Samsung Galaxy S III uses identical Sony-made camera seen in iPhone 4S

Comments

• Reply 21 of 45
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    slurpy wrote: »
    Wait, I thought all the trolls were bashing Apple because of the 'pathetic' update that was the 4S? Now it's impressive that Samsung's highest end, just released, teased-to-hell-and-back flagship phone uses the exact same camera released 8 months ago in the 4S? Ok then. Go Samsung!

Oh, and I'm shocked at this corruption and bribery scandal, just shocked. Oh wait, not really. 

It's a Sony camera designed for a phone, big deal. Apple didn't think enough of it to secure it only be used for iPhones why should anyone care.
  • Reply 22 of 45
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by agramonte View Post

it is called the LG Prada, shown on Dec 2006

How come the iPhone didn't have three buttons like the Prada had, green for call, menu in the centre and red to end?

Strange that and was it magical that Apple made a fully working prototype of the iPhone which they showed off a few weeks later?

• Reply 23 of 45

It makes you wonder about Samsung cameras. are they really that bad?

No wonder you often see them going cheap in discount shops selling factory seconds and other junk.

• Reply 24 of 45
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    hill60 wrote: »
    How come the iPhone didn't have three buttons like the Prada had, green for call, menu in the centre and red to end?

Strange that and was it magical that Apple made a fully working prototype of the iPhone which they showed off a few weeks later?

Funny you should say that because the Samsung Galaxy 2 had those extra buttons yet it was still claimed it was a iPhone copy.
  • Reply 25 of 45

Quote:

Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

"it is called the LG Prada, shown on Dec 2006"

Oh god, just drop that BS already. Yes and there were picture frames before iPad and pasta was made by the Chinese not the Italians.... yes yes yes we all know. Let's move on.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Why post about Prada fail? It will only cause Prada more pain. Prada's refined handbags are particularly sensitive. 

Development of the iPhone began in 2005. We know that much. How about development of the LG Prada?

http://www.wired.com/gadgets/wireless/magazine/16-02/ff_iphone

Nor was iPhone development such a big secret. 

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/timeline-apple-iphone-rumors-1999-present

his point was the metal band thing that someone accused as being a rip off of the iPhone

• Reply 26 of 45

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

The mention of the Prada was specifically made to refute the claims of Samsung copying the metal band thing (pretty sure it's plastic on the shitty looking GSIII)

It wasn't made to say the iPhone was a rip-off of it (in this thread)

Context...it means the world.
  • Reply 27 of 45

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Funny you should say that because the Samsung Galaxy 2 had those extra buttons yet it was still claimed it was a iPhone copy.

Sorry, I'm not seeing it

samsung-galaxy-s-ii-real-ofic-1.jpg

...or did you mean the Galaxy S?

samsung-galaxy-s-00.jpg

• Reply 28 of 45
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member

No one, with a shred of intelligence or the slightest grip on reality, can honestly deny that Samsung is brazenly copying Apple. To do so is as absurd as denying that the earth is round or that it revolves around the sun. Some may be shills, but the rest of the deniers seem to have their egos so wrapped up in hating Apple and loving Android that they've lost their last scrap of integrity. Sad, really.

• Reply 29 of 45
    nairbnairb Posts: 253member

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

first thing that caught my eye is the metal band around the phone. Apple got a lot of flack about that band the external antenna. So much so that any other company would be stupid to copy it but it seems that Samsung is that dumb. Even if it is just decorative it's a rather dumb move that makes the phone look like a flat copy of the iPhone's basic look. 

That they are hyping their SVoice which basically does what Siri does etc and it's not good for Samsung. Sure they might pass on the legal notion of copying but to the public its a different game. As it was said, it would be nice if they would find their own inspiration and not out of Apple's design book. 

You mean like the metal band around this Samsumg phone announced in 2006

http://gizmodo.com/samsung-ultra-video/#13386322092123&{"type":"iframeUpdated","height":294}

• Reply 30 of 45
    nairbnairb Posts: 253member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Not strange at all. Looking at changes in design over the year preceding the iphone, the iphone design was obvious.

And even if it wasnt, you can easily build a housing in a few weeks.

• Reply 31 of 45
    nairb wrote: »
     Not strange at all. Looking at changes in design over the year preceding the iphone, the iphone design was obvious.

And even if it wasnt, you can easily build a housing in a few weeks.

One of the biggest complaints as to why the iPhone was doomed to failure at it's launch, was the replacement of physical "Call" and "End" buttons with touch based on screen controls.

Selective memory is a strange thing.

2006 Samsung was still copying Nokia dual sliders.
  • Reply 32 of 45
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    slurpy wrote: »
    Wait, I thought all the trolls were bashing Apple because of the 'pathetic' update that was the 4S? Now it's impressive that Samsung's highest end, just released, teased-to-hell-and-back flagship phone uses the exact same camera released 8 months ago in the 4S? Ok then. Go Samsung!

Oh, and I'm shocked at this corruption and bribery scandal, just shocked. Oh wait, not really. 

