Alleged next-gen iPhone part shows aluminum back, smaller dock connector

Comments

• Reply 41 of 164
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

On the first one the colors are black and the font looks different, almost looks like the lettering on iPhone is raised, not flush with the surface. Clearly these are not the same devices. So perhaps these are prototypes and the final design may look completely different.

On prototypes it is not so easy to apply the actual lettering and logos especially if they are to be foil. Silkscreened lettering will often appear raised. I doubt the final will have mixed types of applications and or colors so these are quite likely prototypes. 

• Reply 42 of 164
    Notes from an OCD designer: 1. The iSight camera flash and mic should have been in that order: O o . Not O . o 2. The radius of the iSight camera should have formed the rounded corner of the phone, as per iPhone 4/4S. 3. Too many materials/colors visible on the back: frame, metal back and plastic. At least the metal aligns with the antenna bands, as does the screen. 4. The earphone jack should have stayed on top, on the left, same distance as lock button on the right, which should have been round as per volume buttons, to balance it all. 5. The mute button should have been round, as per volume buttons, sliding up-down to align it with volume buttons, not front-back.
  • Reply 43 of 164
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    drdoppio wrote: »
    Different viewing angle, I suppose...
    The colors are clearly different. First one is black, second is sort of a metallic gray.
  • Reply 44 of 164
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member

Quote:

Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

... It's not what I had in my head, but oh well, I'l buy one anyway.

I bet almost everyone is thinking that...

• Reply 45 of 164
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    That is looking much more authentic. The level of detail, the change of the device while keeping the familiar shape of the iPhone 4/4S. It also looks like that a broken display or Home Button will be much easier to fix as you'll access the components from the front.

[URL=http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/05/iphone_5_front_casing_large.jpg][IMG]http://forums.appleinsider.com/image/id/165636/width/560/height/369[/IMG][/URL]
    [I][SIZE=1]Click above for larger image[/SIZE][/I]

I do wonder how the antenna would be implemented with such a large aluminium chassis.
  • Reply 46 of 164
    mstone wrote: »
    On prototypes it is not so easy to apply the actual lettering and logos especially if they are to be foil. Silkscreened lettering will often appear raised. I doubt the final will have mixed types of applications and or colors so these are quite likely prototypes. 
    On the black one you can hardly see the lettering or the logo. Maybe it's just a bad picture but it seems odd.
  • Reply 47 of 164
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member

A unibody iPhone makes huge sense from a manufacturability point of view.  Would also be very tough.  And that prototype sure does look ugly... but I'm sure they're iterating fast on the design, and that it will be a bit more refined before shipping.

My guess is "not fake but not done yet"... these are probably destined for Ive's hands-on lab.

• Reply 48 of 164
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

God, you people are so predictable. 

'LOL SO UGLY NO WAY THIS IS LEGIT APPLE WOULD NEVER RELEASE SOMETHING LIKE THIS IF THEY DO THEY ARE FINISHED ETC ETC'

Pretty much identical to the iPhone 4 leak, which most people agreed was completely 'un-apple' and the 'ugliest design' they've ever seen, will 'never sell', specifically pointing to the gaps in the antenna, etc. How did that work out? It's widely considered to be classiest, and most well-designed phone ever made, and Apple saw fit to continue it for 2 generations and that design ended up selling hundreds of millions of units. So try to have some damn humility instead of pretending you have some insight into what looks good or not, and bashing something to hell and back instinctively. 

On another note, I find it despicable that Apple 'fansites' are releasing pics like this. Why? They know this damages Apple if this is actually the design to be released in 5-6 months, yet the only thing they consider is click-bait. 

• Reply 49 of 164

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I do wonder how the antenna would be implemented with such a large aluminium chassis.

Isn't the antenna on the outside still? If so it should not matter what the case is made of.

• Reply 50 of 164

I like the ear phone jack on the bottom because I normally keep my phone in my pocket face inward, upside down, that is when not using the ear phones. I like having the home button on top to grasp when taking it out of my pocket since I am often just checking the time and it just makes it easier that way. Now I can keep that preference even when listening to music since the jack will be facing upward as well.

