Orbitz displaying higher-priced hotels to Macs versus PCs

Comments

• Reply 21 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Cardboard boxes are open, which is much better than a hotel where they have locks on the room doors.

I see what you did there... class

Really suit them perfectly, non-lockdown open platform. Brill. Apple, PC/MS, Linux/Android. Expense high --> low
  • Reply 22 of 79
    jakebjakeb Posts: 563member

I don't know if this is that outrageous. They're not showing different prices to different people, they just know that OS X users tend to go for nicer hotels anyhow, so they're ranking those higher on the initial sort. 

• Reply 23 of 79
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    jakeb wrote: »
    …they just know that OS X users tend to go for nicer hotels anyhow, so they're ranking those higher on the initial sort. 

What part of "not showing different prices to different people" does that fall under? Because I don't think it's the part where people using OS X are different people from people using Windows.

I think it's the part where that's not the case at all and they need sued over this.
  • Reply 24 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jakeb View Post

I don't know if this is that outrageous. They're not showing different prices to different people, they just know that OS X users tend to go for nicer hotels anyhow, so they're ranking those higher on the initial sort. 

I think you're wrong. They are showing different results to different people (OS X/PC). What they are not doing is giving different price for the same room based on the OS. I mean I always make sure the results are sorted when performing a search so if that is what they are doing then they are not giving me a fair result. Nevermind, I don't use their website anyway..
  • Reply 25 of 79
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    WTH is wrong with people? There is no price gouging of Mac users for the same service? If [I]anyone[/I] has a case it's Windows users for being called cheap bastards and even that's a weak argument.

edit: Pipped by others with the Android joke.
  • Reply 26 of 79
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member

That's wrong on so many levels.  Thankfully I've never used Orbitz and now I will ensure that I never do.  Expedia, Hotwire (same company actually), Travelocity, Kayak, etc will be my sites.  Too many to even care about Orbitz.

• Reply 27 of 79
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Makes perfect sense to me. Generally speaking, Mac users are wealthier, brighter, more successful, better educated, more informed and get hotter women than say Android users, just as an example. People who want the best and those who truly appreciate tech buys Apple.

If I ran a e-commerce website, I wouldn't even allow Android users to access it, as it would be a waste of time and resources to let all sorts of riff raff and street bums with no money from accessing my site and using up precious data. I would have to assume that they were not truly looking to rent a hotel room, and that they were actually looking to purchase a roach motel, and I would redirect them to the appropriate site.

You forgot better in bed, as well.

You don't get awesome sexual capabilities when you're too busy customising the widgets on your phone...

(>_<)

• Reply 28 of 79
    doh123doh123 Posts: 323member

those poor cheap Windows uers hardly ever pay anything but the rock bottom possible, so thats all they can show them... then hope they make a sale.

• Reply 29 of 79
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

I think that some people are understanding the article wrong. I don't see this as a big deal at all.

The site is not charging Mac users more money for the same room. The price for a particular room is identical, no matter which platform you are on.

The site is merely showing Mac users higher class hotel rooms, since Mac users choose higher class hotel rooms, that is a fact. Even if somebody is on a Mac, they can sort by price and choose the cheapest hotel room if they so please. Why waste a person's time by showing them low class products and services that are below what they are looking for? 

• Reply 30 of 79
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

You forgot better in bed, as well.

(>_<)

I thought that went without saying, so I didn't bother to mention it. :)

• Reply 31 of 79
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Apple || wrote: »
    I thought that went without saying, so I didn't bother to mention it.

And bigger penises, which is why we have nothing to prove with huge phones that fill up our pants.
  • Reply 32 of 79

This is proof that cookies and MAC addresses along with other identifying information can be used to funnel people about on the internet. It also poses a danger when governments decide to utilize this data for their purposes.

The computer manufacturers and browser manufacturers should offer some type of way to be totally anonymous. Even though some browsers allow private browsing they don't block web beacons and other things from things like Adobe's Flash tracking data.

There is a way to be sort of anonymous on the web but it is a bit inconvenient. Visit this site to learn how it is done using The Tor Network with live CDs or USB sticks; https://tails.boum.org/ .

Privacy and anonymity are important to everybody even when they think they have nothing to hide.

• Reply 33 of 79

Anyone who's foolish enough to pay $2200 for a 15" MBP that only has a 250gb HDD, which doesn't allow any diy hardware upgrading, deserves to be taken advantage of. Even the elitest of the elite take pride in getting a deal but for some reason the new breed of Apple users think it makes them appear better than most of society when they fail to budget their disposable cash.

