Insiders say Apple upgrading next-gen iPhone display to 4" with 16:9 ratio

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple is likely to increase the size of the display on its next iPhone to 4.08 inches, with a resolution of 1,136 x 640 pixels and a ratio of 16:9, according to one analyst with a strong track record.

KGI analyst Mingchi Kuo, known for having sources deep within Apple's supply chain, expects Apple to release a taller iPhone later this year that will switch from a 3.5-inch 4:3 display to a 4-inch 16:9 screen, according to a research note obtained by AppleInsider.

"We expect iPhone 5 to feature a 4.08-inch in-cell IPS panel screen with a display resolution of 1,136 x 640 and 500-nit brightness," Kuo wrote.

The analyst noted that the above specs would represent a valid compromise of Apple's values of single-handed operability, backwards compatibility with iPhone apps, battery life and an improved user experience derived from having a larger screen.

He speculated that Apple has ruled out displays above 4.3 inches because the resulting devices would be difficult to operate with one hand. His research also suggests that the there is an inflection point at 4.3-inches where larger screen sizes require "visibly larger" battery capacity.

iPhone display analysis

Citing an earlier report where he discussed Apple's rumored plans to make the next iPhone thinner, Kuo said Apple will likely keep the battery capacity of the sixth-generation iPhone at around 1,400mAh, similar to the current-generation's capacity.

Lengthening the screen without making it wider would serve more than just an ergonomic purpose. Kuo believes the unchanged width would save on app redevelopment costs because legacy apps could simply be letterboxed. The 16:9 resolution would provide more viewing space while typing in portrait mode and would more naturally display films in landscape mode. The analyst also claimed that a longer iPhone would bring the speaker close to users' ears and the receiver closer to their mouths.

iPhone display analysis

Kuo's analysis falls in line with several other similar reports that have suggested Apple may increase the height of the iPhone display without increasing the width.

The analyst estimated that the larger screen will help spur sales of the new iPhone when it arrives. He expects 65-70 million next-generation iPhone units to be sold in 2012.

Apple's next iPhone is widely expected to arrive this fall, though there is some disagreement about whether it will come in September or October. Scattered reports have suggested that Apple's next handset could make the leap to LTE, while others believe the device will sport a new design with an aluminum back.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 71
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    I don't believe it.
  • Reply 2 of 71

The iPhone 4 is already 16:9 or very close to it, while the iPad is 4:3.

• Reply 3 of 71
    h.ravh.rav Posts: 11member

If this is true, this will be a very stupid move. I fancy larger screens with the old format. I have used Samsung Galaxy S series and I have no problem using them with one hand.

• Reply 4 of 71
    nairbnairb Posts: 253member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darren Mccoy View Post

Close to it, but not exactly it. They have obviously seen the galaxy s and tab with the 16:9 ration and decided if Samsung have it we want it too.

• Reply 5 of 71
    quambquamb Posts: 143member

No thanks. At least they could narrow the top/bottom bevel rather than make the phone longer! It all sounds clumsy and un-Apple like to me.

• Reply 6 of 71
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member

Typical.

We say "bigger," they hear "longer."

I'm not watching Pirates of the Caribbean on my phone, I'm viewing websites. Wider is better, not longer.

• Reply 7 of 71
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Why the extra 176 horizontal pixels? Is it for a permanent notification bar? Otherwise apps need to be letterboxed, or re-written. The latter I don't believe will happen. And if they change the AR, could they at least make the CCD the same as the screen. Right now it's difficult to compose a picture without seeing the top of the picture as the screen cuts it off.
  • Reply 8 of 71
    michael scripmichael scrip Posts: 1,916member
    ...expects Apple to release a taller iPhone later this year that will switch from a 3.5-inch 4:3 display...
    nairb wrote: »
    Close to it, but not exactly it. They have obviously seen the galaxy s and tab with the 16:9 ration and decided if Samsung have it we want it too.

The iPhone has always been 3:2

Nothing more... nothing less...
  • Reply 9 of 71
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member

I don't find this at all plausible.  Some rumor monger seems to be trying to compensate for something.

• Reply 10 of 71
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

Oh but wait.  It's an iPhone 6.  We have it on reliable source that it will be called iPhone 6.  NOT!!!!!!!!!!!  Remember...  You know who you are.  You said the next iPhone will be called iPhone 6. Shall I copy and paste your quote?

As for the screen?  I won't believe it till I see it.  Lets say maybe Monday?

