Google, Asus expected to unveil $199 tablet this week at I/O conference

Comments

• Reply 21 of 58
    larryalarrya Posts: 606member

Quote:

...What's that old quote commonly attributed to P.T. Barnum? "Nobody ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public." Sounds like Barnum knew a few Android & Windows users.

It was H.L. Mencken - "Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public."

• Reply 22 of 58
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The tablet market appears set for a three-way showdown between Apple, Google and Microsoft.

It was always going to end up like this as these 3 players have the biggest bank balances. I suspect the smartphone market will end up the same way to.

The real question is will Google and Microsoft continue to develop software for other people's hardware or will they adopt the Apple approach and start building their own kit. Given the amount of cash they have it's not beyond the bounds of possibility that they could start acquiring the smartphone/tablet manufacturers.

I would imagine the likes of Sony, Samsung and HP are feeling a little nervous right now.

• Reply 23 of 58
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Does Samsung have their own mobile OS? If not I won't be surprised if they establish something so they're not at the mercy of Google/Android.
  • Reply 24 of 58
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Does Samsung have their own mobile OS? If not I won't be surprised if they establish something so they're not at the mercy of Google/Android.

They do, it's called 'Bada', and you'll be seeing it in the near future when Google does a Microsoft on their hardware partners.

• Reply 25 of 58

The Nexus tablet is NOT an iPad competitor by any stretch. It's a Kindle Fire competitor. 

Quote:

"It's targeting Amazon. The Kindle is based on Google's platform but with its own service, so Google has to launch its own service, too," said the executive of the device.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/06/27/us-google-tablet-idUSBRE85Q00Q20120627

• Reply 26 of 58
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

And that worked so well for Amazon

It didn't actually.  All the news about the Fire being a success evaporates when you examine it closely.  

The Fire is such a bad device, that making a competitor to it in the same price range that is better would be childsplay.  I would expect this tablet to be much better than the Fire hardware-wise, but have as it's achilles heel .... Google and Android itself.  

Google Play is a joke, and if there is one thing Google is far too late to market with and bound to fail at it's becoming a multi-media giant like Apple, Sony, or even Samsung.  The Android operating system is with every single version, a piece of clunky, laggy junk that just doesn't stand up to even the modest UI achievements of iOS.  

• Reply 27 of 58
    sleepy3sleepy3 Posts: 244member

Its not meant to compete with the ipad. Diff size, diff price, diff capabilities. 

That's like saying "Ford announces new Mustang. Takes Aim at Ferrari 458"

Two completely different markets

• Reply 28 of 58
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    gtr wrote: »
    They do, it's called 'Bada', and you'll be seeing it in the near future when Google does a Microsoft on their hardware partners.
    Ooh things are just staring to get interesting.
  • Reply 29 of 58
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member

I wonder if, unlike the Surface, it will have a cell radio. if so, there is a possibility of a carrier subsidy.

Dictated from my iPad.

• Reply 30 of 58
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member
    sheff wrote: »
    Depends on how good the software is.  I think the ecosystem will continue to be a negative on Android tablets for quite some time.  Hardware matters a lot less (aside from the screen) on tablets than it did during the PC wars. 

My wife was given an Asus laptop by her mom. It is (was) a POS -- the first and worst thing was screen. Just friking awful and it got worse! The viewing angle was such that you could only see the screen about 10 degrees of a normal vector to the screen in any direction. For a laptop that spent most of its life sitting on a destop (with one of those fan arrays under it cause it would over heat and then flake out) it took less than 4 months before the display start acting crazy -- a combo of the flex connection from mo board to display and heat. Had to ship it in and it was out of warranty (yeah 90 days only) and pay for a repair that was only warranted of a month and after about 3 months problems again. It feels far less comforting than a laptop made out of aluminum and literally will twist slightly from one corner to the other if you don't pick it up by the center and support it. It weighs a ton yet can't muster more than 1.5 hrs on a full charge. (BTW: It just celebrated its 2 yr birthday and has not been functional for most of the last year.)

Hardware specs may not matter, performance does. I can't wait to see this thing drop tested, etc.
  • Reply 31 of 58
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member
    sleepy3 wrote: »
    Its not meant to compete with the ipad. Diff size, diff price, diff capabilities. 

That's like saying "Ford announces new Mustang. Takes Aim at Ferrari 458"

Two completely different markets

Seems to me thats more like Ford takes aim at Jaguar.
  • Reply 32 of 58
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member

I don't understand this. Reports are rampant that the Amazon Kindle Fire is sputtering in the wind. Why would Google chase this low segment?

• Reply 33 of 58

Quote:

Originally Posted by sheff View Post

Depends on how good the software is.  I think the ecosystem will continue to be a negative on Android tablets for quite some time.  Hardware matters a lot less (aside from the screen) on tablets than it did during the PC wars. 

From what I have seen, Google needs to get lots more devs to make tablet-specific version of software.  While the ecosystem for Android phones is thriving, few tablet-specific apps are available.

I wonder  if they will go the M$ route and pay them to develop titles.

• Reply 34 of 58

Quote:

Originally Posted by inkswamp View Post

I didn't buy cheap, crappy PCs running Windows back then and I don't understand why anyone would do that with Android tablets now.

You didn't, but for every person like you, there are 9 people who did buy a Windows machine.  

If the same thing happens with Android tablets, then they will do fine.

• Reply 35 of 58

Quote:

Originally Posted by sr2012 View Post

Apple made the iPhone. Google copied it. Apple is about same or no.2 to Android market share.

That is not factual.  Android phones outsell iPhones about 3:1.

• Reply 36 of 58
    mitchelljdmitchelljd Posts: 167member
    I am much more interested in if asus will offer a comparable windows 8 tablet.

Another google tablet is kinda boring and yet another data dump to google (aka the NSA)
  • Reply 37 of 58
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    alfiejr wrote: »
    another example of idiotic tech "journalism." "taking aim" would mean producing a product aimed at the same market as the iPad - a large format premium device. which a 7" $200 tablet is most definitely not.

as everyone else with a brain has noted, it is in fact "aimed" at Amazon's Fire, which of course really is a threat to Google, having ripped off the Android OS along with setting up its own directly competing Android app and media store.

So called journalism these days is about stirring the pot, not reporting the news. This is especially true in the world of tech journalism where the fanboy wars generate thousands of clicks adding up to more revenue from ads. So the idea is to title articles, find contrarian analysts, splatter charts all over the place in such a way as to stir controversy and argument. I offer as proof the recent blather about Orbitz offering Mac users higher priced options vs PC users. This has stirred the fanboys up into a frenzy. Need I say more?
  • Reply 38 of 58
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Seems to me thats more like Ford takes aim at Jaguar.

Or "Jag-wire" as the late Steven P. Jobs used to pronounce it.
  • Reply 39 of 58

Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Or "Jag-wire" as the late Steven P. Jobs used to pronounce it.

Jag-you-are.... which is the way the British pronounce it.

• Reply 40 of 58

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerrySwitched26 View Post

If the same thing happens with Android tablets, then they will do fine.

LOL.

What's it like, the planet you're on?