Alleged next-gen iPhone part shows aluminum back, smaller dock connector

Comments

• Reply 21 of 164
    ktappektappe Posts: 824member

I really hope the new dock connector size rumor is wrong. I just bought a bunch of iPod/iPhone cables and also am buying a new car this fall. This last-second notice is not enough time for the manufacturer to change their built-in iPod connectors to the new size. Switching would be (I fear) an expensive retrofit.

• Reply 22 of 164
    j1h15233j1h15233 Posts: 274member

I do not want tapered edges on my phone. It works great for the iPad but it would only make the phone harder to hold. 

• Reply 23 of 164
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ktappe View Post

I really hope the new dock connector size rumor is wrong. I just bought a bunch of iPod/iPhone cables and also am buying a new car this fall. This last-second notice is not enough time for the manufacturer to change their built-in iPod connectors to the new size. Switching would be (I fear) an expensive retrofit.

So you'll buy a $10 adapter and live with it until you buy your next car that includes the new port. How's that expensive?

Why should faster transmission and better design be held back by USB?

• Reply 24 of 164
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Who Knows... but if the overall design does end up looking this (mildly) evolutionary, as in just an elongated version of the current theme, it'll just serve as further evidence that Apple's design team appears to have few truly new ideas on the horizon.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

Does a device have to look dramatically different to improve? It's about the function first and foremost, isn't it?

The necessity to have to had a dramatic redesign of phone models and variations every year is the backbone MO of Nokia, Motorola, Sony et al. It does not or paid too much by Apple. Form and function is the foremost in Apple's mind not how it looks. If it works well, it does not have to be evolutionarily redesign to succeed. Much to the dismay of folks like DaHarder et al. with their strong Android, Nokia beliefs. Sorry for you.. just walk away.
  • Reply 25 of 164
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Ok the first photo 9to5Mac released shows a black Apple logo on the white model. Second set of photos show a lighter gray logo on the white model. Makes me think these are prototype and NOT what the final design will look like.
  • Reply 26 of 164
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I'm saying this is an ugly fake. The only stipulation I'd add is that the initial pics of the iPhone 4 leaked by Gizmodo were of a significantly low quality that the device didn't look like something Apple would produce, yet once quality images showed up the fit and finish was obvious and it was clear it was an Apple product.
  • Reply 27 of 164
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by j1h15233 View Post

I do not want tapered edges on my phone. It works great for the iPad but it would only make the phone harder to hold. 

I don't really like the tapered edges on the iPad either. The dock connector is not as accessible to connect a cable and tends to encourage people to pull on the cord to disconnect it which could lead to the insulation detaching from the plug and possibly cause a short circuit or even a fire.

The flat edges on the phone actually serve a purpose as you can set it on a surface and let it take video or you could watch video as well without holding it.

• Reply 28 of 164
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Function has nothing to do with it.  My first car from over 25 years ago functioned quite well.  Yet todays same car version looks drastically different then the version I had even though its function was superb.

There is a word however, that both the automakers and Apple's iPhone wish to avoid, and that word is...

STALE!

And making a smaller dock connector, moving a headphone jack, etc. doesn't cut it.  You can't see internal improvements and functionality on a phone's software soul of this type when it is turned off as it rests on a table.  You can when the exterior is remodeled and is new and different! Hopefully Steve, as it was said, put a lot of work into this before he passed.  I hope his last collaboration does not come out looking like some rehash version of a model introduced almost three years ago.  

Function always top of every designers brief (if it is set to function in the first place, of course). Period. #Just imagine. Cars and phones are a totally different product category not just the way how people use them but the way they work is remarkably different. You cannot paint with the same brush mobile phones, which need to be as light as possible even with all the electronics cramped in one place etc. with cars, that the size alone does not warrant them to be in the same category.
  • Reply 29 of 164
    jay-tjay-t Posts: 39member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Even if you're going to do an aluminium back, why leave the glass bits at the top and bottom? 

My best guess is due to possible reception issues...

• Reply 30 of 164
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

It's going to be thin and rectangular. The main points in question are screen size, aspect ratio, and build material. Being as rectangular slab is not 'further evidence' of fucking anything, which is garbage sensationalism. You honestly think Apple's design team doesn't have any 'ideas'? If they did, do you want them to just throw all those ideas at the wall and release them, regardless of the thousands of factors they need to consider when implementing these ideas? By your definition every single iteration of a product that wasn't the 1st is evolutionary, but that doesn't mean it's evidence of any lack of creativity. This isn't a boutique product to be sold to a boutique audience. It will be the best selling and most mainstream device in the world. The iPad and the iPhone will stay largely the same physically for years to come. 

