Phil Schiller expected to increasingly become Apple's 'public face'

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 74
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

:D

Nice "Whose Line Is It Anyway?" reference.

Now that would be an interesting keynote. 

"And for our final game . . . It's the patent suit hoedown."

• Reply 62 of 74
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

"And for our final game . . . It's the patent suit hoedown."

Well, I designed some hardware

And, yes, I was the first

All the stuff before it just

Looks like it's the worst

Now I'm being told that

All my patents are invalid

But I just laugh because my profits

Make them all look pallid.

——————————————

We're embroiled in lawsuits

Because of our IP

Apparently they don't know the

Meaning of 'property'

It's not like we're too worried

They won't do us much haahm,

Our vengeance will be swift just like

A thermonuclear bomb

Ther-mo-nuc-lear bo~mb!

• Reply 63 of 74
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    I will be the first to admit that this is totally petty but if he is going to be the public face of Apple, he should get that witch's mole removed. It's so damned distracting. I can't watch any video of him without hearing "mole, mole" inside my head. Shades of Austin Powers!
  • Reply 64 of 74

I do think Apple should be making more use of talents like Xander Soren, Randy Ubillos and Craig Federighi, all three have poise and charm in their own way, with Phil Schiller in overall charge. Tim Cook can do the financials and wind up the keynote.

• Reply 65 of 74
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

??? He's the Veep of Marketing not Design so why would he be doing any saying 'no' of actual products or features. That's not his job. 

Shooting down which ones they use as their marketing focus, that is 100% what he would be doing. 

What do you think marketing does?

I laugh when Apple haters (I know you aren't one) focus on Apple's marketing.  Marketing isn't just about informing customers of the value of a product.  Marketing is about determining the value of a product as well.  Marketing is about knowing your customer and understanding their needs then creating a unique, powerful value proposition that is self-evident.  While most people seem to confuse Marketing and Advertising, the ideal goal of Marketing is to create a product so compelling that Advertising is not necessary.  In my opinion, "No" is the most underused word in Marketing; most companies fail miserably in creating value for their customers because they focus on specifications rather than aesthetics, ease-of-use, and reliability.

• Reply 66 of 74
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    charlituna wrote: »
    ??? He's the Veep of Marketing not Design so why would he be doing any saying 'no' of actual products or features. That's not his job. 

Shooting down which ones they use as their marketing focus, that is 100% what he would be doing. 
    I swear they rehash stuff for every one of these profiles. Business Week did one of Scott Forstall a couple years ago and he was portrayed as one of Steve's closest confidants, a mini-Steve if you will.

When Tim Cook was at D10 he was asked about who the product curator was now that Steve is gone. He didn't give a very convincing answer. He basically said its constantly shifting and not to get hung up on names. But I got the distinct impression it's not him. So it could be Ive and Schiller from an overall product perspective.
  • Reply 67 of 74
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member

You are correct it is the product that matters not the person.

• Reply 68 of 74
    andyappleandyapple Posts: 152member
    Comex. He's young, personable, deeply understanding of the OS, and completely humble. Plus he started out as a hacker just like Jobs, let him be the face of Apple future.
  • Reply 69 of 74
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    marvfox wrote: »
    You are correct it is the product that matters not the person.

So who's the product guy at Apple now? The one with the power to pull the trigger and say 'release it'. Sure doesn't sound like Cook. Is it Jony? Phil?
  • Reply 70 of 74
    winterwinter Posts: 1,238member

Obviously you need charisma and presentation but I think that goes without saying. People who attend WWDC understand technology I would think, right? Naturally you don't want a guy who drones on and on however people sitting there are going go be disappointed say if they were to find out the next Mac Pro lacked Thunderbolt and USB 3.0. That's what I mean by specs speak for themselves

If people are disappointed of course then the stock price goes down, Apple loses money, shareholders are upset, etc. etc.

To me things go hand in hand. Tallest had a funny line and once I saw the "Whose Line" reference I immediately read it again in the voice of Clive Anderson.

• Reply 71 of 74
    timgriff84timgriff84 Posts: 912member
    I think they should just find another way to release new products rather than the giant keynotes.

The problem is they were iconic to Steve jobs, and now nobody can do them as well I just find myself turning off. Which makes it sad that there putting out something that just isn't good.
  • Reply 72 of 74
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by timgriff84 View Post

The problem is they were iconic to Steve jobs, and now nobody can do them as well…

As I said in an earlier thread (oh, hey, it was this thread), I'll take that bet.

Quote:

Which makes it sad that there putting out something that just isn't good.

The… keynote or the products?

• Reply 73 of 74
    Craig Federighi - although he's stuck in Mac software engineering
  • Reply 74 of 74
    winterwinter Posts: 1,238member
    I love when Schiller does the keynotes because he announces the specs and I'm a specs freak. Yeah yeah you can't compare to Jobs but Jobs is gone. I have a ton of respect for what Jobs did though he is gone.

I said this before but the keynote was done to perfection. You have Cook announcing the sales figures blah blah blah super excited and astounded by the millions and billions of whatever and then to Schiller for the processor, SSD, graphics, all the good stuff. And you could replace it with Jony Ive or Bob Mansfeld or whoever wants to do it.

Hell they could have a celebrity with an awesome voice read it. Pay Denzel Washington enough money to announce the new Mac mini.

But anyway I especially how in Schiller's part of the keynote with the 15" retina he was using all the buzzwords. Kepler, Ivy Bridge, etc. I eat that stuff up being the geek that I am.