Street test measures Siri comprehension at 83%, accuracy at 62%

Comments

• Reply 81 of 143
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Does she know how you feel about foreigners?

He doesn't pronounce it fur'ners??  Just kidding... image

• Reply 82 of 143
    gelpgelp Posts: 22member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

How long is a service allows to be called beta? As long as its not working well we just call it beta to excuse away its problems.

Or as long Apple hasn't find a way to monetize it, that can scale! Here is my idea: publish an api so websites can be listed in the Siri service. I looked at the wolfram service and basically they won't allow anything coming from outside.

• Reply 83 of 143
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

He doesn't pronounce it fur'ners??  Just kidding... image

Well technically speaking, I'll be a foreigner soon too. All of the Fandroids on this forum will be relieved to know that I'm going away for the summer and probably won't get a chance to post much at all, because I'll be in a real remote place with very limited internet access. I will be back though.

• Reply 84 of 143
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member

Quote:

Originally Posted by markbyrn View Post

I guess Siri will be in beta for years to come.

lsqgia26.jpg

Like Gmail?

Siri has only been out for 8 months... Gmail, an email service was out for years before it went off beta. Email was a tried and true technology for over 20 years at the time!!! Why in the hell was it ever in beta in the first place?

Siri is a learning technology, meaning it needs to learn your voice and enunciation. Sorry do you not know what that means? It needs to learn how you talk, slurs and all.

I think int he past 7 months since I've had my iPhone, Siri has dissed me a handful of times (maybe four or five).

• Reply 85 of 143
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

When I was in highschool many moons ago, understanding the teacher 86% of the time and only getting 62% of my answer's right was a big fat F, of course I just wrote BETA on the top of my tests and all was forgiven.

Software has many stages for testing purposes.

There's alpha, meaning very early.

There's beta, meaning in a test phase.

Then there's gold master, meaning about to be released.

Since Siri is a social/learning feature it needs to be tested on a mass scale before it can be really be let loose.

• Reply 86 of 143
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Well technically speaking, I'll be a foreigner soon too. All of the Fandroids on this forum will be relieved to know that I'm going away for the summer and probably won't get a chance to post much at all, because I'll be in a real remote place with very limited internet access. I will be back though.

Good for you! Work or play?

• Reply 87 of 143
    negafoxnegafox Posts: 480member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

Like Gmail?

Siri has only been out for 8 months... Gmail, an email service was out for years before it went off beta. Email was a tried and true technology for over 20 years at the time!!! Why in the hell was it ever in beta in the first place?

Siri is a learning technology, meaning it needs to learn your voice and enunciation. Sorry do you not know what that means? It needs to learn how you talk, slurs and all.

I think int he past 7 months since I've had my iPhone, Siri has dissed me a handful of times (maybe four or five).

Once Apple included Siri with all shipping iPhone 4S devices, it should no longer be called "beta". That is a final shipping product to customers.

• Reply 88 of 143
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    negafox wrote: »
    Once Apple included Siri with all shipping iPhone 4S devices, it should no longer be called "beta". That is a final shipping product to customers.

Then you have a different definition of beta than most, I think.
  • Reply 89 of 143
    hellacoolhellacool Posts: 759member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

You're an idiot.

Software has many stages for testing purposes.

There's alpha, meaning very early.

There's beta, meaning in a test phase.

Then there's gold master, meaning about to be released.

Since Siri is a social/learning feature it needs to be tested on a mass scale before it can be really be let loose.

I have an iTissue if your feelings are hurt by the truth.  Advertising to the masses Siri as a main feature with no indication of beta is flat out lying.  We know it is beta because we hang out on tech forums but the majority of folks have no idea.

• Reply 90 of 143

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Have fun in jail.

• Reply 91 of 143
    negafoxnegafox Posts: 480member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I would like to hear your definition then. Beta software is generally feature complete but released as an optional download for users to test. Siri is GA, not beta, as it is a bullet feature in a retail product.

• Reply 92 of 143

Quote:

As an uniformed consumer, one that has no idea what beta even means, a product they purchase is expected to be the final product.  So to say most, you mean most in the tech world because no way would most consumers have a clue.

• Reply 93 of 143
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    hellacool wrote: »
    Advertising to the masses Siri as a main feature with no indication of beta is flat out lying.

Saying Apple doesn't indicate it's a beta is flat out lying, too.

I really shouldn't have to link to something as simple as Apple.com to debunk the things you say. Doing so also proves that a much larger number of people than you assume know it's a beta.
  • Reply 94 of 143

Quote:

Good for you! Work or play?

It's mostly play, but I'm hoping to get a little work done at least.

There will be no shortage of Apple devices there, because I'm bringing a Macbook, two iPads, Apple BT keyboard, Magic Trackpad and some recording gear with me. I'll buy some cheap 24-27" monitor when I get there, and that should be a decent set up to use while I'm away.

• Reply 95 of 143

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

Have fun in jail.

Nah, people like me don't end up in jail.

• Reply 96 of 143
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member

"Remind me to pick up eggs and milk when I leave work."

Siri can do this for me... can Google? No, but we didn't test that kind of thing.

• Reply 97 of 143

Quote:

Dude, don't start out the day failing to read before posting, particularly when it's your own link. Only in your world could your article "proving" Siri more accurate than Google Voice Actions be misconstrued as a scientific study "with appropriate controls".  The article itself plainly says: 

"The study is small and not scientific, therefor no quantitative conclusions should be drawn

http://blog.thearorareport.com/2011/11/14/aaple-siri-voice-recgnition-trumps-android-voice/

That's your link!! Please be careful today. It's a long fall off your high-horse.

The fact that he didn't realize what was said is no real evidence that he didn't read it.  Indeed, it would par for the course.

• Reply 98 of 143
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member

Quote:

Saying Apple doesn't indicate it's a beta is flat out lying, too.

I really shouldn't have to link to something as simple as Apple.com to debunk the things you say. Doing so also proves that a much larger number of people than you assume know it's a beta.

But Apple should, and they don't.   I know of no links on ads which do not identify it as beta (such as the celebrity video ads) which direct you to the Siri page with these graphics.  Who makes regular trips to Apple's site for info *just in case* there's more to it?  Us maybe, not most of Apple users, which makes it some pretty fine print regardless of how front and center it is on their Siri page.  Is this not the only place where it is clarified?  If not, point out where else it is, in adverts for the iPhone which mention Siri, and if it's not there point out what directs one to the Siri site for such status.   Not saying it doesn't exist, just that I've never seen it, though I've seen lots of ads, print and video, which contain no reference to this.

• Reply 99 of 143
    blitz1blitz1 Posts: 438member

Quote:

Originally Posted by robogobo View Post

It's "allowed" to be called beta as long as it's in beta.  And it's still in beta because they haven't worked out the problems completely.  As soon as they're worked out, it will probably be out of beta.  Make sense?

Not really. It really means that 'he guys, we have something that's called Siri, but please, don't mind its countless errors"

• Reply 100 of 143

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

it was a scientific survey.

"The study is small and not scientific, therefor no quantitative conclusions should be drawn

http://blog.thearorareport.com/2011/11/14/aaple-siri-voice-recgnition-trumps-android-voice/

See what I mean?