Corning unveils slimmer, flexible Willow Glass

Comments

• Reply 21 of 49
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member

I wonder if George Costanza was the hand model for that image?

• Reply 22 of 49
    radster360radster360 Posts: 546member

Not sure if I care for the curved glass or even curved screen. Too many issues - such has color and image distortion, hard to use the visual keyboard (even with a slight curve). I am sure it might have some application, but I don't think phone will be the one.

• Reply 23 of 49
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member

Quote:

Originally Posted by softeky View Post

Devices you can strap on your wrist/arm or leg (pilot board). Use it as a facemask for all-round augmented reality display. Get in your car, unwrap it slightly, mount it above your dash and it becomes the viewscreen/customizable HUD in your car. Could lead to a whole new type of device/experience.

I, for one, welcome our new flexible overlords.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

A surface you control in a million ways by touch—like iOS and the systems “inspired” by iOS—works best with a perfect flat surface. Just like it’s easier to write on a desk than a jar. If a smartphone tries a curved screen as a gimmick, stay away.

But some special-use devices will have some new styling options thanks to this. It’s certainly impressive even if I don’t see it helping Apple much.

The military is likely to go ga-ga over some of the "in the field" possibilities.....  ...and then of course, there's "Google Glasses," meaning new opportunities for "geek chic."

• Reply 24 of 49
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Quote:

Originally Posted by silvergun View Post

This sounds good for a potential Apple headset.

I guess you meant Apple iGlasses to compete against Google's Project Glass...

• Reply 25 of 49
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    A flexible display allows vendors to make curved surfaces but you still have the guts of the device not being bendable.
    On top of that, why would you need an iPhone that bends? I can't think of a case that would give the user an advantage.

It Is a Big advantage for the user as it means a device can be more break resistant. However I have to suggest that you need to think in the way of new device that would leverage the technology.

If you are like me and are expecting the number of iOS devices to increase, materials like this just give Apple more options in design. One cool concept would be a 36" iMac with wrap around screen. Think about some of the more interesting Sci-Fi films realized recently. This of course is not an iOS device but demonstrates just one possibility.
  • Reply 26 of 49
    sandyfsandyf Posts: 42member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

No. It's called the age of Material Science Engineering and EE has nothing to do with it.

Robot Law?!?

images.jpeg

• Reply 27 of 49
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    wizard69 wrote: »
    It Is a Big advantage for the user as it means a device can be more break resistant. However I have to suggest that you need to think in the way of new device that would leverage the technology.
    If you are like me and are expecting the number of iOS devices to increase, materials like this just give Apple more options in design. One cool concept would be a 36" iMac with wrap around screen. Think about some of the more interesting Sci-Fi films realized recently. This of course is not an iOS device but demonstrates just one possibility.

Oh sure, a curve ATD or iMac display was the first thing that came to mind, then glasses if they can work work to use transparent display tech (like was shown at CES), then contact lenses (let's ignore how they are powered or get data). My comment was about the device being bendable, not simply about a display that is more resilient to warping.

sandyf wrote: »
    Robot Law?!?

LL
    The first law of robotics is: you do not talk about robot law!
  • Reply 28 of 49
  • Reply 29 of 49
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    softeky wrote: »
    Devices you can strap on your wrist/arm or leg (pilot board). Use it as a facemask for all-round augmented reality display. Get in your car, unwrap it slightly, mount it above your dash and it becomes the viewscreen/customizable HUD in your car. Could lead to a whole new type of device/experience.
    I, for one, welcome our new flexible overlords.

Something tells me that the notion of taking it off your wrist etc is wrong. But yes they could be molded to the back side of the car window or molded into a HUD style pair of shades etc.

Or when the tech gets small enough the idea of a Tony Starck style transparent computer display or yes video phone will be closer to real
  • Reply 30 of 49
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Corning on Monday announced its new Willow Glass,

Corning's new Willow Glass

"Corning Gorilla Glass

The new Willow Glass

Corning's Gorilla Glass

"Corning Willow GlassCorning's new Willow GlassCorning announced its Gorilla Glass 2,

Even though the new Gorilla Glass is up to 20 percent thinner

Corning's Gorilla GlassCorning is indeed a supplier, and Gorilla Glass

Is it Willow Glass or Gorilla Glass?

Or is Willow Glass simply a type of Gorilla Glass?

• Reply 31 of 49
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

On top of that, why would you need an iPhone that bends? I can't think of a case that would give the user an advantage.

Obviously, for making calls around corners...

• Reply 32 of 49
    sandyfsandyf Posts: 42member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Oh sure, a curve ATD or iMac display was the first thing that came to mind, then glasses if they can work work to use transparent display tech (like was shown at CES), then contact lenses (let's ignore how they are powered or get data). My comment was about the device being bendable, not simply about a display that is more resilient to warping.

Wild West Law?!?

images.jpeg

• Reply 33 of 49
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandyf View Post

Wild West Law?!?

Cole's Law?!

coleslaw-a.jpg

• Reply 34 of 49
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

Air bag glass / touch screen eventually becoming the norm for iDevices to protect them from display damage.

• Reply 35 of 49
    Cole's Law?

Jude Law? (Gotta keep it on androids)

• Reply 36 of 49
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandyf View Post

Robot Law?!?

images.jpeg

That should be an animated gif with the eyes moving around...

• Reply 37 of 49
    notscottnotscott Posts: 247member

Personally I find the iPhone 4S kinda rigid, especially when I have to hide it in my anus.

• Reply 38 of 49
    Yes AppleInsider has complete idiots writing copy for them. Apparently the staff at AppleInsider has caught on to the concept of an editor, if that doesn't float their boat maybe peer review before publishing.

Thankfully when things like this come out you have the whole WWW to get to the bottom of things.
    chris_ca wrote: »
    Quote:
    Corning on Monday announced its new Willow Glass,

Corning's new Willow Glass

"Corning Gorilla Glass

The new Willow Glass

Corning's Gorilla Glass

"Corning Willow GlassCorning's new Willow GlassCorning announced its Gorilla Glass 2,
    Even though the new Gorilla Glass is up to 20 percent thinner
    Corning's Gorilla GlassCorning is indeed a supplier, and Gorilla Glass
    Is it Willow Glass or Gorilla Glass?

Or is Willow Glass simply a type of Gorilla Glass?
  • Reply 39 of 49
    Jude Law? (Gotta keep it on androids)

Not to pull the train off the tracks but what movie is that from?
  • Reply 40 of 49
    As to the movie I was thinking about, Avatar is the one with the curved computer console screens. Obviously we don't want Apple getting into building work stations that size, but a nice curved desk top screen, transparent or not, would be very appealing. After a bit desktop screens are just too big.

OK, but I very much see an advantage to a phone that can flex a bit and be no worst off because of it. That doesn't mean bending into a U bolt or other shape. That is iPhone, there are endless possibilities for such a material. One being a heads up transparent visor. If LCDs could be laminated to the glass or OLEDs grown on the panel and the easily bent afterward this would be huge for advertising. Just think screen you could wrap around posts and beams in building, even corners could become dynamic.