Apple telling suppliers to prep for mass production of smaller iPad - WSJ

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Evidence of a new, smaller iPad model continues to mount, with a new report claiming Apple told its component suppliers this week to prepare for mass production of such a device.

Citing anonymous sources, The Wall Street Journal reported on Wednesday that Apple's Asian component suppliers are preparing for mass production of the smaller iPad in September. The device is expected to have a screen size smaller than 8 inches.

Current iPad models feature a display that measure 9.7 inches diagonally. Numerous rumors this year have pointed toward a so-called "iPad mini" featuring a 7.85-inch display.

According to Wednesday's report, LG Display Co. and AU Optronics Co. will be suppliers of displays for the new, smaller iPad. The report said movement in the supply chain has suggested that the launch of a smaller iPad "appears near."

The Journal's report comes only hours after Bloomberg also stated that Apple is gearing up to launch a smaller iPad by the end of the year. That report said Apple's new iPad model will feature a display sized between 7 and 8 inches.

iPad

The earlier report suggested that Apple could announce the new iPad model in October, the same month that the market expects Apple will introduce its new iPhone model. Last year, the iPhone 4S was unveiled and launched in October.

The last few days have seen a flurry of news related to Apple's rumored "iPad mini." Another report on Tuesday out of the Far East suggested such a device would feature a Sharp IGZO display and could be priced between $249 and $299.

A smaller and cheaper iPad could allow Apple to more directly compete with the low-end tablet market where Amazon found some success with its 7-inch, $199 Kindle Fire tablet late last year. Google will enter that same market next month with the launch of its Nexus 7 tablet, also priced starting at $199.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 160
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

If true, it's the Second Coming of the iPod phenomenon. And if Apple can pull it off roughly the same way, it spells the end of tablet market, and the monumental growth of the iPad market. 

Steve Jobs *did* say this was a bad idea. However, if we consider the success of the iPod approach, then this is Not good news for the competition. At all.

An entire family of iPads. It just might be what we will lock up the market for Apple. 

• Reply 2 of 160
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Hmmm. Seems like a larger iPod touch would be more appropriate... But that's just me.
    Any comments on why 7.9 has 'better attributes' over the present 9 inch...just doesn't seem significant benefits????
    Seems to me a 5-6 inch version would be a sweet spot... But that just me again.
  • Reply 3 of 160
    studentxstudentx Posts: 112member

SOLD

• Reply 4 of 160
    guidelyguidely Posts: 1member

Tim Cook you fail !! as apple CEO

• Reply 5 of 160
    dm3dm3 Posts: 168member

I still don't see it.

Apple never competes on price. Look at Netbooks. Macbook Air is hardly a cheap netbook, yet between the Air and iPad, Apple has killed the netbook market.

Many "analysts" had all sorts of rumors than an iPhone mini was coming out. All sorts of talk that they needed to have a lower price model to compete. Instead Apple has kept selling older models and dropped the price.

The iPad2 currently sells for $399. Its miles better than the Fire or Nexus. Why would Apple bother with a smaller device?

Apple hates having lots of different products. Even worse is having lots of different development platforms. Today there are only two iOS display resolutions, the iPad & iPhone/iPod-touch and their pixel doubled counterparts which can be automatically pixel doubled by iOS w no change to the app. Adding a 7" model who's sole purpose is to be cheap, while adding another product to the lineup and another screen resolution to worry about is not a good move for Apple.

What apple tends to do is take an existing older product and lower its price. 

• Reply 6 of 160
    christopher126christopher126 Posts: 4,366member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

If true, it's the Second Coming of the iPod phenomenon. And if Apple can pull it off roughly the same way, it spells the end of tablet market, and the monumental growth of the iPad market. 

Steve Jobs *did* say this was a bad idea. However, if we consider the success of the iPod approach, then this is Not good news for the competition. At all.

An entire family of iPads. It just might be what we will lock up the market for Apple. 

Spot on! As usual. I'm up for the smaller portable iPad. Sold my iPad2 to get the latest iPad3 but am holding off for the smaller iPad. 

