Purported 13" Retina MacBook Pro benchmarks appear, launch rumored before Oct.

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
As benchmarks for an unreleased MacBook Pro running a previously unknown build of Mountain Lion have appeared, a new rumor suggests Apple could launch its 13-inch Retina display MacBook Pro before October of this year.

Test results for an unreleased "MacBookPro10,2" model first appeared in Geekbench logs in late June. The authenticity of the listing, which was brought to AppleInsider's attention on Tuesday, cannot be verified.

It shows that a MacBook Pro running OS X 10.8 Build 12A2056 uploaded Geekbench data on June 29. The machine was running an Intel Core i7-3520M Ivy Bridge processor clocked at 2.9 gigahertz.

The sole listing for the machine gives it a Geekbench score of 7806. That's below a score of 10999 earned by the new 15-inch Retina display MacBook Pro with an Intel Core i7-3615QM processor clocked at 2.3 gigahertz, but is higher than scores of around 5000 earned by early 2011 13-inch MacBook Pros.

The Geekbench listing also shows the unreleased MacBook Pro with an Apple-manufactured motherboard identified as "Mac-AFD8A9D944EA4843," while the BIOS is listed as "MBP102.88Z.00F2.B00.1206111035." The test machine had 4 gigabytes of 1600 megahertz DDR3 RAM.

Geekbench

Evidence of a new 13-inch MacBook Pro comes as a report from DigiTimes on Tuesday claimed that upstream component suppliers are preparing to provide parts to Apple for a 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display in the third quarter of 2012. Citing anonymous sources in the supply chain, the report said it is believed the new MacBook Pro could launch before October. Earlier reports had suggested the new 13-inch Retina MacBook Pro will be introduced by early October.

The Geekbench sighting is not the first instance of a "MacBookPro10,2" in the wild. Last month, an online battery test also potentially identified a 13-inch version of a MacBook Pro with Retina display.

The data discovered on Mini Battery Logger's website also showed a model with the "10,2" identifier, which is different from the "MacBookPro9,2" label Apple gave to its recently updated 13-inch MacBook Pro, which does not feature a Retina display. Currently, the Retina display is only available with a 15-inch MacBook Pro identified as "MacBookPro10,1," while the legacy 15-inch model is "MacBookPro9,1."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 51
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    4 gigs of RAM, non-upgradeable? I don't think so.
  • Reply 2 of 51
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    It's likely I'll buy a new 13" MBP or iMac, whichever comes out with a Retina version first.

Then buy one with 8 or 16GB. I think 4GB is sufficient for most 13" MBP users but I'd recommend all get at least 8GB to future-proof their system.
  • Reply 3 of 51
    bounoubounou Posts: 12member

How is this a pro machine seriously? Not saying it is not a great computer but no discrete graphics and a dual core processor? Was at least hoping they could fit a quad core in there

• Reply 4 of 51

I stopped reading at Digitimes.

• Reply 5 of 51
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bounou View Post

How is this a pro machine seriously? Not saying it is not a great computer but no discrete graphics and a dual core processor? Was at least hoping they could fit a quad core in there

None of the 13" MBPs have quad-core now. Also, don't make the mistake of equating Pro to "Graphics Pro" - there are many professions that don't require a discrete graphics card.

• Reply 6 of 51
    briancpabriancpa Posts: 61member

Great. I was thinking about holding out for a 13" rMBP but ended up ordering a MBA on Saturday because "early October" didn't seem like a reality.

Last November, I decided to wait for the next generation of MacBooks before upgrading. All the articles near the beginning of the year estimated an April release... and look how accurate that ended up being.

• Reply 7 of 51
    pedromartinspedromartins Posts: 1,333member

If it has a discrete card (even if it is 512mb), similar form factor to the 15inch, same battery life, 8gb ram minimum (up to 16), 100%SSD and is priced at 1500 or 1600, it's an awesome buy.

• Reply 8 of 51
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

It's likely I'll buy a new 13" MBP or iMac, whichever comes out with a Retina version first.

Aren't those two opposite end of the spectrum machines?