Let's be fair. There are plenty of things to criticize Samsung for without distorting the facts. It's not true that Samsung is using the exact same camera as the iPhone 4S:

1. The article states that it's a newer version with some updates.
    2. Samsung provides their own optics and memory.

Furthermore, there are only so many camera sensors out there. Sony is one of the leaders. If Samsung went to Sony and said "give us your best sensor available for $xxx", chances are that they'd get the same sensor that Apple is using. That's no different than criticizing Apple for using the same Intel Core processors as Dell and HP.

anonymouse wrote: »
    No one, with a shred of intelligence or the slightest grip on reality, can honestly deny that Samsung is brazenly copying Apple. To do so is as absurd as denying that the earth is round or that it revolves around the sun. Some may be shills, but the rest of the deniers seem to have their egos so wrapped up in hating Apple and loving Android that they've lost their last scrap of integrity. Sad, really.

Well said. It absolutely amazes me how much energy some people will put into denigrating a product that they don't use and swear that they'll never use. Seems like some kind of mental illness-possibly narcissistic personality disorder.
  • Reply 33 of 45
    sleepy3sleepy3 Posts: 244member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeniThings View Post

....could they have copied Siri and more closely?.........

What the????

Android voice actions came out WAAAAYYYY BEFORREEEE SIRI!!!!!

How in God's name is S-voice, which is basically the same voice system that the gs2 had (AGAIN...BEFORE SIRI!!!!!) copying Siri?????????????????????????

All they did was realise they should have advertised it so they gave it a name. 

I can do this with my gs2. "hi galaxy, message bob, I'll be late for the meeting"

And it will do it. 

I can do this with siri. "send a message to bob that i will be late for the meeting" and it will do it. All siri did was improve how you speak to the phone. 

and siri still lags behind the voice actions on the GS2 cause i still cant tell it do things like open apps. 

!!

Seriously, why are people acting like android never had full phone voice control for years before siri WHEN IT DID!!

• Reply 34 of 45
    sleepy3sleepy3 Posts: 244member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Yeah, same for people that think iphone had drop down notifications, multitasking, front facing camera, voice control, folder creation, os messaging, video chat, etc first.

Apple copies, Samsung copies, RIM copies....they ALL copy. 

Imagine using an iphone without any of the features that Apple copied from RIM/ Google.....would be a pretty lame device. Say goodbye to facetime, folders, siri, all of the good stuff that you enjoy. 

• Reply 35 of 45
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,142member

Title: "Identical"

Article: "Newer version"

One of these is incorrect. 

• Reply 36 of 45
    e_veritase_veritas Posts: 248member

I don't know what is more interesting. These back and forth "copying" debates, or watching a couple 6 year olds play a game of "I know you are, but what am I"?...

• Reply 37 of 45
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepy3 View Post

Yeah, same for people that think iphone had drop down notifications, multitasking, front facing camera, voice control, folder creation, os messaging, video chat, etc first.

Apple copies, Samsung copies, RIM copies....they ALL copy. 

Imagine using an iphone without any of the features that Apple copied from RIM/ Google.....would be a pretty lame device. Say goodbye to facetime, folders, siri, all of the good stuff that you enjoy. 

Then, there's this kind of thinking that can't distinguish between cheap imitation and taking an idea and making it your own. They often like to quote, out of context, Steve Job's quote of Picasso's, "Good artists copy, great artists steal," line, without even trying to understand what it means. Apple doesn't copy, they take an idea, a concept, a feature and they make it their own. And yes, sometimes they buy it first, before they make it their own. Anyone who trots out Facetime and Siri as "copies" of something else is just displaying ignorance or self-deception. The issue with Samsung, or Android in general, isn't that they are doing things that Apple did, it's that they aren't doing anything to make it their own, they're just "slavishly" copying. They aren't even "good artists", they're hacks.

For illustration, take the fashion world. Samsung apologists would essentially argue that any designer who does skirts is just copying, because skirts already have been done. In their minds, or at least their rhetoric, there's no distinction between doing skirts and making them your own and using photos from fashion shows to make cheap knockoff's of a designers work.

And, by the way, anyone who's ever used Unix/Linux and seen a "last login..." or "you have mail..." message knows that RIM and Google didn't invent notifications. (And neither did AT&T.) But, by your logic, the Android notification system is just a copy, which I think is quite a slap in the face to the Android development team. But, you have to apply your logic consistently, so there you have it.

• Reply 38 of 45

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Furthermore, there are only so many camera sensors out there. Sony is one of the leaders. If Samsung went to Sony and said "give us your best sensor available for $xxx", chances are that they'd get the same sensor that Apple is using. That's no different than criticizing Apple for using the same Intel Core processors as Dell and HP.

This exactly. What's next, complaing phones using LG's IPS LCD are copying the iphone screen too?

• Reply 39 of 45
    nkalunkalu Posts: 315member

Samsung stop copying Apple.

• Reply 40 of 45
    zozmanzozman Posts: 393member

Ive had a play with the s3, i gotta say, it doesn't look or feel like any iPhone, it actually looks more like the HTC One X.

the screen is pretty nice & bright, seemed pretty clear, colour accuracy, not so much, it does the samsung thing of over saturating everything, making things look more cartoony, but to the effect of making pictures look very different to the iPhone 4s, which has very accurate colour (almost dull sometimes, wish the world was more colourful :P ).

basically at least looking on both screens the pictures turned out very different, i didn't put them both on a computer to compare.

id be interested in seeing what the comparisons say.