Apple reportedly taking action against vendors selling iOS beta activations

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 51
    hezetationhezetation Posts: 674member

Quote:

"We do not believe our service was infringing and our services did not violate their guidelines for iOS 6?, the site owner maintained, adding that he is currently working on a new site ?with better and more secure data lines to handle Apple."

Wow, some judge is gonna have fun with this idiot.

What's even more humorous than people thinking they can get away with something so blatantly illegal is their response when they get caught.  
  • Reply 42 of 51
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    sennen wrote: »
    macrumours has some doozies:

May as well call it Anti-Apple TrollRumors these days.
    hezetation wrote: »
    What's even more humorous than people thinking they can get away with something so blatantly illegal is their response when they get caught.

Well, the Chinese managed it.
  • Reply 43 of 51
    xstaticaxstatica Posts: 41member

It is not that simple.  Developers do need beta testers.  That is the intent of the whole scheme.  Some people are just cashing in on it and selling them.  Apple just needs to update their policy to specifically not allow selling developer testing slots.

• Reply 44 of 51
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    xstatica wrote: »
    Apple just needs to update their policy to specifically not allow selling developer testing slots.

It has always said that.
  • Reply 45 of 51
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member

From Registered Apple Developer Agreement (https://developer.apple.com/programs/terms/registered_apple_developer_20100301.pdf)

6. Confidential Pre-Release Materials License and Restrictions.

If Apple provides you with Pre-Release Materials, then subject to your compliance with the terms and conditions of this Agreement, Apple hereby grants you a nonexclusive, nontransferable, right and license to use the Pre-Release Materials only for the limited purposes set forth in this Section 6;  ... and you will not modify, network, rent, lease, transmit, sell, or loan the Pre-Release Materials in whole or in part.

This agreement is dated October 2010, so it's been pretty clear for years (at least) that developers aren't allowed to share beta software with their friends or sell it to random "superfans."

• Reply 46 of 51
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I'm curious to see how future posters will spin this into something sinister against Apple.

LOL, yeah where's that "draconian Apple store policies" troll when you need him?
  • Reply 47 of 51
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Who cares about curing hunger? Cure the breeding habits of certain people, and there would be no need to cure hunger, as if there is any cure to be found to begin with.

Wow.  

Perhaps unintentional on your part but this is such an old, quasi-racist and completely discredited and offensive idea it shocks me to see you write it down here in plain English.  Yeah, "certain people" just need to have their breeding habits controlled.  Riiight.  

Please return to the 19th century forthwith and do not pass Go.  

(I wish we still had access to the roll eyes smiley as I would put several right here)

• Reply 48 of 51
    hezetationhezetation Posts: 674member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Wow.  

Perhaps unintentional on your part but this is such an old, quasi-racist and completely discredited and offensive idea it shocks me to see you write it down here in plain English.  Yeah, "certain people" just need to have their breeding habits controlled.  Riiight.  

(I wish we still had access to the roll eyes smiley as I would put several right here)

Sadly there are still a lot of countries around the world that control people's breeding habits, and there are plenty of people in the US who genuinely want the government to regulate it here.  It's sad how many completely don't understand that history really does repeat itself.  There's a whole generation growing up now in which it's no longer common knowledge who Hitler was & what horrible things he did.  

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it" -- George Santayana

• Reply 49 of 51
    daving313daving313 Posts: 97member

Not saying I'm against what Apple is doing, but pre-release materials refers to the actual software, not registering a UDID.

The below would apply if someone were selling or distributing the actual beta software to someone else.

Quote:

Originally Posted by malax View Post

From Registered Apple Developer Agreement (https://developer.apple.com/programs/terms/registered_apple_developer_20100301.pdf)

6. Confidential Pre-Release Materials License and Restrictions.

If Apple provides you with Pre-Release Materials, then subject to your compliance with the terms and conditions of this Agreement, Apple hereby grants you a nonexclusive, nontransferable, right and license to use the Pre-Release Materials only for the limited purposes set forth in this Section 6;  ... and you will not modify, network, rent, lease, transmit, sell, or loan the Pre-Release Materials in whole or in part.

This agreement is dated October 2010, so it's been pretty clear for years (at least) that developers aren't allowed to share beta software with their friends or sell it to random "superfans."

• Reply 50 of 51
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Wow.  

Racist, Schmasist. I don't care about skin color. And I also don't care about people who are poor as dirt who shag like there's no tomorrow, while the females keep pooping out baby after baby. Somebody should introduce them to this wonderful invention called the condom. If you can't feed your children, then it's probably not a good idea to have any more children. These people are selfish, foolish and completely irresponsible.

• Reply 51 of 51

I'm an early adopter and love new features. If I didn't have my Galaxy Nexus would totally buy a beta for $10. I mean, as long as it wouldn't be revoked or something down the road.