Former OS X chief working on cloud startup with other ex-Apple employees

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mario View Post

And when he left that's when OS X started going downhill until it will eventually becomes iOS.

I wonder if the MAC starts sporting iOS as well, then wouldn't that mean that they will eventually follow Window's new business model of a single OS for all computing platforms?

• Reply 22 of 25
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,333moderator
    libdem wrote: »
    Clearly,you have no idea about the future potentials in Storage Domain.
    Storage is big and it is going to get bigger now that we are all firmly integrated in Web 2.0 with information increasing exponiantially.
    Informatoin is where the money is whether you like it or not.

Bertrand Serlet has millions though so I doubt his motivation is money.

If you make a sucess of it, the returns can be massive:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2011/10/18/behind-the-scenes-at-dropbox/

$240m revenue with 70 staff, some estimates suggest 70-85% profit margins. But like I say, if you already have lots of money, I don't see the cloud as an exciting business to be in unless you do something that hasn't been done before like gaming but that's been done now along with cloud desktops, music and everything else.

Their job ad is intriguing:

http://design.jobmotel.com/jobs/41119

UI Design Engineer (Palo Alto, CA)

Job Description
    Upthere is inventing new technology to tame an everyday consumer problem in our increasingly connected world. You will be responsible for designing everything the user sees about our application. The simplicity and elegance of the interface you design will belie the complexity of the hard-core technology underneath.

This is principally a visual design role. Product development will involve a tight collaboration between you, the interaction designer and engineers. Nevertheless, we like generalists so expertise in interaction design or development is a huge plus.

Must Have Qualifications
    - You can think out of the box. There's no precedent for what we're building, so you are comfortable creating new paradigms of interaction.
    - You are extremely meticulous. Our engineers are perfectionists and we expect no less from our design counterpart.
    - You can use typography effectively to establish our identity.
    - You have strong iconography skills. You are equally adept at creating 16x16 pixel and large photo-realistic icons.
    - You understand HTML, CSS and web standards. Our engineers will faithfully realize your creations but our experience is that the best designers understand the technology.
    - You can design us an awesome logo.

Additional Success Factors
    - You have experience or education in interaction design or HCI.
    - You have experience designing apps for the web, mobile or OS X.

About upthere, inc.
    We are an early-stage start-up (6 persons) in stealth mode based in downtown Palo Alto off of University Avenue.
    Our founders were key to building the world's leading operating system (Mac OS X) and database (Oracle) and have a clear vision of core technology for a Cloud OS.
    If you want to blaze a path across uncharted territories, come start the journey with us!

Job Perks: Work with an amazing team on University Avenue, help change the world : )

They sure need a better logo than what they have now. They can use my Pixar mockup if they want.

They also say 'there's no precedent for what we're building' and 'uncharted territories' so that kind of suggests it's not like any other service that currently exists. So no cloud computing, gaming, hosting, movies, music or desktop. What else is there? A cloud cloud - a cloud service that lets you deploy another cloud service?
  • Reply 23 of 25
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

They also say 'there's no precedent for what we're building' and 'uncharted territories' so that kind of suggests it's not like any other service that currently exists. So no cloud computing, gaming, hosting, movies, music or desktop. What else is there? A cloud cloud - a cloud service that lets you deploy another cloud service?

It says they are developing a "Cloud OS," but what could that be? A traditional OS manages your apps, and the cloud is where your data is, so a cloud OS might manage your data in an analogous way. But what would that mean exactly? Well they also have an Oracle guy, and a database is the traditional way to manage one's data. So the traditional form of OS + the traditional form of data management mashed together and cloud-ized? Nope, there is a another conceptual step/leap I'm not making...
  • Reply 24 of 25
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,333moderator
    ascii wrote: »
    It says they are developing a "Cloud OS," but what could that be? A traditional OS manages your apps, and the cloud is where your data is, so a cloud OS might manage your data in an analogous way. But what would that mean exactly? Well they also have an Oracle guy, and a database is the traditional way to manage one's data. So the traditional form of OS + the traditional form of data management mashed together and cloud-ized? Nope, there is a another conceptual step/leap I'm not making...

I'd say it would have to differ vastly from the likes of Chrome OS and Jolicloud. There's an interesting link here

http://blog.wilshipley.com/2011/03/celebrating-betrand-serlet-and-craig.html

"Bertrand was at NeXT for as long as I can remember, and over the years he and I established a tradition of meeting every year during NeXTWorld and then WWDC for lunch, and we’d talk about the state of NeXTstep / Rhapsody / Mac OS X and what the future might hold, and I’d always pitch him on my latest crazy ideas.

One year, when I was still at Omni, all our WWDC-going guys used one of these lunches with Bertrand to beg him to bring back Enterprise Objects (“EOF”), after NeXT/Apple had killed everything we liked about it by folding it into WebObjects and then porting it to Java. I still remember the discussion because Bertrand zoomed in on the big idea we were getting at – what did we want in EOF? What was the core part that was cool? What’s the minimum necessary? The idea of storing files in a database, yes, but also the idea of binding to the interface layer from the model layer? He liked these kinds of issues.

Now, of course, Bertrand could never tell us what was in development, he could just say, “Yes, yes, this is interesting, yes… of course, I can’t promise anything, of course.” But, two years later we got CoreData, which had exactly the parts of EOF we had asked for, and it was pretty damn awesome."

CoreData is what FCPX uses for its database.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enterprise_Objects_Framework

We could assume that apps would all map onto a database directly in the UpThere setup and it would use the experience of the Oracle staff. It can't use localised web-apps if it is to have any success, as businesses can't protect their software so it needs native apps or server apps. It would have to be a unix-based OS.

If it just synced databases across devices, it's more than iCloud but not by much and it would have the same mountain to climb in adoption vs Mac, Windows, iOS and Android. The main thing I can't think of is a problem that is left to be solved by a cloud service. Serlet said his focus would be more on science and not products so maybe it won't have a direct commercial impact.

The company description said cloud hosting and consulting for cloud computing so maybe it will be something to be used by the same people that use Oracle products to compete with Windows Server, .Net and Azure. Serlet doesn't like Windows and OS X isn't making much of an impact but server tech certainly could, though it's hard to imagine anything being a success without a product of some kind.
  • Reply 25 of 25
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enterprise_Objects_Framework

We could assume that apps would all map onto a database directly in the UpThere setup and it would use the experience of the Oracle staff. It can't use localised web-apps if it is to have any success, as businesses can't protect their software so it needs native apps or server apps. It would have to be a unix-based OS.

If it just synced databases across devices, it's more than iCloud but not by much and it would have the same mountain to climb in adoption vs Mac, Windows, iOS and Android. The main thing I can't think of is a problem that is left to be solved by a cloud service. Serlet said his focus would be more on science and not products so maybe it won't have a direct commercial impact.

The company description said cloud hosting and consulting for cloud computing so maybe it will be something to be used by the same people that use Oracle products to compete with Windows Server, .Net and Azure. Serlet doesn't like Windows and OS X isn't making much of an impact but server tech certainly could, though it's hard to imagine anything being a success without a product of some kind.

I'd be disappointed if it was just another object->relational mapping framework, or model-driven architecture solution, but there is a market opportunity there. Core Data + iCloud does provide a way to map your objects directly to the cloud, but it's very much for the individual, SQLLite based, not enterprise strength at all.