Best

• Reply 7 of 160
    constable odoconstable odo Posts: 1,041member

I'm at a loss as to why this would have high demand.  Is it supposed to replace Kindle readers because I don't exactly see the benefit of having it as a scaled-down iPad.  Will it be used as a hand-held gaming console?  I can understand why consumers might buy Kindle Fires and other 7" Android tablets because they're cheap in price.  However, I don't see consumers buying a $299 7" iPad to save money.  I'm guessing that Apple would have to leave out a number of features to reach that price and I personally think it's a bad idea to remove any features from a smaller iPad that the normal-sized iPad has.  I still think the analysts are wrong on this iPad mini and there must be something they're misunderstanding.  I'd be happy if an iPad mini could disrupt all sales of the smaller Android tablets, but that's about the only thing that would be worthwhile from it.

• Reply 8 of 160
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    Me thinks Apple just ratted out a leaker.
  • Reply 9 of 160
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Would an iPad mini without a bezel be sensible/feasible? You could then hold it in one hand, just like an iPhone, even people with small hands. While looking for a mockup, I found this, pretty cool:

[URL=http://tablet-news.com/2012/02/29/futuristic-ipad-concept-uses-no-bezel-at-all-magnets-to-attach-to-other-ipads-video/][IMG]http://forums.appleinsider.com/image/id/170553/width/600/height/330[/IMG][/URL]

Cool video, but I can't embed a video for reasons unknown to me:

[VIDEO]http://tablet-news.com/2012/02/29/futuristic-ipad-concept-uses-no-bezel-at-all-magnets-to-attach-to-other-ipads-video/[/VIDEO]
  • Reply 10 of 160

Quote:

Originally Posted by dm3 View Post

I still don't see it.

Apple never competes on price. Look at Netbooks. Macbook Air is hardly a cheap netbook, yet between the Air and iPad, Apple has killed the netbook market.

Many "analysts" had all sorts of rumors than an iPhone mini was coming out. All sorts of talk that they needed to have a lower price model to compete. Instead Apple has kept selling older models and dropped the price.

The iPad2 currently sells for $399. Its miles better than the Fire or Nexus. Why would Apple bother with a smaller device?

Apple hates having lots of different products. Even worse is having lots of different development platforms. Today there are only two iOS display resolutions, the iPad & iPhone/iPod-touch and their pixel doubled counterparts which can be automatically pixel doubled by iOS w no change to the app. Adding a 7" model who's sole purpose is to be cheap, while adding another product to the lineup and another screen resolution to worry about is not a good move for Apple.

What apple tends to do is take an existing older product and lower its price. 

You make good points. Although I do think it will be part of the iPad family as opposed to being part of the IPod family. I liken it to when Apple had such a command of the MP3 market (~80%) and introduced the Shuffle (Flash) and then took ~80% of that market by the "following Friday!" I also think, Tim is thinking lets get the smaller iPad in the hands of a lot of people and introduce them to the Apple eco-system and they will buy (and gift), Apps, iPads, iPods, AppleTV's, iPhones, Laptops, etc. etc. We all know the "Halo" effect of the iPod! :)

Best

• Reply 11 of 160
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcmac View Post

Me thinks Apple just ratted out a leaker.

Me thinks this is a controlled media "leak" from Apple themselves intended to tell potential buyers to delay their smaller tablet purchases until they see Apple's product. Apple may want the details kept under wraps for a bit longer, but absolutely want to minimize the Nexus7 tablet introduction from this week. "Wait, we have one coming too" is the message they want spread IMO.