Sure it will sell.  However, all Apple products have "boutique" built into them.  Heck I can remember Steve Jobs at a keynote saying the back of Apple's  monitors looks better than some of the competitors front!  Which shows Apple cares about it's vanity when it comes to their products.  Sure Apple isn't going to reinvent and redefine the rectangle.  However, the original iPhone-iPhone 3G-iPhone 4 ARE re-stylings of that rectangle all of which had to account for "thousands of factors".  When iPhone 4 came out it had a WOW factor because of its design.  Today, that WOW factor will turn into a WOAH factor if the soon to be released iPhone looks similar to the stylings of a phone released almost 3 years ago.

/

/

/

• Reply 31 of 164
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    So you'd move to an even WORSE design and WORSE OS? I don't get it.

tazz52 wrote: »
    This is absolutely awful. There is no way this is the real deal. If it is, bye bye Apple, hello Android

Give the guy a break will you. It was his first post and he hasn't got his trolling wings yet. He may get better.
  • Reply 32 of 164
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I'm saying this is an ugly fake. The only stipulation I'd add is that the initial pics of the iPhone 4 leaked by Gizmodo were of a significantly low quality that the device didn't look like something Apple would produce, yet once quality images showed up the fit and finish was obvious and it was clear it was an Apple product.

Here's one photo:

iphone_5_rear_shell_white_1.jpg

And another:

iphone_5_black_white_rear_casings_large.jpg

On the first one the colors are black and the font looks different, almost looks like the lettering on iPhone is raised, not flush with the surface. Clearly these are not the same devices. So perhaps these are prototypes and the final design may look completely different.
  • Reply 33 of 164
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member

Looks legit to me. Wide screen display, insulated antenna, no glass on the back -- smart choices. An improvement over the current design, without deviating too much. Only length has been added, which is the dimension that tolerates most increase without affecting convenient one-hand operation.

• Reply 34 of 164
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Sadly, there are some remarkable high res detailed photos at 9to5 Mac now.  

If this is a fake, it's a rather good one.  

I think it's time to start posting ...

• Reply 35 of 164
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

Looks legit to me. Wide screen display, insulated antenna, no glass on the back -- smart choices. An improvement over the current design, without deviating too much. Only length has been added, which is the dimension that tolerates most increase without affecting convenient one-hand operation.

This is what I think too.  And if this is legit, that means the new iphone will be out much sooner than fall because when legit components start to leak, it means production has started.

• Reply 36 of 164
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Splash-reverse View Post

Function always top of every designers brief (if it is set to function in the first place, of course). Period. #Just imagine. Cars and phones are a totally different product category not just the way how people use them but the way they work is remarkably different. You cannot paint with the same brush mobile phones, which need to be as light as possible even with all the electronics cramped in one place etc. with cars, that the size alone does not warrant them to be in the same category.

You are missing the point!  Don't compare phones to cars.  Compare cars to cars and phones to phones.  If the car you are happily driving today and you were willing to plunk down a boatload of money to purchase because its styling caught your eye and the function suited your needs, if the new model looked the same ten years later and your function needs remained the same would you still be as willing to purchase?  Don't tell me styling is not a consideration in any of the purchases you make be it a phone or a car or a home or an appliance or a soul mate...  

And what about clothes?  Surely you are not looking for the same style clothes you wore in the seventies either!

Haircuts?  Still parting you hair in the middle?  Or keeping that mullet up?

• Reply 37 of 164
    gazoobee wrote: »
    Sadly, there are some remarkable high res detailed photos at 9to5 Mac now.  

If this is a fake, it's a rather good one.  
    How come the color of the logo and font is different on these second set of photos? And there is no "Designed by Apple in California. Made in China" like on the first one. This doesn't look like a finished design to me.
  • Reply 38 of 164
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

How come the color of the logo and font is different on these second set of photos? And there is no "Designed by Apple in California. Made in China" like on the first one. This doesn't look like a finished design to me.

Different viewing angle, I suppose...

• Reply 39 of 164
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member

Damn, looks like it might be real. It's not what I had in my head, but oh well, I'l buy one anyway.

• Reply 40 of 164
    captain jcaptain j Posts: 313member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Splash-reverse View Post

The necessity to have to had a dramatic redesign of phone models and variations every year is the backbone MO of Nokia, Motorola, Sony et al. It does not or paid too much by Apple. Form and function is the foremost in Apple's mind not how it looks. If it works well, it does not have to be evolutionarily redesign to succeed. Much to the dismay of folks like DaHarder et al. with their strong Android, Nokia beliefs. Sorry for you.. just walk away.

Jonathan Ive disagrees. 

I agree that function is the top priority, but Ive's position and power in the company shows that appearance is very important to Apple too.