Apple reportedly taking action against vendors selling iOS beta activations

Comments

• Reply 21 of 51
    vadaniavadania Posts: 425member
    "Apple wrote:
    [" url="/t/151169/apple-reportedly-taking-action-against-vendors-selling-ios-beta-activations#post_2142790"]
    Who cares about curing hunger? Cure the breeding habits of certain people, and there would be no need to cure hunger, as if there is any cure to be found to begin with.

A phone is much more important, unless we're talking about an Android phone of course. A game changing device like the iPhone has had a far more dramatic and substantial impact on the world than curing hunger. And what does curing hunger mean anyway? There is no magic pill that will eliminate hunger. 

I'm just curious, but when was the last time you were starving but didn't have enough money to buy food?

You didn't ask to be born, but I bet you like to eat food every now and then dont you?

You know, this week... Maybe next week?
  • Reply 22 of 51
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vadania View Post

I'm just curious, but when was the last time you were starving but didn't have enough money to buy food?

You didn't ask to be born, but I bet you like to eat food every now and then dont you?

You know, this week... Maybe next week?

I believe in individual responsibility, and the blame lies with the parents. Don't bring children into the world if you can not provide for them, that's a very simple concept that most people should be aware of.

I remember watching Meerkat Manor on Netflix some months ago, and not surprisingly, the offspring of the most foolish Meerkats did not survive.

• Reply 23 of 51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I believe in individual responsibility, and the blame lies with the parents. Don't bring children into the world if you can not provide for them, that's a very simple concept that most people should be aware of.

You have a very simplistic view of the world. "To a Mouse, on Turning Her Up in Her Nest with the Plough"[1] is a Scots poem written by Robert Burns in 1785,

Small, crafty, cowering, timorous little beast,

O, what a panic is in your little breast!

You need not start away so hasty

With argumentative chatter!

I would be loath to run and chase you,

With murdering plough-staff.

I'm truly sorry man's dominion

Has broken Nature's social union,

And justifies that ill opinion

Which makes thee startle

At me, thy poor, earth born companion

And fellow mortal!

I doubt not, sometimes, but you may steal;

What then? Poor little beast, you must live!

An odd ear in twenty-four sheaves

Is a small request;

I will get a blessing with what is left,

And never miss it.

Your small house, too, in ruin!

Its feeble walls the winds are scattering!

And nothing now, to build a new one,

Of coarse grass green!

And bleak December's winds coming,

Both bitter and keen!

You saw the fields laid bare and wasted,

And weary winter coming fast,

And cozy here, beneath the blast,

You thought to dwell,

Till crash! the cruel plough passed

Out through your cell.

That small bit heap of leaves and stubble,

Has cost you many a weary nibble!

Now you are turned out, for all your trouble,

Without house or holding,

To endure the winter's sleety dribble,

And hoar-frost cold.

But little Mouse, you are not alone,

In proving foresight may be vain:

The best laid schemes of mice and men

Go often awry,

And leave us nothing but grief and pain,

For promised joy!

Still you are blest, compared with me!

The present only touches you:

But oh! I backward cast my eye,

On prospects dreary!

And forward, though I cannot see,

I guess and fear!

• Reply 24 of 51
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

You have a very simplistic view of the world. "To a Mouse, on Turning Her Up in Her Nest with the Plough"[1] is a Scots poem written by Robert Burns in 1785,

I believe that when we cut through all of the BS surrounding many things, I find that many things are rather simplistic at their core.

I of course understand the point that you're attempting to make by posting that poem, but I don't agree that it applies well to this topic, as "best laid schemes" is the exact opposite of the plans that many people have. The warning signs are there for anybody to see, and yet they choose to ignore them, time and time again. That's quite the opposite of "best laid schemes" that may sometimes go awry.

• Reply 25 of 51
    povilaspovilas Posts: 473member

Quote:

Originally Posted by blogorant View Post

Some of you guys really need to get over yourselves. No, no one should be selling developer activations. That's crossing a line and shame on them. But, really?

If some superfan can't wait and just HAS to have IOS 6 on his iDevice, what's the big deal? It's gonna mystery crash, be incompatible with a lot of his apps, etc. Maybe he'll learn, maybe he won't. It's a lot like jail breaking... Generally a pain in the butt.

How many of us have $99 developer accounts that, strictly speaking, maybe we really don't qualify for? I'd be all over the IOS 6 beta but I've been down that road and life's too short. See paragraph two.

In the end we're not talking about curing hunger or a calamitous natural disaster... It's a phone.

From that point of view maybe nothing is wrong, butto do that you need to get your UDID registered to an iOS dev account and you can't do that without buying a spot for 7-10 US dollars right now.

Selling those spots is just plain wrong an violates your developer agreement you signed .

Can it be any more clear?

• Reply 26 of 51
    Right. The only company that should release unreliable Beta versions to the public is Apple, and only when it needs a marquee feature to promote an otherwise (yawn) forgettable version upgrade. Siri-usly.

There is no way to cure hunger but there are ways to reduce it. Better farming/transportation infrastructure, better population control (including reproductive education and health care services) and government policies that encourage healthy choices rather than subsidies for unhealthy options.
  • Reply 27 of 51
    socratessocrates Posts: 261member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vadania View Post

I thought, due to a lot of reading, that apple was trying to do away with UDID. I'm not as well read as some of you with technology, but wouldn't this show up in iOS 6? Meaning, now it's here! ...and by the way UDID doesn't work any more. No more tracking guys!

I'm generalizing of course, but are we seeing a new level of security that the Senators keep calling Apple out on?

I would love to hear Sol's well thought opinion of this.

Apple never said they were getting rid of UDID. What they've gotten rid of is the public API for apps to read the UDID.

