Google to introduce low-priced Android tablet in 'coming weeks'

Comments

• Reply 41 of 88
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Just what I was looking forward to, another low cost, bottom of the barrel tablet, made for bums and people who can't afford anything. How exciting, what a gigantic leap forward in technology. Yawn....................

• Reply 42 of 88
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member

They have shown they can give away phones in "BOGO" deals. If you give people crap for free, they will still take it.

• Reply 43 of 88
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member

They have shown they can give away phones in "BOGO" deals. If you give people crap for free, they will still take it.

• Reply 44 of 88
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

Low cost mean stripped down or subsidized somehow or both. I am figuring it has minimal memory since that is significant cost driver as well as the display, and google would rather you put all your content and such in the cloud, and they will stream ads to you day in and day out kind of like the kindle does.

What everyone has to remember Google makes all their money on ads not selling hardware, what every they do it will be gears towards and ad platform or increase the ability to collect information about you.

• Reply 45 of 88
    fredaroonyfredaroony Posts: 619member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Copy copy copy…

I think you are right! This Samsung device from 2006 looks just like a iPad.

samsung-ipad-photo-frame.jpeg

• Reply 46 of 88
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daekwan View Post

Heavily discounted sales is the reason why Android succeeds in the phone market.  And why it fails in the tablet market.

I believe you are somewhat mistaken. The reason Android succeeds (so far) in the phone market is that carriers push it like mad, a) because it costs them less, and b) most importantly, because they control the "platform" that they are selling. It's compelling for carriers, and a handful of misguided, self-described geeks, but simply foisted on most of the rest of Android handset buyers.

The only one of those factors that is relevant in the tablet market is the "geeks" who represent minuscule numbers of buyers, and thus failure.

• Reply 47 of 88
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The report also said that Google has "accelerated plans" to launch a competitor to Apple's voice-driven personal assistant, Siri, currently found on the iPhone 4S and coming to the third-generation iPad with the launch of iOS 6. Further details on Google's Siri competitor were not given.

I wonder why they would be doing this, according to many fandroids, Siri is just something Android has done for years.

• Reply 48 of 88

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dlux View Post

Wait- so what is Motorola? Chopped liver?

Google's patent troll division, FRAND abuse branch.

• Reply 49 of 88

Quote:

Originally Posted by cronked View Post

In the process they will be canibalizing sales of their hardware partners.  It is everyone for themselves at this point.  If you don't own an OS, you are screwed.  Google has really done a 180 since their "do no evil" days.

A 180 as in Linda Blair in "The Exorcist".

• Reply 50 of 88

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerrySwitched26 View Post

Does it make any sense to point out that Google's OS, despite not being "compelling", outsells iOS more than 2:1 in the phone market?

$69.

Our cheapest Android handset, outright with a PAYG SIM.

About as crap as a $200 tablet.

That's Android.

• Reply 51 of 88

Quote:

Originally Posted by fredaroony View Post

I think you are right! This Samsung device from 2006 looks just like a iPad.

samsung-ipad-photo-frame.jpeg

I never noticed the BEIGE PLASTIC TRIM around the edge of an iPad and what does the back of that thing look like?

More thick beige plastic with buttons and a stand.

• Reply 52 of 88
    fredaroonyfredaroony Posts: 619member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

I never noticed the BEIGE PLASTIC TRIM around the edge of an iPad and what does the back of that thing look like?

More thick beige plastic with buttons and a stand.

You saying this does not resemble an iPad?

• Reply 53 of 88
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member

For that price it's not gonna be good or worth buying for anyone who is even remotely interested in technology.

Might be ok for your cats to play games on, or 3 year olds or perhaps grandparents but that's all.

• Reply 54 of 88
    seanie248seanie248 Posts: 180member

Quote:

Does it make any sense to point out that Google's OS, despite not being "compelling", outsells iOS more than 2:1 in the phone market?

I am sure you mean that the hardware manufacturers devices "sell" , and COLLECTIVELY, it might be 2:1 . Google dont really make anything from the hardware sales of others.

As to whether Android outsells, that a whole different matter considering it is a 'free' OS. 

Back to the old saying of Turnover is Vanity, Profit is Sanity.

Let them throw as much of it out there as they want, my bet is on the ones making more money with less.

• Reply 55 of 88
    inkswampinkswamp Posts: 337member

Quote:

Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

If you want a low cost tablet...  grab a refurbished iPad 2 from Apple.

Seems like the logical move, doesn't it? But you have to remember there are users out there who appear to be pathologically afraid of owing anything made by Apple or just weirdly self-conscious of looking like a "joiner." I suppose someone has to cater to those guys. 

• Reply 56 of 88
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member

Quote:

Originally Posted by fredaroony View Post

You saying this does not resemble an iPad?

No, it does not.

An idiot in a hurry would not make a mistake between an iPad and that unless you put it a very long way away in a very dark room where it would also be hard to tell the difference between that and a block of painted black wood. 

• Reply 57 of 88

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

True... but a lot of people buy a phone because it's a phone. They don't really care what operating system it has on it.

I know tons of people with Android phones... and most of them have their phones looking exactly like the day they bought it.

They call, text and Facebook. That's it. They're not customizing the interface and installing ROMs.

So what does it mean when Android is outselling iOS? Is Android somehow "better" because it outsells the iPhone?

I don't think that market share always corresponds with "better".  Lots  of times, the "better" choice loses out for whatever reason.  Generally, the two are correlated, but far from always.

• Reply 58 of 88

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

That doesn't mean it's compelling. That is, unless you have some evidence that people are buying Android phones because of compelling features in the OS.

I'm not saying that it is compelling.  Nearly the opposite, but not really.  Other factors are in play which account for what is happening.  I guess I'm saying that "compelling" doesn't seem to enter into the equation.

• Reply 59 of 88
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member

Quote:

This is a gadget-lover's dream!

Sorry to disappoint you, but most people here couldn't care less.

• Reply 60 of 88
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member

Quote:

You don't have any actually sales numbers to back this up. In any event, most of those sales are probably in China and India.

And, Google makes next-to-nothing on Android. Pathetic.