• Reply 34 of 79
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Anyone who's foolish enough to pay $2200 for a 15" MBP that only has a 250gb HDD, which doesn't allow any diy hardware upgrading, deserves to be taken advantage of. Even the elitest of the elite take pride in getting a deal but for some reason the new breed of Apple users think it makes them appear better than most of society when they fail to budget their disposable cash.

Translation: "Apple. I hate them because I'm worried about your budget."

Now we've heard it all...
  • Reply 35 of 79
    tribalogicaltribalogical Posts: 1,182member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Herrinton View Post

Josh,

You wrote "Travel booking website Orbitz has revealed that it shows Mac users more-expensive hotel options."

Did you mean to write "Travel booking website Orbitz has revealed that it shows Mac users choose more-expensive hotel options"?

-Mike Herrinton

It's clear from the rest of the article that Orbitz shows a differently ordered set of results to Mac users. They specifically justify this because their data shows that Mac users tend to choose higher priced options.

• Reply 36 of 79
    philipmphilipm Posts: 240member

I've never used that site. I like tripadvisor mainly for reviews by real people who've used the services. Finding the best price is easy: search for "best price" and whatever else defines what you want to do, and see what the googles turn up.

If they really are doing this, in any case, they are being idiotic. They are confusing a tendency to appreciate better value despite a higher price with a penchant for over-paying.

I don't buy Macs because they are more expensive. I buy them because they are better value. They may cost more up front but they last longer than comparable PCs and cause me less frustration and problems fixing viruses etc. When I look for accommodation I apply the same principle. I sort on price then check the reviews. I seldom get the cheapest but if the cheapest has good reviews, I take it. If a Windows or Android device could offer me the same reliability and lack of frustration as a Mac, I would consider it. I use Linux in my research not because it's cheaper (it's not: I usually run it on a PC that had Windows installed before) but because it delivers better value for what I do than Windows (and for some things, better value than a Mac).

• Reply 37 of 79
    tribalogicaltribalogical Posts: 1,182member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lancelot9201 View Post

250gb *SSD*, not HDD… That's a world (and a few hundred $$) of difference there. Also take into account a Retina Display… and quite a few other substantial 'leading edge' technologies. It's light and thin while remaining a 'pro-level' laptop performance-wise. And, when did I last need any DIY hardware upgrading on a laptop… hmmm, let me think… OK, never?

I'm not seeing "foolishness" in paying $2,200 for all that.

And you're wrong, I don't believe that owning this machine makes me better than anyone else…  However I do know that owning top-of-the-line Macs has helped ME to be more productive than when I owned Windows PCs. I know this from first-hand experience.

Finally, I cannot agree that anyone "foolish" EVER "deserves" to be taken advantage of. I'm completely against that ethic entirely. No-one EVER "deserves" to be cheated or taken advantage of, simply for not being "clever"… in fact, the opposite is true. Foolish, less than clever people should be cared about and protected by the rest of us from potential predators...

//rant

• Reply 38 of 79
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

It's Siri. She won't settle for anything less than 4 star.

• Reply 39 of 79
    argonautargonaut Posts: 130member

Quote:

Wai Gen Yee, Orbitz's chief scientist

wtf does a travel booking company (albeit with a website) need a 'chief scientist' for ???  lol

• Reply 40 of 79
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    malax wrote: »
    Chillax people.  Their history show that Mac users don't elect to stay at the flea-bag motels, so by default they show the nicer properties.  If you want to see the cheaper ones, you can find them.  No price discrimination, just giving people what they want.  

Exactly. I don't see why anyone would get upset.

It's no different than eBay showing you 'daily deals' or other featured items based on your browsing history. You still have access to all of eBay regardless of what shows up in your featured items. Same thing on Orbitz.
    What part of "not showing different prices to different people" does that fall under? Because I don't think it's the part where people using OS X are different people from people using Windows.
    I think it's the part where that's not the case at all and they need sued over this.

I think it's the part where you don't understand what's going on. Let's say that you're searching for a hotel in Chicago. Regardless of which computer you're using, the search produces the same number of hotels and the same price for each hotel. There's no discrimination.

Orbitz DOES, however, list different hotels near the top of the list if you sort by 'best picks'. If you search by price, there's no difference.

You're getting your panties in a wad over nothing.

OK. All you have to do is show me a 15" laptop with comparable display, 250 GB SSD, and weighing under 5 pounds that costs less than $2200 to prove your point.

Of course, if you don't want a state of the art machine, you're free to buy the cheaper MBP with a conventional hard disk and display for hundreds of dollars less. Your choice.