area) with a pressure-sensitive 2xAA or 2xAAA battery-containing stylus. The only drawback was that the batteries had to be changed every so often. That wasn't the biggest drawback, it was the ONLY drawback and a trivial one at that.

It worked just great and gave as fine and sensitive a detail as anything I've got from any Wacom (I've used 3 types) but there were no OSX drivers for it so I had to buy a far more expensive Wacom when I upgraded.

The Aiptek worked really well and I think Aiptek could have sold a lot more of them if they'd bothered to make drivers. I'd maybe still be using it today.

It is too bad Apple didn't put more support behind the Modbook concept. Axiotron pretty much is over with. It's too bad. I have used a Modbook and having those capabilities in an iPad would be fantastic.