Apple quietly updates Mac Pro with Intel Xeon CPU [u]

1234568»

Comments

• Reply 141 of 155
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member

The "new" processors were available more than 2 years ago. Apple could have provided this update over a year ago.

Apple doesn't buy processors at single-quantity retail prices, so it used to be the Mac Pro was a good deal compared to rolling your own. But not now.

• Reply 142 of 155

It is because the Apple RAID card was a piece of crap, and didn't work properly. Just like Xserve and Final Cut server. "We can't make it work so we will abandon it"..

Apple is making a killing on these machines. What a waste of 3K.. These processors are old and outdated. 

• Reply 143 of 155
    redisonredison Posts: 19member

Hey Apple must be listening to us .....  as of 4:15pm EST today June 12 they have taken the 'New' badge off the MacPro in the online stores! ( US & CDN that is)

• Reply 144 of 155
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member

Apple has removed the "new" label from the Mac Pro image on the online store splash page.

EDIT: Pipped by Redison!

• Reply 145 of 155
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    jbrickley wrote: »
    Do yourself a favor and get a fast SSD from OWC (don't buy the 6G model as the Mac Pro can only do 3G.  Put your apps and OS on the SSD, that will speed things up.

Or better yet, buy SSD PCIe cards, the bigger the better. Get 1200MB/s. yes, capital B there. See review here.
    [=http://macperformanceguide.com/blog/2012/20120530_1-OWC-Mercury-Accelsior-960GB.html][/]
  • Reply 146 of 155
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,323moderator
    redison wrote: »
    [SIZE=18px]Hey Apple must be listening to us .....  as of 4:15pm EST today June 12 they have taken the 'New' badge off the MacPro in the online stores! ( US & CDN that is)[/SIZE]

Makes sense, they should have a different label for minor updates, price drops or new options, even a symbol like a star or something so it doesn't need translated into different languages.
  • Reply 147 of 155
    slang4artslang4art Posts: 376member

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBrickley View Post

Good grief!  The MacPro is still, two years later, faster than most PC's.  In order to get any better you have to spend a heck of a lot of money on PC Workstation class hardware.  Only a couple of Ivy Bridge Xeons are even out yet.  Most people who use Mac Pro's can't even push them hard enough to max out their capabilities.  Quit the attitude!

I have a Mac Pro (last produced model), it cost me $8k and I didn't even max it out on options.  They are not selling a lot of these machines.  Instead of fretting over this machine, I am building a rackmount cloud server instead.  Future computers will be laptops and anything that needs real power will be on the cloud server.  I just remote connect to the private cloud and kick off my rendering jobs there.  It's faster that way anyway!

Glad someone understands.

• Reply 148 of 155
    junkyard dawgjunkyard dawg Posts: 2,801member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Nothing Apple does has anything to do with the economy.

This may be your dumbest post yet.  

How much did you pay to become moderator?  Or did you get that position by winning an Apple Kool-Aid drinking contest?

• Reply 149 of 155
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Junkyard Dawg View Post

This may be your dumbest post yet.  

Would you care to offer another explanation for why they were able to post record revenue and profit every quarter during the recession without price reductions?

• Reply 150 of 155

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Sorry, you're working way too hard to polish a turd of an update. If one buys a brand-new, newly updated machine, it stands to reason that it should have the latest architectural updates.

One shouldn't need to use a precious slot for connections that should be built-in by now. Nobody is going to replace a machine for USB jacks, but it's something that has no excuse for being missing on a freshly-rev'ed high end machine.

Also, there is a lot more to Thunderbolt than RAID, take a look at AJA or Blackmagic designs for some of those products. Extra ports on the desktop can be very useful. Not all pros need special cinema grade displays, I think the Thunderbolt display serves most pros pretty well.

The boot screen is pretty important, that's how you do diagnostics and multiboot. I wonder if you're just being a poe here. Why Apple couldn't offer an updated board in the package is quite baffling in light of this alleged support.

It's not helpful to suggest they buy a Windows machine, that's not the point here anyway.

You're probably right, I was trying to polish a turd :)  I didn't mean to say that the update was anything but pathetic, only that it's not worth getting all that upset over.  Any late model Mac Pro is already at the top when it comes to workstations - yes there are a few Westmere CPU options from Intel that are faster than the ones Apple installs in the Mac Pro, but the difference in speed would barely be noticable.  I really don't believe anyone using a Mac Pro would benefit from a new model using Intel's available Xeons to an extent that warrants all the freaking out in this thread.  Yeah, this update sucked, and yes, the Mac Pro is long in the tooth, but the high end 12 core Mac Pro, and even the 6 core Mac Pro, are both kickass workstations.  And anyone with a Mac Pro built from 2009 on has the option to buy a faster Xeon and drop it in for maximum performance, at a fraction of the cost of a new Mac Pro.  I've got a 6 core 3.5 GHz Mac Pro (24GB RAM, 6870 Radeon, 256 GB Vertex 3 SSD, 6 TB HDD RAID) sitting on my desk right now, with less money in it than a new low-end Mac Pro.  Only a complete overhaul of the Mac Pro line would compell me to give up this beast.  I'll put it up to the Pepsie challenge with a Windows Xeon workstation any day.

