Purported 13" MacBook Pro specs show USB 3.0, Ivy Bridge, no Retina display

Comments

• Reply 81 of 131
    hudson1hudson1 Posts: 800member

Quote:

Originally Posted by serpicolugnut View Post

If this is the new '$999' entry level non SSD notebook, then I'm sure Apple will sell at ton of them. Remember, Apple needs to keep a legacy machine in the lineup that hits the $999 price point, as many schools/universities had relied upon that pricepoint/model as their Go2 machine.

Hell, if this model is $999, I might pass up a $1700 Macbook Pro refresh for it. With a refreshed chassis, Apple might take away the ability to swap out the hard drive easily, and if that's the case, I'm buying the last unibody model I can get my hands on and ride that machine out as long as I can.

Wouldn't this be a break with tradition if Apple puts a backlit keyboard with ambient light sensor on the entry-level model?

• Reply 82 of 131
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

PS: No font options in the new forum?

Yes, but you have to do them manually or copy them in from somewhere else.

• Reply 83 of 131
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    hudson1 wrote: »

Wouldn't this be a break with tradition if Apple puts a backlit keyboard with ambient light sensor on the entry-level model?

Often what is a premium feature will become a standard feature even amongst the most basic tech products.
  • Reply 84 of 131
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bounou View Post

Surprised no one else has pointed this out yet but it could still have a retina display as a build to order model, the current 15" MBP has the option for a higher resolution screen.

The specs above, the option for a retina display and i am all set

You're right.  Retina display could be a build to order model, or the top end version of the MacBookPro, but I thought Apple was going to do away with optical drives on MBPs.

• Reply 85 of 131
    webmailwebmail Posts: 639member

It's 100% fake. As a former Apple employee I can assure you of this. ALL real Apple packaging has a 'secret' mark which this one lacks. You can tell it's copy and pasted from another packaging images because the mark I'm referring to is sliced.

So it's printed off another packaging, then faked.

100% Fake. 

• Reply 86 of 131

Quote:

Originally Posted by webmail View Post

It's 100% fake. As a former Apple employee I can assure you of this. ALL real Apple packaging has a 'secret' mark which this one lacks.

Let's put the latter part aside for now. I've not seen many of these spec stickers for recent models, so I'd like to ask if they have ever mentioned Turbo Boost on them before. Similarly, have there ever been models that reference the integrated GPU without talking about the RAM that goes along with it?

• Reply 87 of 131
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    negafox wrote: »
    I am talking about real-world benchmarks (application performance), not clock speed. Clock speed became irrelevant with the demise of the Intel Pentium 4.

You're absolutely wrong. Especially the part where you claimed "X86 CPU performance has largely been stagnant over the past few years. " That is clearly false. Current Macs are about 4 times the performance of mine which is about 5 years old.

And saying that clock speed doesn't matter indicates that you don't know what you're talking about. Clock speed is not the only thing that matters, but for two processors with the same technology, the one with the higher clock speed will always be faster.
  • Reply 88 of 131

Quote:

Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

Still only 1280x800

And people are hassling the win8 crowd for low resolutions. It's getting a little long in the tooth now, even compared to apple products.

If this is a REAL model, it might be for the budget conscious market that want all of the connection the PC people want, but it is meant for the entry level portable market.  It does have a few specs that are suspicious.  Maybe it is purposely done to throw everyone off base.

• Reply 89 of 131
    bugsnwbugsnw Posts: 717member

If I were Cook, I'd push for a very impressive upgrade. Something unexpected. He needs to make his mark.

• Reply 90 of 131
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

I think it's real and is the entry level. Those specs match the lowest mobile i5 (excepting ulv models).

They kept the polycarbonate Macbook around for ages to serve as the entry level when everything else went Alu, and this is the same thing. The main lineup will go Retina, and this minor bump to the current gen will be the next gen's entry level. The article says it's a MBP, but I don't see that anywhere on the label, maybe it will simply be called Macbook (without the Pro).

• Reply 91 of 131

Quote:

Originally Posted by bugsnw View Post

If I were Cook, I'd push for a very impressive upgrade. Something unexpected. He needs to make his mark.

That's not his business nor his place. Cook is a master of logistics and business deals. That is how he'll leave his mark.

A newly redesigned computer of any type is Ive leaving his mark. A great new iOS 6 is Forstall leaving his mark. 

Tim shouldn't become the new Steve.

• Reply 92 of 131

Maybe since the PC market calls their new laptops Ultrabooks, maybe Apple will call their UltraPCs.   Really mess with them.

• Reply 93 of 131
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    bugsnw wrote: »

It seems clear to me that Cook has already made his mark at Apple by helping turn Apple from near death into the world's largest company all while maximizing manufacturing efficiency and keeping it light and nimble like a startup. Even before Steve stepped down the first time as CEO most here seemed certain that Cook would be the ideal and obvious replacement because of his many abilities.

