Purported 13" MacBook Pro specs show USB 3.0, Ivy Bridge, no Retina display

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 131
    amtiamti Posts: 19member

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

Personally, I'd be interested in affordable MacBook with aluminium unibody and decent IPS screen, even in 1280x. In fact, I'd rather have 1280 IPS than 1980 TFT on 13" unit, for the same price.

Only thing stopping me from buying a current model 13" MBP is the screen res. After comparing the MBP and Air screens side by side, the higher res of the Air is clearly a big plus. 1440 x 900 is about right as the base res for a 13.3" screen.

I would be very happy if they went to a 1440 x 900 IPS screen for the 13" MBP. That would be a sweet little unit.

Unfortunately it would be serious competition for the 13" Air, so I can't see Apple doing it.

• Reply 122 of 131
    bizzlebizzle Posts: 66member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Ah, so no mention of Turbo Boost and mention of the RAM for the integrated GPU. Thanks!

No problem. I just double checked my roommates and he bought his about two weeks ago. It looks exactly the same as mine so there's not been a silent update to the sticker.

I just recently sold my early 2011 i7 but I can't remember if that sticker mentioned TurboBoost. It might have because at the time I *think* the i5's didn't have TurboBoost or at least non-Apple i5's did not. When I bought this MBP I googled around to make sure it had it because I didn't want to upgrade to the i7 if I didn't feel I had to.

• Reply 123 of 131
    hudson1hudson1 Posts: 800member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Looks right to me. That's a 16:10 aspect ratio and 196 PPI. I think what you're assuming is that it there needs to be exactly double the resolution like with the iPhone and iPad so that one pixel can be represented by 4 pixels, but that law doesn't carry over to Mac OS X in the same way because it's a windowed OS. The structure and design is completely different because the primary input method is completely different. Mac OS has always fluctuated the PPI of the display (within reason) based on the size and tech.

Further, this alleged second model has exactly 4x the pixel count as the first one which, if anything, adds to the credibility of both (much like iPad 2 and new iPad).

• Reply 124 of 131
    Yes really, did you ever do any kind of video editing
  • Reply 125 of 131
    gyorpbgyorpb Posts: 93member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crunch View Post

In your lame comment, you mean to imply that FW800 are speedier than USB 2 drives in any truly meaningful way? Hardly.

No, I don't. It is, however.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vandil View Post

Firewire port: for people with PowerMac G4/G5 era equipment and hardware from Apple and third parties like LaCie.

No one makes Firewire devices any more.  They should replace the Firewire 800 jack with an additional USB port and allow third party companies to make a thunderbolt-connected hub with Firewire ports (heck, even throw in a Firewire 400 port in the hub for the real technical dinosaur equipment).

Come on, Apple, move on to USB 3.0.

To this and the quote before: there's mor eto FW than drives. Have you any idea about the amount of (professional) video and audio hardware that is out there that connects to Macs through FireWire? None of those users will upgrade their machines if there are no FireWire ports, or at least reasonable options to connect FireWire devices to Thunderbolt. Thunderbolt holds huge promise in this field, but so far, it is slow to gain traction. So FireWire is here to stay for another year or so.

Quote:

What about this one? Thoughts?

macbook-pro-2012-9to5mac-slim.jpg

Delicious. Now make me a 17" model, Apple!

.tsooJ

• Reply 126 of 131
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by gyorpb View Post

Delicious. Now make me a 17" model, Apple!

Maybe the rumors say this one is $3,000 because there isn't a 17" anymore.

If so, Apple, that's an idiotic decision.

• Reply 127 of 131
    detmuddetmud Posts: 1member

Quote:

What about this one? Thoughts?

macbook-pro-2012-9to5mac-slim.jpg

Mhh well Ethernet for real ? i mean have u ever take a look on your macbook how less space there is for ethernet, and now its smaller an has ethernet ? ... well i cant believe this

• Reply 128 of 131
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by detmud View Post

Mhh well Ethernet for real ? i mean have u ever take a look on your macbook how less space there is for ethernet, and now its smaller an has ethernet ? ... well i cant believe this

You're claiming that a smaller computer can't have Ethernet. 

Yes, I've looked at the modern MacBook family, and there's a fair bit of space that can be shaved off while retaining Ethernet.

Have you looked at them?

features_ports_17inch20110224.jpg#gallery-ports-17inch

• Reply 129 of 131
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

You're claiming that a smaller computer can't have Ethernet. 

Yes, I've looked at the modern MacBook family, and there's a fair bit of space that can be shaved off while retaining Ethernet.

Have you looked at them?

I wonder how much thinner they could go while maintaining structural integrity there. The current aluminum shells are a fairly thin skin. Anyway I hope they don't do anything that results in even higher fan speeds. 

• Reply 130 of 131
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member

wow still low rez and the macbook pro is "still rocking' the pager" (superdrive).

• Reply 131 of 131
    gyorpbgyorpb Posts: 93member

Quote:

Originally Posted by detmud View Post

Ethernet is a must for a professional laptop. Still too many professional environments where WiFi is not an option due to security concerns.

Expect to see Apple push for a new (smaller) Ethernet port standard sooner than seeing them drop the port altogether.

.tsooJ