All this talk of switching to windows?  Give me a break.  An extra 0.3 GHz on the Windows machine won't make your work any better.  Until Intel releases significantly faster Xeons (not vaporware), wanting a new Mac Pro is about d!ck waving.

• Reply 151 of 155
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    You're probably right, I was trying to polish a turd :)  I didn't mean to say that the update was anything but pathetic, only that it's not worth getting all that upset over.  Any late model Mac Pro is already at the top when it comes to workstations - yes there are a few Westmere CPU options from Intel that are faster than the ones Apple installs in the Mac Pro, but the difference in speed would barely be noticable.  I really don't believe anyone using a Mac Pro would benefit from a new model using Intel's available Xeons to an extent that warrants all the freaking out in this thread.  Yeah, this update sucked, and yes, the Mac Pro is long in the tooth, but the high end 12 core Mac Pro, and even the 6 core Mac Pro, are both kickass workstations.  And anyone with a Mac Pro built from 2009 on has the option to buy a faster Xeon and drop it in for maximum performance, at a fraction of the cost of a new Mac Pro.  I've got a 6 core 3.5 GHz Mac Pro (24GB RAM, 6870 Radeon, 256 GB Vertex 3 SSD, 6 TB HDD RAID) sitting on my desk right now, with less money in it than a new low-end Mac Pro.  Only a complete overhaul of the Mac Pro line would compell me to give up this beast.  I'll put it up to the Pepsie challenge with a Windows Xeon workstation any day.

All this talk of switching to windows?  Give me a break.  An extra 0.3 GHz on the Windows machine won't make your work any better.  Until Intel releases significantly faster Xeons (not vaporware), wanting a new Mac Pro is about d!ck waving.

With your Mac Pro, then I agree in your case, there's very little benefit for you to upgrade. But not everyone is in that position. If I was looking to upgrade my original MP, then there could be quite a lot. Or at least, I think there should have been a lot more to look forward to by now. That's part of my point. I don't update often (my Macs are 2006 and 2007 era), and I don't think it's reasonable to upgrade on every update, but if I do need to upgrade, I'd like it to be a reasonably up to date machine.
  • Reply 152 of 155

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Would you care to offer another explanation for why they were able to post record revenue and profit every quarter during the recession without price reductions?

iGadgets and laptops drive Apple's profits now, not Mac Pros and iMacs.  Why wouldn't Apple factor economic trends into the timing of revisions of slower selling products?  It would be pretty stupid if they didn't.  

• Reply 153 of 155
    allanmcallanmc Posts: 53member

Have been having a good read of your comments guys, but no amount of rant is going to do any better at this point in time as Intel quite simply hasn't bought out an Ivy bridge Zeon yet and that is what is holding everything up at the moment also for the PC world too.

Mr Cook has said Apple is going to cook up a newly designed macpro for next year with and when these new chips are set to come out, so great news Apple Pro is not dead and this meadiocre update is merly treading water.

I have been looking at the new Macbkpro and boy am I impressed, no lame developement there, they got rid of the yester-year parts and supercharged the whole design with a cracking display that is very mobile pro capable and I expect when Mountain lion hits the streets any questionable issues will be resolved therein, if this is the standard set then waiting for and speculating on a NEW MacPro is going to be interesting over the coming months.

Although top end pro renderrers do need all the speed of twin Zeon processing in the studio it does put the Macpro out of reach costwise for I'd expect just as many other semipro and home studio potential buyers again who would I'm sure jump at the chance of a single 6core Ivybridge MacProX and full size graphics cards that could come along alot sooner than the looong wait for the next gen Zeons, 

the grapevine speculates that Intel are to pack in a lot more cores on the Ivybridge processor in future... 8...16...24?

• Reply 154 of 155
    syqwestsyqwest Posts: 2member

After getting over my huge disappointment with the "new" Mac Pro offerings.  I am considering buying either one of the 2 x 2.4 6-core models or TWO of the 1 x 3.3 6-core server models using Xgrid to meet my current needs.  I plan on using it to process huge amounts of bioinformatic data and need something before 2013.  Any suggestions?  Pricing is about the same.