Google to take on Apple TV with $299 'Nexus Q'

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Google on Wednesday unveiled a new $299 hardware device called the "Nexus Q" that allows users to stream music, movies and music from the Google Play storefront.

Like the $99 Apple TV, Google's Nexus Q will allow users to connect their mobile devices to an HDTV or entertainment center. Content available on an Android phone or tablet, including YouTube, can be streamed to the Nexus Q.

The sphere-shaped Nexus Q can be connected to an HDTV, a sound system, or even just a set of speakers. Google has dubbed the device as the "first social streaming media player," as it allows users to create collaborative music queues with friends adding their own songs to a playlist.

The Nexus Q runs on Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich and is powered by a dual-core OMAP 4460 processor. It features 16 gigabytes of built-in storage and will be available in mid-July for $299.

In addition to connecting to external devices, it also features a built-in 25-watt amp that allows the Nexus Q to power speakers without a separate A/V receiver. It also has an optical audio port and Ethernet jack; Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and NFC support; and HDMI output along with an included HDMI cable.

The Nexus Q will support content from Google-centric applications including Google Play Music, Google Play Movies, Google Play TV, and YouTube.

The media streaming device is different from the Android-based Google TV platform that the search giant launched as an Apple TV competitor in 2010. But Google TV, which has been found on hardware built by third-party developers, offers features like Web browsing and installable applications, while the Nexus Q is portrayed as a device that integrates tightly with Google Play content and nearby Android mobile devices.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 109
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Apple TV's a square, Nexus Q's a circle.

"HEY, WHAT'S A QUICK WAY TO SHOW WE'RE NOT COPYING?!"

Social crap out the wazoo… *sigh* Hopefully Google's continued pushing in this department will only mean Apple releases a non-hobby solution (NOT A FREAKING PANEL) that much sooner!
  • Reply 2 of 109
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member

Apple TV $99. Roku $49-69. This thing $299. Hmmm. 

• Reply 3 of 109
    applezillaapplezilla Posts: 941member

Apple TV says TV. Nexus Q is meaningless.

Actually, it sounds like a hair replacement system.

• Reply 4 of 109

It must be a joke.

• Reply 5 of 109
    hobnoblehobnoble Posts: 10member

It's kind of like an Apple TV, but for only 3 times the cost.

Brilliant.

• Reply 6 of 109
    chuychuy Posts: 4member

I remember adding songs to a Playlist queue in iTunes on parties using iPhone's, multiple persons could do it. 

• Reply 7 of 109
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member

Yeah, I'm going to pay $299 to watch a Google brainiac peel a banana and let friends and family mess with my playlists.

002.jpg

• Reply 8 of 109
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member

Moronic.

Fail.

• Reply 9 of 109
    b9botb9bot Posts: 238member

This is as expensive as there first attempt with Logitech for $699!!

No thank you.

• Reply 10 of 109

A little flummoxed on this one. $299 for a device tied to the Google ecosystem competing with the likes of the much cheaper Apple TV (offers streaming services to Apple's ecosystem with some third-party support) and devices like the Roku (no great streaming, but excellent support for third-party services)? And I didn't see mention of services like Netflix and Hulu Plus. For it to be worth $299 in my mind it would have to have some strong differentiating features such as support for competing services (it being a given that it won't support Apple's ecosystem), the ability to store data locally (or some really fantastic and easy-to-use network capable storage whether to a networked hard drive or computer), or integrated hardware capabilities such as a Blu-Ray player. Otherwise it just feels like a $299 answer to the $99 Apple TV.

Looking forward to finding out more about it though.

• Reply 11 of 109

Based on the logo, I'd say Q stands for Quicktime lol

• Reply 12 of 109
    dr_lhadr_lha Posts: 236member

It's not really an Apple TV though is it? For one thing, it doesn't need to be plugged into a TV, and it's got an amp built in. It seems to be Google's attack on Airplay more than Apple TV (as far as I can see this thing doesn't have any actual user interface, that's all controlled by the phone/tablet). Certainly an odd device, for $299 it's hard to see what market they're going for. Weird.

• Reply 13 of 109
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    cpsro wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm going to pay $299 to watch a Google brainiac peel a banana and let friends and family mess with my playlists.