• Reply 51 of 164
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain J View Post

Jonathan Ive disagrees. 

I agree that function is the top priority, but Ive's position and power in the company shows that appearance is very important to Apple too.

In actual fact, any designer knows that the whole "form vs. function" thing is a crock.  

Form and function go hand in hand.  

The perfect bowl for instance is defined by the function, but it is also beautiful and the perfect form because of that fact.  You can't separate form from function and as a designer you should never strive to do so.  

Designers (at least good ones) don't make things that function well and then "dress them up."

There is no battle between form and function, they are accomplished together.  

• Reply 52 of 164
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,142member

Is that two-tone part a plastic cover or an actual part of the back? It looks like the top and bottom strips are glass and the middle aluminium. Not a fan, I'd prefer a clean slab. But this is just a prototype at most so meh. 

• Reply 53 of 164
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,142member

Quote:

Why? they're still on the outside by the looks of it. What difference does an aluminium back make if the antennae are outside it to the sides? 

• Reply 54 of 164
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    mstone wrote: »
    Isn't the antenna on the outside still? If so it should not matter what the case is made of.
    tipoo wrote: »
    Why? they're still on the outside by the looks of it. What difference does an aluminium back make if the antennae are outside it to the sides? 

There is no way for you two to know if it's on the outside again. There are multiple antennas on the iPhone. Only the iPhone 4 had the WiFi and Bluetooth antenna on the outside, the iPhone 4S brought the antenna back inside where it actually worked better over its predecessor according to Anand Tech..
  • Reply 55 of 164
    No way do I believe this is what the finished product will look like. This is probably a prototype destined for Ive's lab.
  • Reply 56 of 164

Is there any chance that the mini dock connector could actually be a thunderbolt port? My guess is not because the electronics to support a thunderbolt port would be more than a small mobile device could support but I can still imagine the possibilities. One thing I would love to do with an iOS is use the port for a wired ethernet connection for maximum bandwidth and/or security. Thunderbolt would allow this along with direct connection to an external monitor or high speed storage. It would make it possible to plug any iOS device into a super dock which would really blur the line between mobile devices and portable computers.

• Reply 57 of 164
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Here's one photo:
    iphone_5_rear_shell_white_1.jpg
    And another:
    iphone_5_black_white_rear_casings_large.jpg
    On the first one the colors are black and the font looks different, almost looks like the lettering on iPhone is raised, not flush with the surface. Clearly these are not the same devices. So perhaps these are prototypes and the final design may look completely different.

If so, it could be that they're finally going to use Liquidmetal. It would be much easier to make raised letter with Liquidmetal than with machined aluminum.
  • Reply 58 of 164
    negafoxnegafox Posts: 480member

Quote:

That is looking much more authentic. The level of detail, the change of the device while keeping the familiar shape of the iPhone 4/4S. It also looks like that a broken display or Home Button will be much easier to fix as you'll access the components from the front.

Click above for larger image

That right picture makes these leaks look quite authentic.  I prefer the speaker redesign in these leaks.  The current speaker grille collects dirt too easily.  Actually, I might like the headphone jack placement too... the cable might not dangle across the screen as much.

• Reply 59 of 164
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tipoo View Post

It looks to me like the centre part is a "unibody" aluminium part and that the sides are actually connected (part of the same piece).  

The top and the bottom edge pieces are the main antennas in the current model and appear to be so in this model.  This would also explain the glass bits in that they want the aluminium to stay as far away from the antennas as possible.  

So it kind of makes sense from a design point of view, which is sad, because it's butt ugly and they are insanely stupid to change the aspect ratio like that.  

Very, very disappointing to me.  

I can't see at the moment why on earth I would buy one of these things.  

• Reply 60 of 164
    j1h15233j1h15233 Posts: 274member

My first judgement looking at the pictures of the tall screen (if it is indeed how the final product will look) is that I don't like it. It seems cheaper if that makes sense. I'll withhold final judgements until we actually get the reveal from Apple.