Apple TV 5.0.2 software update rolls out

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple on Tuesday updated its Apple TV software to version 5.0.2 for second and third generation units.

The Apple TV Software Update, released as build 9B830, brings unknown fixes to both the second and third generation set-top media streamers. Apple's support web page has yet to divulge the contents of the update, but a more detailed description should be posted in the near future.

The quick download showed no visible changes to the UI or content meaning that the update may be a fix for backend performance issues or preparation for as-yet unreleased features set to be announced at WWDC next week.

To install the new 5.0.2 version on your Apple TV, navigate to the "Update Software" menu option under Settings > General.
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 23
    beckmanbeckman Posts: 4member


    I hope this update is for the WWDC announcement of Apple TV SDK!

  • Reply 2 of 23
    ohcomeonohcomeon Posts: 30member


    I hope the update sorts out the issue of the ATV losing iTunes over the Home Sharing.

  • Reply 3 of 23


    Feels snappier.


     


     


     


     


    ......


     


     


     


     


    I kid.

  • Reply 4 of 23
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member


    I just hope they allow you to move the icons around.  It's a somewhat trivial thing, but the only thing I use the Apple TV for is Netflix and looking at my Photos, so I'd like to be able to put them at the top.

  • Reply 5 of 23
    jonyojonyo Posts: 115member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Ohcomeon View Post


    I hope the update sorts out the issue of the ATV losing iTunes over the Home Sharing.



     


    Yeah, I've been having this problem too, where it sees that the itunes library is there when you're on the main screen, but won't connect when you try to select it, and just hangs there until I hit the menu button to back out. Then I to go to the computer, quit itunes and relauch it and it works again. I'm going to check out the update and see if it fixes the issue.

  • Reply 6 of 23

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Ohcomeon View Post


    I hope the update sorts out the issue of the ATV losing iTunes over the Home Sharing.



    That would be nice! Very frustrating having to Screenshare into the server and turn off/on Home Sharing.


     


    Edit: Doesn't appear to have resolved it. My guess is this will require a fix on the iTunes side, not Apple TV.

  • Reply 7 of 23
    tawilsontawilson Posts: 484member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by beckman View Post


    I hope this update is for the WWDC announcement of Apple TV SDK!



    Not being funny, but something as BIG as an SDK would be something more than a MINOR point release.

  • Reply 8 of 23
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jonyo View Post


     


    Yeah, I've been having this problem too, where it sees that the itunes library is there when you're on the main screen, but won't connect when you try to select it, and just hangs there until I hit the menu button to back out. Then I to go to the computer, quit itunes and relauch it and it works again. I'm going to check out the update and see if it fixes the issue.



     


    That issue seemed to go away for me with the last update.

  • Reply 9 of 23

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Ohcomeon View Post


    I hope the update sorts out the issue of the ATV losing iTunes over the Home Sharing.



     


    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jonyo View Post


     


    Yeah, I've been having this problem too, where it sees that the itunes library is there when you're on the main screen, but won't connect when you try to select it, and just hangs there until I hit the menu button to back out. Then I to go to the computer, quit itunes and relauch it and it works again. I'm going to check out the update and see if it fixes the issue.



     


    Quote:

    Originally Posted by TheUnfetteredMind View Post


    That would be nice! Very frustrating having to Screenshare into the server and turn off/on Home Sharing.


     


    Edit: Doesn't appear to have resolved it. My guess is this will require a fix on the iTunes side, not Apple TV.



     


    Don't know if it will help you or not.  I used to have this issue fairly often, pretty frustrating.  I have 3 AppleTVs throughout the house and would have this happen at least once a week.  It went away for me when I decided to assign static IPs to all of the AppleTVs and my iMac that was hosting the content.  Ever since I gave all devices a static IP, I have not had this happen one time (at least 6 months now).  Your mileage may vary...

  • Reply 10 of 23

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by academytim View Post


    Don't know if it will help you or not.  I used to have this issue fairly often, pretty frustrating.  I have 3 AppleTVs throughout the house and would have this happen at least once a week.  It went away for me when I decided to assign static IPs to all of the AppleTVs and my iMac that was hosting the content.  Ever since I gave all devices a static IP, I have not had this happen one time (at least 6 months now).  Your mileage may vary...



    Server already has a static, I'll have to check the Apple TV. If not, I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the suggestion!

  • Reply 11 of 23
    gabe1kgabe1k Posts: 8member


    I wonder if this fixes the issue I'm having where the Apple TV can't connect through the ethernet and continues to think the ethernet is plugged in even when it's not.

  • Reply 12 of 23
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 4,754member


    I just wish they'd make it so the damn thing doesn't turn on all by itself. Thats so annoying to see it turn on by itself. Makes me wonder why its doing so. 


     


    I'm guessing this is just for support of something they're going to announce/release at WWDC and nothing more. 

  • Reply 13 of 23
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 18,951member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by macxpress View Post


    I just wish they'd make it so the damn thing doesn't turn on all by itself. Thats so annoying to see it turn on by itself. Makes me wonder why its doing so. 



    Funny you should say that. I thought mine was misbehaving.......


     


    Very annoying, indeed.

  • Reply 14 of 23
    jonyojonyo Posts: 115member
    That would be nice! Very frustrating having to Screenshare into the server and turn off/on Home Sharing.

    Edit: Doesn't appear to have resolved it. My guess is this will require a fix on the iTunes side, not Apple TV.

    Doesn't appear to have fixed it for me either. Bummer.
  • Reply 15 of 23
    mysticmystic Posts: 514member


    This issue went away for me if I turn off the firewall. 

  • Reply 16 of 23
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 4,754member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post


    Funny you should say that. I thought mine was misbehaving.......


     


    Very annoying, indeed.



    Oh no...this is a very common question people ask. Just look in the Apple support discussions for the AppleTV. I almost think Apple is turn it on to gather information or something. 

  • Reply 17 of 23
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 911member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by macxpress View Post


    I just wish they'd make it so the damn thing doesn't turn on all by itself. Thats so annoying to see it turn on by itself. Makes me wonder why its doing so. 


     


    I'm guessing this is just for support of something they're going to announce/release at WWDC and nothing more. 



    Mine does that for a long time now.  I want to say from day one but I'm not completely sure.  It's been a year at least.  Seems like every 20 minutes to a half hour it comes on for a few seconds then shuts off.  I thought maybe it was Apple's way of saying hey watch me!

  • Reply 18 of 23
    crohnsycrohnsy Posts: 1member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by razorpit View Post


    Mine does that for a long time now.  I want to say from day one but I'm not completely sure.  It's been a year at least.  Seems like every 20 minutes to a half hour it comes on for a few seconds then shuts off.  I thought maybe it was Apple's way of saying hey watch me!



     


    I thought it was just sleep apnea..... 

  • Reply 19 of 23
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,435member
    macxpress wrote: »
    I almost think Apple is turn it on to gather information or something. 

    Good thing it doesn't have a FT camera.

    /s
  • Reply 20 of 23
    markbyrnmarkbyrn Posts: 604member


    Yes, another update!  I have an update obsession; I think I spend an hour a day making sure I have the latest update for everything.  

Sign In or Register to comment.