In other words, the UDID is still there, and still used by Apple for device identification, but third party apps are no longer allowed to make use of it for tracking users.

• Reply 28 of 51
    sensisensi Posts: 346member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

simplistic

QFT. Also obnoxious and appalling.

• Reply 29 of 51
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    blogorant wrote: »
    Some of you guys really need to get over yourselves. No, no one should be selling developer activations. That's crossing a line and shame on them. But, really?
    Some people still believe in ethics and living up to your contractural obligations. I haven't looked in to the developer accounts, so I don't know the exact nature of the contract but apparently it restricts the sale of the materials discussed here.

If you are a businessman, do you really want to be doing business with somebody that has serious ethical issues.
    If some superfan can't wait and just HAS to have IOS 6 on his iDevice, what's the big deal? It's gonna mystery crash, be incompatible with a lot of his apps, etc. Maybe he'll learn, maybe he won't. It's a lot like jail breaking... Generally a pain in the butt.
    Who really gives a damn about mr. superfan? The reality is superfan has nothing to do with this discussion, it really is about the people that agree to perform to a contracts specification and then do exactly what is prohibited.
    How many of us have $99 developer accounts that, strictly speaking, maybe we really don't qualify for?
    Who judges qualifications? Again though the point is ethical behavior not your qualifications to make use of the developer account.
    I'd be all over the IOS 6 beta but I've been down that road and life's too short. See paragraph two.
    In the end we're not talking about curing hunger or a calamitous natural disaster... It's a phone.
    The phone has nothing to do with the discussion. Absolutely nothing, it is all about people that can't grasp that they are bound by a contract to do certain things.

Think about paint on your car, you walk into the shop and sign a contract to have it painted red. You come back a few days latter and find that the car was painted green, what would be your reaction? The color may be a small detail but it is be rather important to one party signed to the contract. More so if the painter can't live up to this point in the contract how do you know the rest of the specifications have been followed? The reality is if they played loose with the color they probably didn't pay attention to other terms agreed too.
  • Reply 30 of 51
    lunarmoonlunarmoon Posts: 29member

and there is another problem. Many of the morons running beta versions of iOS posted bad reviews of current apps bashing the app for not being compatible with the next release of iOS. In other words, morons were posting bad reviews of apps that were not compatible yet with a version of iOS not even released yet.

• Reply 31 of 51
    daving313daving313 Posts: 97member

The flip side to this is Apple's beta testing program is huge compared to just using developer paid accounts only.  All those people leaving 'Send Diagnostics' toggle on are helping Apple get a clearer picture of how iOS 6 is behaving in the world.

IMO, it only makes the OS better in the long run.

• Reply 32 of 51
    danuffdanuff Posts: 33member

I 100% agree with what Apple is doing.  If you don't want to pay the $99.00/Year, then you don't deserve to get the software - period.

• Reply 33 of 51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

OS X Betas are *not* for public consumption, nor is the public entitled to something a vendor decided to *not* give them. Apple's philosophy is that the consumer sees the final, finished release, not some beta. The first impression is to be made from the release. 

Really? How's that working out for Siri?

• Reply 34 of 51
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member
    mazda 3s wrote: »
    I've been buying UDID activations online since 4.0 Beta. I bought the iOS 6 beta UDID activation from an eBay seller for $4.99 and was activated within 2 minutes.
    As a tinkerer who likes to stay on the bleeding edge, it was worth it to me. I don't mind a few crashes or incompatibilities here and there.

So because you are a tinkerer it is worth it to steal someone (or buy stolen) else's IP? Would the same thing apply if someone broke into your house, stole your large screen TV and sold it too me for a couple hundred bucks? I'm a tinkerer too and I'd love to have another large flat screen -- does that justify my actions then? Nuff said!
  • Reply 35 of 51
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member

Just fine thank you. This is a case where Apple chose to have a public beta. You need not participate.
  • Reply 36 of 51
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

So because you are a tinkerer it is worth it to steal someone (or buy stolen) else's IP? Would the same thing apply if someone broke into your house, stole your large screen TV and sold it too me for a couple hundred bucks? I'm a tinkerer too and I'd love to have another large flat screen -- does that justify my actions then? Nuff said!

Except that no one broke in to steal Apple's TV in this case. They came in along with the friend (developer) Apple invited to make themselves at home and watch the game. It's just the friend told the invitee to bring a six-pack for him if he wanted to tag along. 

• Reply 37 of 51
    retinaretina Posts: 8member
    Yea yea yea...and jailbreaking is awful, too, right? Because it's against "policy"? OS's are too much fun to wait for the final product. I'm not a drone. I can think for myself and nobody here will tell me what, where, or when my "first impression" is supposed to be.
  • Reply 38 of 51

Quote:

Originally Posted by malax View Post

And why would anyone pay $9 to have a beta version of iOS on their device?  Stupid all around.

Because they are big time Apple fans who want to get the new OS before their friends? 

ISTM that Apple will be disappointing rabid fans as a side affect.

• Reply 39 of 51
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

I've been buying UDID activations online since 4.0 Beta. I bought the iOS 6 beta UDID activation from an eBay seller for $4.99 and was activated within 2 minutes.

As a tinkerer who likes to stay on the bleeding edge, it was worth it to me. I don't mind a few crashes or incompatibilities here and there.

So they are violating eBay's terms of service too, and probably PayPal's.

If you really want to tinker and stay on the bleeding edge, join the developer's program and get access to some truly excellent developer resources (and support) rather than screwing around with this grey market stuff. 

• Reply 40 of 51
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Quote:

Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

Siri is not an OS. It in no way defines the totality of the iOS experience. It's a feature, among MANY features. 

Apple felt it was right to release it in the state it was in. Fine by me. And fine by you, too, since it wasn't your decision to make. Apple owns Siri, not you.