Orbitz displaying higher-priced hotels to Macs versus PCs

Comments

• Reply 41 of 79
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member

Sounds like a fair, ethical, smart way of taking advantage of user data without violating privacy.

• Reply 42 of 79
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    "Apple wrote:
    [" url="/t/150905/orbitz-displaying-higher-priced-hotels-to-macs-versus-pcs#post_2134333"]Makes perfect sense to me. Generally speaking, Mac users are wealthier, brighter, more successful, better educated, more informed and get hotter women than say Android users, just as an example. People who want the best and those who truly appreciate tech buys Apple.

If I ran a e-commerce website, I wouldn't even allow Android users to access it, as it would be a waste of time and resources to let all sorts of riff raff and street bums with no money from accessing my site and using up precious data. I would have to assume that they were not truly looking to rent a hotel room, and that they were actually looking to purchase a roach motel, and I would redirect them to the appropriate site.

Its best that the only thing you're good at running is your mouth.
  • Reply 43 of 79
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    And bigger penises, which is why we have nothing to prove with huge phones that fill up our pants.

So you admit being a big dick? That's the first step, 11 more to go. Lol
  • Reply 44 of 79
    applezillaapplezilla Posts: 941member

'if you visit from a linux machine orbitz automatically narrows your search to kaczynski-style cabins'

• Reply 45 of 79
    bill42bill42 Posts: 131member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Makes perfect sense to me. Generally speaking, Mac users are wealthier, brighter, more successful, better educated, more informed and get hotter women than say Android users, just as an example. People who want the best and those who truly appreciate tech buys Apple.

If I ran a e-commerce website, I wouldn't even allow Android users to access it, as it would be a waste of time and resources to let all sorts of riff raff and street bums with no money from accessing my site and using up precious data. I would have to assume that they were not truly looking to rent a hotel room, and that they were actually looking to purchase a roach motel, and I would redirect them to the appropriate site.

Totally true. Hardware profiling. Android users can't even comprehend the existence of my super hot wife.

• Reply 46 of 79

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

You forgot better in bed, as well.

You don't get awesome sexual capabilities when you're too busy customising the widgets on your phone...

(>_<)

What are you talking about? I have a Kama Sutra widget on my phone so when I forget what I'm doing I can look at my home screen and have all I need to know displayed in front of me. I don't have to waste time opening an App like the iPhone users do.

/S

• Reply 47 of 79
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    What are you talking about? I have a Kama Sutra widget on my phone so when I forget what I'm doing I can look at my home screen and have all I need to know displayed in front of me. I don't have to waste time opening an App like the iPhone users do.

/S

Mac users get laid often enough that they don't have to consult the manual to refresh their memory every time.
  • Reply 48 of 79

User agent spoofing anyone?

• Reply 49 of 79
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post

User agent spoofing anyone?

Are you certain?

• Reply 50 of 79
    neo42neo42 Posts: 287member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Makes perfect sense to me. Generally speaking, Mac users are wealthier, brighter, more successful, better educated, more informed and get hotter women than say Android users, just as an example. People who want the best and those who truly appreciate tech buys Apple.

I'm guessing you don't run much of anything considering that you would shut out 50% of your customer base because they don't fap all over Apple gear.  Get a grip.

• Reply 51 of 79
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    anonymouse wrote: »
    Are you certain?
    This can be easily checked on any Mac or WinPC.
  • Reply 52 of 79

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

This can be easily checked on any Mac or WinPC.

I thought he might not be, on principle.

• Reply 53 of 79

I think that the correct headline should be: "Windows and Android Users Shown Cheap Hotels by Orbitz."

• Reply 54 of 79
    oneaburnsoneaburns Posts: 354member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

What part of "not showing different prices to different people" does that fall under? Because I don't think it's the part where people using OS X are different people from people using Windows.

I think it's the part where that's not the case at all and they need sued over this.

This type of thinking is why everything costs so much in the first place.  I love America but it is overly litigious.  Orbitz is a service we can choose to use or not use.  We don't have a "right" to expect they show the same hotels to everybody. As long as the same hotels are the same prices then no one is being duped or taken advantage of.  They have data supporting the fact that OSX users tend to book higher starred hotels.  The rational thing to do then is show them those first in their search results.  If the prices seem too high then the user can adjust the price range.  Where are anyone's rights being violated there?   If I'm searching for a new car and have been searching for BMW's and Mercedes and decide to type car, should I get upset that the first result is not the same as the person who's been searching for economy cars?

• Reply 55 of 79
    oneaburnsoneaburns Posts: 354member

Quote:

Originally Posted by malax View Post

Chillax people.  Their history show that Mac users don't elect to stay at the flea-bag motels, so by default they show the nicer properties.  If you want to see the cheaper ones, you can find them.  No price discrimination, just giving people what they want.  

Stop being rational.  Don't you know that's not allowed around here? ;)

• Reply 56 of 79
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    oneaburns wrote: »
    We don't have a "right" to expect they show the same hotels to everybody.

Of course we do.
  • Reply 57 of 79
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

It is a matter of which side of the fence you are on. Instead of Mac users being 40% more likely to choose a higher rated hotel you could just as easily say Windows users are 60% more likely to choose a lower rated hotel. If you only want to see the lowest price hotels, book online using Ubuntu.

• Reply 58 of 79
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    mstone wrote: »
    If you only want to see the lowest price hotels, book online using Ubuntu.

If you want to custom build your hotel, down to the bathroom fixtures, use Ubuntu. :lol:
  • Reply 59 of 79

Quote:

Originally Posted by oneaburns View Post

This type of thinking is why everything costs so much in the first place.  I love America but it is overly litigious.

So many myths, so little time. I challenge you to present any evidence whatsoever that shows that the cost of anything is significantly impacted by any litigation. And you can forget about health care and malpractice insurance, because the answer there is unequivocally no, it is not affected by litigation expenses. (In fact, in those instances, it's established that price increases are, historically, largely driven by the need of insurance companies to recoup losses from bad investments in financial markets.)

• Reply 60 of 79
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lancelot9201 View Post

Anyone who's foolish enough to pay $2200 for a 15" MBP that only has a 250gb HDD, which doesn't allow any diy hardware upgrading, deserves to be taken advantage of. Even the elitest of the elite take pride in getting a deal but for some reason the new breed of Apple users think it makes them appear better than most of society when they fail to budget their disposable cash.

I'm sorry but this post is just plain stupid. People who think everyone is capable building a better laptop than an army of engineers (many who have dedicated their lives to hardware) are crazy. Your needs/wants are not the same as everyone else's.