• Reply 12 of 160
    buddyrevellbuddyrevell Posts: 172member
    philboogie wrote: »
    Would an iPad mini without a bezel be sensible/feasible? You could then hold it in one hand, just like an iPhone, even people with small hands. While looking for a mockup, I found this, pretty cool:
    Cool video, but I can't embed a video for reasons unknown to me:
    [VIDEO]http://tablet-news.com/2012/02/29/futuristic-ipad-concept-uses-no-bezel-at-all-magnets-to-attach-to-other-ipads-video/[/VIDEO]

This plus "Virtual Bezel Mode" for those who sometimes prefer one would kick ass.
  • Reply 13 of 160

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Cool video, but I can't embed a video for reasons unknown to me:http://tablet-news.com/2012/02/29/futuristic-ipad-concept-uses-no-bezel-at-all-magnets-to-attach-to-other-ipads-video/

Thanks for the Vid. Very, Very imaginative! :)

• Reply 14 of 160
    notscottnotscott Posts: 247member

A smaller and cheaper iPad could allow Apple to more directly compete with the low-end tablet market 

Compete with the low-end tablet market... great...

• Reply 15 of 160
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

If true, it's the Second Coming of the iPod phenomenon. 

Agreed. IF this is true it is the iPod Touch (which wasn't revamped other than adding white last year) than the iPad. Gets the iPod Touch out from being merely an iPhone that can't make calls, etc. And it has the advantage that scaling up iPhone apps is way easier than scaling down iPad ones. In fact you don't have to do anything which will thrill the developers. Yes many will add a 3rd face that is optimized for the size but until they get it done they have a working app that doesn't look like total poop. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by dm3 View Post

Apple never competes on price. 

Very true. Apple doesn't design to compete with a price point. They also don't design just cause the other boys are doing it, especially when they already have a product winning that fight (i.e. why make a 7 inch iPad to beat the Kindle when it already getting beaten by the 10 inch iPad)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Me thinks this is a controlled media "leak" from Apple themselves intended to tell potential buyers to delay their smaller tablet purchases until they see Apple's product. 

More like perhaps a controlled leak to find out who the source of the leaks is. Remember Tim Cook's oath to 'double down on secrecy'. My guess is that they aren't doing anything with the iPad, it's not even a 7 inch iPod Touch but more like a 5-6 and the named companies and implied components are no where near correct. But someone just got his/her independence from Apple in a big way. 

• Reply 16 of 160

I don't understand how you can call it 'better than the nexus' when they aren't even released yet... You might be entirely right. But the point is, you don't know. I don't understand product bashing... especially when you clearly don't own a particular product. 

• Reply 17 of 160
    This is starting to make a little more sense. It made me wonder why Apple called this latest iPad "the new iPad" rather than the iPad 3. It seems that it may have been but a placeholder. If a new, smaller model is on the horizon, they couldn't very well call that the iPad 4, but it's a completely different product.

So now, we'll likely see a "new iPad mini". No number. Maybe we'll see numbering scheme return upon the next iteration of the current iPad?
  • Reply 18 of 160
    jj.yuanjj.yuan Posts: 213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

Hmmm. Seems like a larger iPod touch would be more appropriate... But that's just me.

I guess Apple will go for iPad Mini, replicating the success in iPod world (classic, mini, nano, shuffle, touch). Besides, iPad Mini is easier to pronounce and remember, I think.

• Reply 19 of 160
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    I don't understand how you can call it 'better than the nexus' when they aren't even released yet... You might be entirely right. But the point is, you don't know. I don't understand product bashing… especially when you clearly don't own a particular product. 

True. I also don't understand product praise when the product doesn't exist, like the Surface and the Nexus.
    Would an iPad mini without a bezel be sensible/feasible?

It'd be physically impossible, but more than that, you wouldn't want one due to the touches you didn't want registered.
    This plus "Virtual Bezel Mode" for those who sometimes prefer one would kick ass.

You really want to force developers to design their app to have two screen sizes for the SAME DEVICE?! Imagine what they'd do in retaliation. :lol:
  • Reply 20 of 160
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Would an iPad mini without a bezel be sensible/feasible?

It'd be physically impossible, but more than that, you wouldn't want one due to the touches you didn't want registered.

You really want to force developers to design their app to have two screen sizes for the SAME DEVICE?! Imagine what they'd do in retaliation. :lol: