Video shows taller front panel allegedly for Apple's next iPhone

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 80

Quote:

Originally Posted by iEatApples View Post

have u guys seen the big white iphone 4s in apple store windows? i want my phone that big!

Microsoft has it and it's called the iTable. The people at one end of the table use it to talk to those at the other end. It's totally revolutionized the table market.

• Reply 62 of 80
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member

Quote:

Originally Posted by frugality View Post

Though the screen may change shape, I'm betting that the actual App real estate will be the same as the 3.5" displays, and developers won't have to change anything.  What we'll get is an actual dock for 'real' multi-tasking -- not the 'double-click-the-home-screen' thing.  So the iOS will be upgraded as well to give us a visual dock for running Apps, and/or maybe a place for customizable buttons.

That's my prediction.

-Carnac the Magnificent

This actually makes a lot of sense, especially if Apple also gives developers the ability to use the entire screen if they choose to (video apps, certainly).

• Reply 63 of 80
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Wow, do you have a crystal ball or something?

I'm also convinced the way I'm convinced that tomorrow the sun will rise in the East and set in the West, that some people will die and some will be born, and some people will have the best day of their lives while others will have the worst, and you will continue to be bitter, anger, and fail to post anything useful or relevant in any thread. A rational and sane person should know that one can be convinced of such things based on historical data and facts but that doesn't mean one is saying this is the only thing that could happen, only what they overwhelming know as most likely.
  • Reply 64 of 80
    frugality wrote: »
    Though the screen may change shape, I'm betting that the actual App real estate will be the same as the 3.5" displays, and developers won't have to change anything.  What we'll get is an actual dock for 'real' multi-tasking -- not the 'double-click-the-home-screen' thing.  So the iOS will be upgraded as well to give us a visual dock for running Apps, and/or maybe a place for customizable buttons.

That's my prediction.
     -Carnac the Magnificent
    That seems the least likely to me. Besides the entire iOS design and philosophy being based on the device is the app that is currently being shown having a dock of icons at the bottom will be accidentally hit by your finger which will affect usability. You can see this for yourself with the newer Android phones with software buttons.

if we assume the same PPI and display width we're not talking a lot of work for developers. We're talking about the 176 more pixels on one axis. Open up Mail or Safari and rotate the orientation. It changes perfectly to take up the space. All apps that are following the longstanding guidelines should work quite well already. If they don't then we're talking about 176x640 pixels not being used. I imagine there are games that would be affected, but we're talking about an 88 pixel letter-boxing for those that can't naturally adapt. Not exactly an issue as the old resolution will fit into the proposed new resolution with an exact pixel size.

I'd like them to resolve some of the issues with the Fast App Switching but having a permanent dock is to me the worst solution possible.
  • Reply 65 of 80

Quote:

Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

I don't believe Apple has ever purposefully leaked a y Apple hardware. That's just not their style.

Obviously you don't remember Codename Asteroid. Apple has done that before.

• Reply 66 of 80
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Why would a TV remote need a dock connector, speakers, a mic, a FaceTime camera, and to be a quarter of an inch thick?

No. And no.
    So app developers don't need to know if the aspect ratio changes? That doesn't impact them at all?
  • Reply 67 of 80
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by gordy View Post

Ah, rumor season is upon us.  Welcome noobs.

I had a thought which turned into a question which turned into this.

Argument.gif

Ballmer-Season.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

So app developers don't need to know if the aspect ratio changes? That doesn't impact them at all?

Didn't say that. Apple's just not going to TELL them in advance.

• Reply 68 of 80
    quambquamb Posts: 143member

Every time Apple release a new product or significant design change the internet predictably erupts with hate and rants...

Though I gotta say, this time, the idea of a larger iPhone really does sound bloody awful. I love it how the iPhone has stuck with it's size, it's perfectly compact and fits in your pocket with ease, plus the resolution/ratio is the same across all models. It's a phone. Elegant. Not a tablet, bloated e-diary or Android beast.

Really hoping this jpg is just some cheap rip-off chinese part.

• Reply 69 of 80
    rogifan wrote: »

Your question sounds unfair. Is your query an implication that they need to know before the product launches? Did developers need to know about the resolution changes before the iPhone 4 and iPad (3) was announced? It certainly would have been nice but most of those that were following the guidelines had little to no work in adapting to the new number of pixels. The most logical course of action for Apple to me seems to be using the same pixel density and making the current resolution fit inside the new size without having to cut off any pixels.
  • Reply 70 of 80
    ivlad wrote: »
    It's weird to have this part, because last two iPhone models have the screen being part of the front glass. I think it's purposely leaked prototype by Apple.

The glass front has been a part of the display and touch matrix because Apple has been adhering them together. While they might still do that the display, touch matrix and glass cover have been being built as at least 3 separate components, perhaps 4 if you count the backlight but I'm not sure if that comes as a single piece off the same general assembly.

There is hope that Apple might not be gluing them anymore if recent rumours of the new case are true as it shows that access to the internals will happen from the frontside instead of the back panel. This likely means cheaper front panel and home button repair costs; perhaps even something one can do themselves. Even if they do adhere the glass to the electronics it would still probably be cheaper than it is now, but I hope they fine a way to make it look as good without adhering it permanently.
  • Reply 71 of 80
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Your question sounds unfair. Is your query an implication that they need to know before the product launches? Did developers need to know about the resolution changes before the iPhone 4 and iPad (3) was announced? It certainly would have been nice but most of those that were following the guidelines had little to now to work in adapting to the new number of pixels. The most logical course of action for Apple to me seems to be using the same pixel density and making the current resolution fit inside the new size without having to cut off any pixels.
    I guess It was just wishful thinking that we'd get some clue as to whether iPhone is going 16:9. Pictures on rumors sites of a supposed phone mean nothing to me because more often than not the rumors are wrong,
  • Reply 72 of 80
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member
    Inspiration for the new iphone: 

LLLL

and of course:

LL

esp. that last one is going to come in very handy to apple after iphone's 5 release.

Ohh, finally colors are back!
  • Reply 73 of 80
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grid View Post

LOL!

Did you really find that post amusing? Goodness.

• Reply 74 of 80

Quote:

Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

If they do release this brilliant design it can double up as a tv remote. LG tried doing it, but apple will get it right. Think different. Think taller. Use that phone as a remote.

Samsung-TV-LED-C9000-Remote.jpg

Actually that's a Samsung, and isn't it funny how it looks like an hyper-extended 3GS... From another angle:

samsung-all-in-one-touch-remote.jpg

• Reply 75 of 80

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post If they were changing the iPhone to 16:9 wouldn't that fact come out during WWDC?  Wouldn't app developers have to be made aware?

Ever heard of an NDA?

• Reply 76 of 80
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

You were only the 2nd post.   Who exactly were you trying to calm down?   

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You're right, my mistake. 4" is smaller than 3.5", of course.

my LOLs for tonight on the interwebs

• Reply 78 of 80
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overlord View Post

It's a LG BL40 Chocolate!!!

Holy cow, I remember that. I remember that we all trashed it, too, and with good reason, because it's a completely idiotic design.

Better brace yourselves, everyone. This is what the Android trolls are going to cite now that being an idiot and talking about the Prada is no longer in vogue.

• Reply 79 of 80
    appleemplappleempl Posts: 75member
    ergonomic mistake for those with small hands
  • Reply 80 of 80

That LG monstrosity has a 21:9 aspect ratio.