That's one of my niggles, too. I don't want anyone touching my stuff, I don't want anyone messing with my stuff, if they want to bring their iPad over and show me a movie or a link or something, fine, but that shouldn't affect my hardware and my settings in any way.
  • Reply 14 of 109
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuy View Post

I remember adding songs to a Playlist queue in iTunes on parties using iPhone's, multiple persons could do it. 

Yep - though there were a couple of differences:

1. You need to have iTunes running on a Mac/PC somewhere. With this, you don't. Not really a big deal, as who doesn't have a Mac or PC that will have a Nexus Q?

2. You could only request and vote on songs in the library belonging to that Mac/PC, not from your own library. The Q allows you to add songs from your phone.

A slight advantage, but not worth $200 extra dollars for the Q. For $200 the party host with the AppleTV can buy any requested song and add it to his library on the spot.

• Reply 15 of 109
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member

This is NOT the normal price the device will cost. Everyone in the tech press is getting it wrong it seems. It’s not the normal shape/size either.

$299 is specifically for this Big Lebowski Special Edition version.

• Reply 16 of 109
    bilbo63bilbo63 Posts: 285member
    I'll stick with my Apple TV or any device for that matter whose sole purpose isn't gathering my personal information so they can turn around and sell it.

Facebook and Google really creep me out. Their whole revenue model is base on collecting users personal info and selling it, while bombarding you with ads geared specifically to you.

I don't take much of an issue with targeted advertising as such unless it gets out of control. I do have a problem with companies whose revenue model is centered around tracking my every movement online so they can sell it.

Apple isn't perfect, but at least their business plan revolves around making and selling actual stuff, not harvesting my info for resale.
  • Reply 17 of 109
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member

Sweet... A bowling ball with wifi.

• Reply 18 of 109
    nofear1aznofear1az Posts: 209member

I don't get it.  It costs more than the Apple TV.  It allows my dorky friends with bad taste in music to change my playlist.  Why would I want anyone to change my playlist and to top it off to pay more than an AppleTV for that crapability?  

Does everything HAVE to be socially connected.  Can't we just do things on our own anymore without consulting a friend for a confidence check?  

The Borg on Star Trek was something to avoid and yet in real-life more people purposely put their lives into a collective - between Facebook, Google, and fill in any other social interface.  

• Reply 19 of 109
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    Interesting.

Google Nexus Q seems like a competitor to iTunes DJ but iTunes DJ is built right into iTunes and you can stream content to AppleTV for the same experience.

No non-Google apps apparently. Triple the price of AppleTV. WTF. Those robots will buy anything!

Even Apple has Netflix on AppleTV.

What drives me crazy is that Apple must realize they would sell more AppleTVs than iPads or iPhones if they had:

Apple A5 dual-core CPU (ARM Cortex A9 and PowerVR SGX 543MP4) with 16 GB SSD
    iCloud integration (Calendars, Contacts, Find my iPhone, Mail, Notes, Reminders)
    Siri voice navigation (television mutes when Siri is invoked)
    Apps, Apps, Apps
    Optional $50 AppleTV Motion Sensing Remote ergonomic gaming remote with 3 axis accelerometer
    Optional $100 AppleTV Hands-Free Motion Sensor

I think they could possibly even sell such a device for $100 with optional accessories:
    AppleTV (4th generation) $100
    AppleTV Motion Sensing Remote $50 each
    AppleTV Hands-Free Motion Sensor $100

That's $300 for many, many millions of people or only $100 for a new AppleTV (4th generation) with remote or use your iPad or iPhone as a motion sensing remote. Perhaps Siri could be triggered via iPad or iPhone.

I am not sure how best to implement Siri ... Mic on the remote? Triggered by the Remote but mic on the AppleTV? Volume reduction or mute on the television? The optional remote would be for those who want a more traditional game console paradigm. Would an optional motion sensing input device be possible as well? Apple sells a large number of accessories so such a remote is a possibility.

The only issue with AppleTV now is AirPlay. AirPlay demonstrates considerable lag when hosting multi-player gaming and streaming content to a AppleTV connected television for high-end games.

I am convinced Apple is saving this for a hat trick in 2013 or 2014. While Apple could add a few more hardware features and many more software features to the iPad and iPhone they are approaching a saturation point for features and functionality very rapidly.
  • Reply 20 of 109
    originalgoriginalg Posts: 383member

How is this thing more expensive than the Nexus 7? It has a crappier processor, no screen, but lots of ports... but $100 difference?