• Reply 9 of 51
    [quote name="SolipsismX" url="/t/151195/purported-13-retina-macbook-pro-benchmarks-appear-launch-rumored-before-oct#post_2143941"]Then buy one with 8 or 16GB.[/QUOTE]

The point is wasting money on Apple RAM for upgrades.

[QUOTE]I think 4GB is sufficient for most 13" MBP users[/QUOTE]

With Mountain Lion requiring half of that baseline, I doubt it. Unless Apple is accelerating their upgrade cycle by a few years (too many).
  • Reply 10 of 51
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    andysol wrote: »
    Aren't those two opposite end of the spectrum machines?

Very much so, but with iPhone and iPad being suitable for many of my mobile needs a desktop after about 15 years of notebook usage could easily work for me. That makes the primary motivator the Retina display but I either want an actual desktop or another 13" notebook. A 15" notebook I simply wouldn't travel with and it would be a waste in cost just to be used as a stationary machine.
  • Reply 11 of 51
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member

Yes in a 'pro' model if it isn't upgradeable you'd think 8 would be a wiser level to start. 4 is fine for the average Joe though so i assume the Pro monica is now being used rather loosely. It's the reason I walked out of an Apple Store last week without a box having intended to buy one. The cost of the fully loaded Retina 15" is out of my budget for a laptop but I wouldn't want to be stuck with lower RAM than a system was able to use. I am back pondering the non Retina MBP again... although what i really want is another Mac Pro, if only they really upgraded that model ... maybe next year / sigh
  • Reply 12 of 51
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Very much so, but with iPhone and iPad being suitable for many of my mobile needs a desktop after about 15 years of notebook usage could easily work for me. That makes the primary motivator the Retina display but I either want an actual desktop or another 13" notebook. A 15" notebook I simply wouldn't travel with and it would be a waste in cost just to be used as a stationary machine.

I'd love to see a middle range MacPro again as I agree iPad has removed my need for a laptop and I want raw power when at the desk. I'd love a Mac Pro about half the size with less expansion but really high end CPUs (2 years since I switched from 8 core MacPro to i7 MBP and I have nearly forgotten what multitasking really is!) 16 to 32 GIG RAM and two drive bays for modest SSD and massive HD until SSD is a lot cheaper. Of course 2 vid slots for Video cards of choice ... I assume TB compatible ones exist??
  • Reply 13 of 51
    doh123doh123 Posts: 323member
    If it has a discrete card (even if it is 512mb), similar form factor to the 15inch, same battery life, 8gb ram minimum (up to 16), 100%SSD and is priced at 1500 or 1600, it's an awesome buy.

nope... it'll be priced like the old ones, but on the baseline your looking at 4gb of ram.. 128gb SSD, and Intel HD 4000 graphics only. On the nice side the screen will be 2560x1600.

The main difference between the new Pro and the 13" Air is the faster CPU and Retina display.
  • Reply 14 of 51
    A Retina display MBP running the same graphics card as an 11" MBA?

Hmm.

I think that is pushing it a bit.
  • Reply 15 of 51
    foljsfoljs Posts: 390member

Obviously you'll be able to update as "built to order".

Other than that what exactly don't you "think so"? Seems entirely possible and valid.

• Reply 16 of 51
    foljsfoljs Posts: 390member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bounou View Post

It's a pro in that it's in the more expensive line, with more luxury features. It's not about graphics, and more cores don't mean anything to most common uses.

A doctor or a lawyer making $2-3M a year are much more pro than a $70K a year graphic designer, and they have no need for a fancy graphics card.

• Reply 17 of 51
    brianusbrianus Posts: 160member
    bounou wrote: »

Wait, where does it say it doesn't have discrete graphics?
  • Reply 18 of 51
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,142member

I thought they would wait till Haswell since the integrated graphics alone on retina resoloutions would stink. Or maybe as I hoped, without the optical drive they can fit in a discreet GPU. 

• Reply 19 of 51
    brianus wrote: »
    Wait, where does it say it doesn't have discrete graphics?

It's a 13" model. It's not going to have a discrete chip. Apple has never made a 13" computer with a discrete chip, and the last laptop close to that size with one was the last iBook G4 in July 2005.
  • Reply 20 of 51
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    Integrated graphics?