• Reply 11 of 71
    waybacmacwaybacmac Posts: 309member

A stretch iPhone 4S makes sense to me. When I think of a bigger screen (in any direction) and LTE, I think battery life. The iPhone's rectangular shape, albeit with rounded corners, seems an ideal compromise between compact size, minimalist style, and maximum internal room for the largest battery possible. I don't think Apple is going the iPhone's basic look unless there is a very, very, very good reason. One has only to look at Apple's other products to see how long they stick to one style, e.g. MacBook Pro.

• Reply 12 of 71
    velociveloci Posts: 10member

My guess would be an edge to edge screen, which fits into the current width of the phone. Anyway last year the talk was all about an edge to edge screen might happen this year lol.gif 

Anyone seen my windex for the crystal ball lol.gif.......
  • Reply 13 of 71
    john f.john f. Posts: 111member

Why all the negativity? This always happens before it comes out, then it's all OOh and Aahh afterwards.

To me it makes sense. Apple has only one form factor to please the whole crowd, the whole world of small and large people, teens and grown ups. They all have to be able to hold the phone in their hands. Same with the iPod touch. If they make it too wide, it will for the same money turn many people away saying it's too large for their hands, or too difficult to operate with one hand. Probably many more people will say this than the vocal group on the Internet that scream: I want bigger!

Samsung makes dozens of screen sizes, so let them make phones that are monsters. Plenty of monsters running around the world. For Apple it makes more sense to choose a size that will please the whole crowd, small and big at the same time.

• Reply 14 of 71

why not push in the extra pixels, and make it a 1280x720?

• Reply 15 of 71
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

Oh but wait.  It's an iPhone 6.  We have it on reliable source that it will be called iPhone 6.  NOT!!!!!!!!!!!  Remember...  You know who you are.  You said the next iPhone will be called iPhone 6. Shall I copy and paste your quote?

Nobody is forgetting that one in a hurry ;)

• Reply 16 of 71
    flash_beezyflash_beezy Posts: 239member
    First mistake was calling it the iPhone 5, lost my interest after that.
  • Reply 17 of 71
    john f.john f. Posts: 111member

Quote:

Originally Posted by supercalifragil View Post

Because then no app would run. iOS app layout are pixel precise. Android is not pixel precise, it simply rearranges elements to fit. Both systems have pro and cons. The pro on Apple is that the layout the developer makes is exactly what the user gets. Androids pro is that it can fit to any screen size. It all is about user experience in the end.

• Reply 18 of 71
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    quamb wrote: »
    No thanks. At least they could narrow the top/bottom bevel rather than make the phone longer! It all sounds clumsy and un-Apple like to me.

You need to open your mind a little bit. Making the iPhone slightly longer without adding significant width would drastically improve usability of the pocketable device. Don't get hung up on all the tweaking around aspect ratios. Instead think about how a wider screen is the best way for Apple to improve usability, especially in landscape mode.

I say this with great sincerity as I'm typing this response on my iPhone right now. The text in this edit pane is too small and the scrolling right and left a pain for editing and verification is a pain in the butt. The key here is how do you improve the users experience without turning iPhone into a huge brick, I don't know of a better solution than a wider screen.
  • Reply 19 of 71
    bestkeptsecretbestkeptsecret Posts: 4,265member

I can only guess that TallestSkill's head really exploded with the multiple references to "iPhone 5"! I'm interested in seeing the graphic he posts this time. The Morgan Freeman one from The Dark Knight was his best yet!

Ever since my commute time to work got reduced to a third of the original time, I have stopped watching movies on the iPhone. I use it mostly for music and, of course, calls. I have no opinion of the changes in the screen size, but I know that whatever the next model is, I'll be in "Shut up and take my money" mode when it is announced.

• Reply 20 of 71
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    john f. wrote: »
    Because then no app would run. iOS app layout are pixel precise. Android is not pixel precise, it simply rearranges elements to fit. Both systems have pro and cons. The pro on Apple is that the layout the developer makes is exactly what the user gets. Androids pro is that it can fit to any screen size. It all is about user experience in the end.

I don't see where that is a show-stopper, if they keep legacy software displayed at 1:1, similar to the example mock-up in the article, it would have a thin windowboxing, similar to how iPhone apps on the iPad have pillar boxing or letter boxing. New and updated apps can add a layout profile for the new resolution to use the entire screen. This is all hypothetical though, I don't know what rumors to believe so I'm not going to believe any of it yet.