Tim Cook's visit to Washington opens doors to Congress

Comments

• Reply 21 of 41
    panupanu Posts: 135member

Quote:

Originally Posted by CGJ View Post

Why would Canada want to attack you anytime soon? Canada is waaay ahead of ya :)

I don't see why Canada would want to attack the United States. A large number of Canadians have US ancestors and still remember why they left the US. Why would they want this place? 

We face a greater danger from Liechtenstein.

• Reply 22 of 41
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

Apple could really have some power if they would just manufacture all of their products throughout the USA. They could do as the military manufacturers do and put some type of plant in every state. Then no politician would want to cross Apple for fear of having their manufacturing plant move to another state. It is this tactic that keeps the military manufacturers so strong in congress.

What US government-related disadvantage does Apple face currently?

• Reply 23 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

POTUS is not a lawmaker. Congress introduces bills, which may eventually become laws... Did you forget your "Schoolhouse Rock"?

How is a bill made into law?
  • Reply 24 of 41
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    I can't see any good coming from this.

Why? He's not giving Apple money to campaigns etc.

He went to basically say 'you got a question about Apple, how about you ask me before go out to the press nd bash us for crap we might not be doing'. Such as the location brouhaha, the privacy policy stuff etc.

Given the hits Apple took in the media and stock value, it's a wise move. One Steve might have made at this point also
  • Reply 25 of 41
    bwinskibwinski Posts: 164member
    This is a HUGE mistake... Cook has opened the Apple front doors to all levels of political manipulation you can imagine...... Bad move.
  • Reply 26 of 41
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Law Talkin' Guy View Post

How is a bill made into law?

• Reply 27 of 41
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

I think you may be the first to embed a video in our new system. Congrats!

Hope it's not abused… image

• Reply 28 of 41
    kpomkpom Posts: 660member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

There is a big difference between "what will help them out" and "what's the right thing to do."

At the end of the day, their competitors are all on K Street. They need to be there, too. Doing the right thing is good, but sometimes isn't enough, unfortunately. Apple isn't the largest PC maker by any stretch, nor are they the largest phone manufacturer, eBook seller, or media company. Yet they are under the kind of government scrutiny that would be expected if they held monopolies in all those markets. They need to defend themselves against legal action.

• Reply 29 of 41
    triggstriggs Posts: 28member
    While I don't personally like that Apple is going this direction, it seems like a pretty overt play at trying to push the corporate tax holiday through so that they can bring all of that cash home. Curved glass ain't cheap, and there is a lot of it in that spaceship campus they're building.
  • Reply 30 of 41
    POTUS is not a lawmaker.

He seems to think he is, every time he destroys another piece of the Constitution with an illegal executive order.
  • Reply 31 of 41
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    When Apple CEO Tim Cook visited the nation's capitol he broke Apple's unwritten rule of not mixing with politicians

Isn't there also a rule about wearing a suit and owning a suit? He should have turned up in his cycling spandex, that's the Apple way.
    Cook may be looking to change the level of engagement Apple shares with Congress

While on the face of it, this seems to be a bad move, the bigger Apple has become, the more they need legislation to do what they want just like any other company. This includes legislation about taxes, workers' rights (Western workers), privacy issues, anti-competitive measures, environmental issues and a whole bunch of other things. Lobbying is a corrupt way to win favourable legislation and it's not ok just because everyone else does it but the system has been designed in such a way that it's how it is done.
  • Reply 32 of 41
    bugsnwbugsnw Posts: 717member

Open communication is never a bad thing. I just hope Apple doesn't start giving ever larger sums to politicians. It's just a gut check, but it makes me want to take a shower.

Steve Jobs wasn't perfect, but I always liked that he wore his jeans and sneakers and black shirts at nearly every occasion. I hate seeing Cook in a suit, trying to blend in.

• Reply 33 of 41
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    bugsnw wrote: »
    Open communication is never a bad thing. I just hope Apple doesn't start giving ever larger sums to politicians. It's just a gut check, but it makes me want to take a shower.

Steve Jobs wasn't perfect, but I always liked that he wore his jeans and sneakers and black shirts at nearly every occasion. I hate seeing Cook in a suit, trying to blend in.

Give the man a break, and quit pining. Cook will look foolish if he tried to imitate Jobs. He is who he is.
  • Reply 34 of 41
    applezillaapplezilla Posts: 941member

Boehner's one term Speakership is about to be over. He has no control whatsoever of Congress. He's been the weakest Speaker in modern times.

• Reply 35 of 41
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    This entire thread (present comment excepted) has been an exercise in intellectual wankery.
  • Reply 36 of 41
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

This entire thread (present comment excepted) has been an exercise in intellectual wankery.

That's a discredit to the word 'intellectual'. It has been political wankery. image

• Reply 37 of 41
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I have a recommendation for Apple and their cash... keep it out of the pockets of the politicians.

On a related note, did Steve Jobs ever appear before lawmakers?

Long ago and far away... Jobs appeared before the House, where they have nameplates like "H. Waxman, Rep. California" -- a staunch democrat.

Steve referred to him as Mr. Republican...

True story!

Also, around that time, Woz was supporting Sen. Gary Hart (Dem CO) for president on his campaign against unemployment.  Woz told everybody that Hart was good Jobs.

Also, True story!

• Reply 38 of 41
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,960member
    I can't see any good coming from this.

Agree. Makes me nervous when Tim starts tinkering with the recipe for Steve's "secret sauce."
  • Reply 39 of 41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That's a discredit to the word 'intellectual'. It has been political wankery. image

Yup. You're right.

• Reply 40 of 41

So Jobs would never have associated with political leaders, right?

Riiiight ...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/moslive/article-1386409/Worlds-richest-dinner-party--including-guests-Obama-Mark-Zuckerberg.html