Perhaps there is something to be said for those who aren't well versed in the company to see the new face being as impressive as Jobs but I don't see Cook caring about what a few people think of him over making the best longterm decisions for the company. Also consider that much of what happens next week was in play and under Jobs direction a lot longer than it was solely under Cook's.
  • Reply 94 of 131
    hudson1hudson1 Posts: 800member

Quote:

Often what is a premium feature will become a standard feature even amongst the most basic tech products.

Yeah, I get that but one would think a 1440 x 900 resolution would be a standard feature long before a self-dimming backlit keyboard.  Makes me wonder how real this is.

• Reply 95 of 131
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crunch View Post

In your lame comment, you mean to imply that FW800 are speedier than USB 2 drives in any truly meaningful way? Hardly.

Its advantages were always sustainable speed, stability, and low cpu overhead.  Firewire definitely has its place, even if the things that used it will most likely migrate to usb3. Usb3 has fewer issues than 2.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Good. The rumor mill has done its job of hurting Apple by repeating false promises.

If people stopped taking them seriously, it wouldn't be as big of a deal. I laugh when I read how many people sold their macbook air or pros based solely on a redesign rumor. 

Quote:

These half expected and half disappointing specs historically mean that it is legit. Those that try to pull a fast on over on the Internet tend to up all the specs to levels that are so good that we want to believe them. Giving "meh" specs goes against their entire reasoning for creating the fake.

This is not a flagship machine. This may not even be a MacBook Pro or one that you can buy outside the education market.

I'm more interested in what how their discrete gpu models look. I don't believe the thinner rumor given how hot Ivy Bridge is running.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bugsnw View Post

Yes..we need more execuspeak right? I think you're reading into this job requirements way too much.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That's not his business nor his place. Cook is a master of logistics and business deals. That is how he'll leave his mark.

A newly redesigned computer of any type is Ive leaving his mark. A great new iOS 6 is Forstall leaving his mark. 

Tim shouldn't become the new Steve.

I think the culture is really important to what they make. It seems pointless just focusing on executives.

• Reply 96 of 131
    msimpsonmsimpson Posts: 452member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tkulla View Post

I call BS on this one. The 13" Air has a resolution of 1440x900 so I don't see them keeping a lower resolution for the Pro with this refresh. At the very least it will jump to the same pixel count.

You don't know what they are pricing this model at.  It could be a low-end model designed to meet what a huge market of consumers are looking for.  Many of the parts in this model may not be the latest, thin, hottest ones out there, but they are going to be much easier and cheaper for Apple to obtain a steady supply of.  

Apple has already offered different screen options in the 15" model and that is the market segment that is more likely to pay extra for a retina display and SSDs.  That is where  you are more likely to see a retina screen option.  They might even offer a 13" MacBook Pro as an option, but I bet the low-end 15" MBP's don't come with a retina display.  There are a lot consumers who don't want to pay extra for a retina display.

It seems like most posters here think in terms of "Apple should make a machine that exactly meets my idea of what a laptop should have"  and of course they want it cheaper than what Apple will price it for.  

Apple is thinking of terms of "what models of laptops can we sell millions of units at a good profit margin".  The same goes for iPhones and iPad.  With Macs, Apple can offer more customized options and enhancements, but in the end they want to sell millions of them.

Apple Computer sold computers to a small segment of that market, Apple Inc. is in the consumer electronics business and sells millions of units of music players, smart phones, tablets and computers.

• Reply 97 of 131
    msimpsonmsimpson Posts: 452member

Quote:

Originally Posted by webmail View Post

It's 100% fake. As a former Apple employee I can assure you of this. ALL real Apple packaging has a 'secret' mark which this one lacks. You can tell it's copy and pasted from another packaging images because the mark I'm referring to is sliced.

So it's printed off another packaging, then faked.

100% Fake. 

Gonna save this message so we can come back to it later after next week's announcement, and then we can see what is 100% fake.

• Reply 98 of 131

Quote:

Originally Posted by msimpson View Post

Gonna save this message so we can come back to it later after next week's announcement, and then we can see what is 100% fake.

Speculation on future Apple products right before an announcement never ceases to be a source of levity.  It's fake.  No it's real.  No it's a fake.  No, It's real.  No, it's a fake, I'm a former Apple employee.  No, It's real, i wasn't a former Apple employee.   Hahaha.

Everyone seems to be assuming it is a new MacBookPro.  What happens if Apple abandons the MacBook/MacBookPro moniker and calls it something completely different?  Then what?

• Reply 99 of 131

Whomever is behind this is probably laughing their heads off, knowing it is a fake or not.

• Reply 100 of 131

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Whomever is behind this is probably laughing their heads off, knowing it is a fake or not.

I imagine that's the case with every leaked image, real or fake. Only its leaker is going to know the truth, and as the liars often get off scot free and are listened to later, they'll both laugh all the way to the bank as we discuss.

The specs all seem real to me. Most of them. I just hope there's no optical drive, or that this is an Education-only model. My stars, I want the optical drive gone…