Apple television announcement expected to precede launch by 2-6 months

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 86
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

I was being sarcastic not nonsensical, big difference. But do tell me how those big screen TVs will get serviced?

You get your TVs 'serviced'? 

OK.... cool. 

(Gently stepping away from your world; should've seen it coming, I guess).

• Reply 82 of 86
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

2.7M aTVs so far this year...man I wish there were games on the thing.  I'd buy a couple more.

I'll likely get a replacement XBox sometime but comparing the price for games just getting the current iOS level of quality is going to hammer the console market.

Parents can do the math...$9.99 for a game vs $59.99...

• Reply 83 of 86
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    You get your TVs 'serviced'? 

OK.... cool. 

(Gently stepping away from your world; should've seen it coming, I guess).

Hardy har har, I see where your mind is and why you have a hard time understanding anything above a 6th grade level. You think all those sets are all gonna work brilliantly sans any problems. For devices that are supposed to "just work" Apple stores are busting at the seams with people whose device just isn't working, now imagine how many things can go wrong with a totally integrated TV set and how those sets are going to be repaired.
  • Reply 84 of 86
    bmason1270bmason1270 Posts: 258member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    That's fine if you only have one TV, I have 4 fairly new TVs. What then?

The big TV would then stream to Apple TVs. Ala Dish's Hopper System.
  • Reply 85 of 86
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    nht wrote: »
    No, it simply eliminates 1 box and 2 cables. A box the size of a hockey puck.

How in the world do you play hockey with a puck the size of a cable TV box? Mine is at least 12" on a side and 4" deep.

Not to mention, of course, that for some people, even a single connection is too much.
    Everything else remains the same in every other scenario. If Apple can get rid of the cable box for the hdtv then it can as well in the aTV scenario. They simply build that capability into the next aTV.

Even if one accepts that, having it built into the TV still simplifies things greatly. For some people, even a single extra box is too much. My mother wouldn't buy a DVD player until someone agreed to come over and set it up for her. An Apple TV would solve that problem.
    In any case, unless they have the content deals in place AND a viable last mile solution it is highly unlikely to get rid of the cable box for most folks since cable is their ISP as well. Look at Comcast and how they are treating their VOD data as not part of the data cap.

Irrelevant. You asked what advantage there was to putting the circuitry in the TV rather than a separate box and I told you. I never claimed that it was a good idea.
    The probability that Apple includes built in bluray in their TV approaches zero. An Apple HTiaB makes a lot more sense than an Apple HDTV and that strikes me as still unlikely.
    Add a class t amp to the aTV and 3 hdmi inputs and make a remote app for the iPhone/iPad my wife can use and I'll retire my current Denon reciever.

Again, that's not the question you asked. You asked why anyone would want to have all the components in one box and the answer is clear. That's not to say that it's a good idea.
  • Reply 86 of 86
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

This was the original question.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nht View Post

If it is that obvious then why hasn't anyone answered this very basic question?

What does an Apple branded HDTV do for apple that the aTV form factor cannot? 

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

How in the world do you play hockey with a puck the size of a cable TV box? Mine is at least 12" on a side and 4" deep.

Not to mention, of course, that for some people, even a single connection is too much.

Because the difference is between an Apple branded HDTV with the aTV built in and a Samsung HDTV with an external aTV.  The aTV is rather small.

Quote:

Even if one accepts that, having it built into the TV still simplifies things greatly. For some people, even a single extra box is too much. My mother wouldn't buy a DVD player until someone agreed to come over and set it up for her. An Apple TV would solve that problem.

Irrelevant. You asked what advantage there was to putting the circuitry in the TV rather than a separate box and I told you. I never claimed that it was a good idea.

Again, that's not the question you asked. You asked why anyone would want to have all the components in one box and the answer is clear. That's not to say that it's a good idea.

The advantage consists of one cable, one box and one power cord.  Given that you will still need a cable box this is a very minimal advantage.  You didn't seem to read the question I asked and substituted your own.

There is nothing you can do with the Apple HDTV that you cannot do with a Samsung HDTV and an aTV.

There is nothing that an Apple branded HDTV can do for Apple that the aTV external box cannot do EXCEPT for higher ASPs.  Total revenue and profits might be higher assuming they can sell many given the huge number of disadvantages inherent in smart TVs where the "smarts" get obsoleted quickly.

Frankly they are far better off simply licensing AirPlay to LG, Sharp, Panasonic, etc with very strict guidelines on how it is supported (802.11N wireless capability required) and accessed on the remote (one button), setup (none) and limited exclusively to iOS devices (maybe require encryption).