Apple shows interest in iOS stylus with optical sensor, haptic feedback

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 45
    lamewinglamewing Posts: 742member

Quote:

Originally Posted by vandil View Post

Lots of third party company have produced stylus options for iOS devices.  Why join them?  Sounds like another "iPod Hi-Fi" debacle.

None of those are a true stylus which can be used for professional work. Apple needs to provide a real stylus and an updated iPad with a touch sensitive Wacom LCD

• Reply 42 of 45
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Exactly. I laugh every time I hear their ad saying that it's the best of both worlds. More like 'worst of both worlds'.

Worlds are colliding, Jerry!

• Reply 43 of 45
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

The problem with a stylus and the reason it'll have a hard time replacing pen & paper is, the distance from the tip to the actual image.

I don't see that as much of a problem, especially now that we're getting optically bonded displays, and the new thin glass stuff discussed earlier. I actually think the biggest problem is the lag.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

5 Million in 5 months as of March seems legit.  So being that it is not a cheap Android phone ($249 with contract) it must have some other form of appeal for those 5 million.  I am looking into it.  I travel allot and currently carry my phone and iPad, would be nice not to have too carry two devices.

It seems to have found a niche market, but I'm more interested in Asus' approach of docking the phone to the tablet. The stylus to that also doubles as a bluetooth headset, so you don't look silly holding a tablet up to your ear (something I think the Note could make use of)

• Reply 44 of 45
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member

using the camera in the pen might solve one of the problems with using the ipad with a stylus to date: the UI APIs are set up with a thick thingy (your finger) in mind.  This solution might better allow for finer work.

I use styli all the time for note taking apps with handwriting recognition (notes plus) and it is good, but I could see it would work better if there was an API for finer work, or, an alternative approach as described..

• Reply 45 of 45
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member

Quote:

Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

It is too bad Apple didn't put more support behind the Modbook concept. Axiotron pretty much is over with. It's too bad. I have used a Modbook and having those capabilities in an iPad would be fantastic.

No kidding. Modbook was the prototype for what a tablet should be. Can you  imagine how great it would be if Apple were to build one from scratch, rather than an after-market rebuild of existing Macbooks?

Quote:

Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

None of those are a true stylus which can be used for professional work. Apple needs to provide a real stylus and an updated iPad with a touch sensitive Wacom LCD

Pressure sensitivity really is the key. The iPad is virtually useless as a artists tool without that.