Rumor: Next-gen iPhone, 'iPad mini' engineering samples pictured

Comments

• Reply 21 of 60
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

I'm also glad that the people who want to get rid of the home button are not in charge of anything at Apple. These people should go and buy an Android tablet.

• Reply 22 of 60
    bmason1270bmason1270 Posts: 258member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I'm also glad that the people who want to get rid of the home button are not in charge of anything at Apple. These people should go and buy an Android tablet.

Agreed. On a friends Android, im always slightly brushing the capacitive home button effectively kicking me out of the app i was in. It couldn't be more annoying.  It is also harder to just find by feel. At least the button you can feel and have to press.

• Reply 23 of 60
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member

I think 16:9 is the perfect ratio for a 7 inch tablet but it's terrible for a 10 inch tablet. 

• Reply 24 of 60
    ungenioungenio Posts: 49member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

The shape looks to be using a 16:9 aspect ratio and not the 4:3 or the 7.85" size. If it's 16:9 or 3:2 I would say it's an iPod model, but if it's 4:3 it'll be an iPad model.

The perspective makes you believe it's 16:9 aspect ratio, but so it seems is the iPad. By comparing the two we should deduct it's rather a 4:3 ratio

• Reply 25 of 60
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    After Tim Cook's comments about secrecy I can't help thinking that Apple is leaking this BS cause they know folks will fall for it. And not look for real info
  • Reply 26 of 60
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member
    charlituna wrote: »
    After Tim Cook's comments about secrecy I can't help thinking that Apple is leaking this BS cause they know folks will fall for it. And not look for real info

Apple leaking this BS, they don't need to, many tech blogs will do it for them just to get hits from fanbois and iHaters.
  • Reply 27 of 60
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I don't know if it's real or not, but what makes you say that? Anybody can order a 3d model from one of those places, can't they?

I don't know if it is real or not but I do know it would take a few thousand dollars worth of SolidWorks design and 3D printing to create that. If it is a fake it is a pretty expensive hoax.

• Reply 28 of 60
    macvictamacvicta Posts: 346member

That iPad mini is gonna be sweeeet.  Perfect size.

• Reply 29 of 60
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    I actually buy it.

Not this crap. Not this DigiTimes-level stuff.

I buy that there'll be a smaller iPad.

I maintain that I think it's a completely idiotic decision. I maintain that I see no benefit to it whatsoever. I also think it may be shortly discontinued and Cook and Co. thoroughly (and quite overly, though not incorrectly) blamed for a "bad choice".
  • Reply 30 of 60
    I would buy iPad mini or whatever they wanna call it at launch day if they do sell it, in addition to iPad 3 I already have for use as a bedside tablet.

Continuing on the news, anybody can make engineering samples. Case manufacturer for one would like to find out, for the iPad mini for example.
  • Reply 31 of 60
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    I would buy iPad mini or whatever they wanna call it at launch day if they do sell it, in addition to iPad 3 I already have for use as a bedside tablet. Continuing on the news, anybody can make engineering samples. Case manufacturer for one would like to find out, for the iPad mini for example.

Yep, I'm sitting on the patio after dinner reading this and typing on my iPad 3 (the weather is a delightful 75° F no degree symbol on iPad by the way copy and paste from Wikipedia ) but tomorrow when I'm off to the office on mass transit I would totally dig a mini. iPhone is just too small except for emergency info or just checking email or txt messages. I'm a buyer on day 1 also.
  • Reply 32 of 60

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamC View Post

Apple leaking this BS, they don't need to, many tech blogs will do it for them just to get hits from fanbois and iHaters.

okay perhaps not leaking per se but avoiding anything that might negate the rumors, like details in the iOS 6 betas. 

• Reply 33 of 60

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I buy that there'll be a smaller iPad.

I don't. in part because of Steve so strongly saying it would be a bad move. 

now would I be shocked to see a 5-6 inch revamped iPod Touch. nope. I would not

• Reply 34 of 60
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

I don't like the actual button as I think it spoils the aesthetics of the device and I always catch my thumb on it when I'm using the device in landscape mode.

Then you have a manufacturing error.

Manufacturing error of the thumb, at that.

• Reply 35 of 60

He's dead. I don't subscribe to the belief that that immediately invalidates everything he did or said, but some do. I will never understand that, nor will I accept it, because it is a sad and naïve belief, but some do. And who does subscribe to that is the only thing that matters.
    now would I be shocked to see a 5-6 inch revamped iPod Touch. nope. I would not

How is that a different scenario? I do see a larger iPhone and a matching iPod touch, but not of that size. I see the larger model encompassing, for Apple, what an even larger device would take into consideration.
  • Reply 36 of 60

I think Steve was referring to the 7" 16:9 tablets that the other guys were selling. There are a bunch of reasons why they don't work: too narrow in portrait... not enough height in landscape... and I don't think Steve was the biggest fan of Android in general :-)

But the world has never seen a 7.85" 4:3 iPad running iOS. I believe it would be a nice product. All the benefits of an iPad... only smaller.

Apple already makes laptops in 11" 13" 15" and 17".... so they must understand the importance of different screen sizes. Hell.... Apple made the iPod Shuffle without a screen...

Did people complain when Apple introduced the 11" Air? I don't see how that is any different than making a slightly smaller iPad.

Does anyone think a 7.85" iPad will just sit on a shelf collecting dust? If it was priced at $299... it would be the hottest item this Christmas.

Build it Apple!!!

• Reply 37 of 60

I've accidentally pressed the home button when playing a game in landscape mode, and while it is frustrating, imagine how bad it would be if it were an off-screen capacitive button!  One of the things I don't care about on the Android tablets is how a portion of the screen is dedicated to a band of touch buttons.  To me, I am giving up real estate on the screen in lieu of a physical button on the bezel.  I'd take the latter any day.

• Reply 38 of 60
    jonshfjonshf Posts: 90member

Quote:

How is that a different scenario? I do see a larger iPhone and a matching iPod touch, but not of that size. I see the larger model encompassing, for Apple, what an even larger device would take into consideration.

The question in my mind is how wide is the tablet going to be (from a portrait perspective). Will it fit into a jacket or coat pocket? This will require the side bezels to be very narrow and then the question becomes whether it can be held conveniently in one hand.

If it doesn't fit into a coat pocket then I don't see it being much more mobile than a full sized ipad and doesn't differentiate itself enough.

• Reply 39 of 60

Quote:

The question in my mind is how wide is the tablet going to be (from a portrait perspective). Will it fit into a jacket or coat pocket? This will require the side bezels to be very narrow and then the question becomes whether it can be held conveniently in one hand.

If it doesn't fit into a coat pocket then I don't see it being much more mobile than a full sized ipad and doesn't differentiate itself enough.

Spot on. Holding the iPad mini in one hand will be as critical as making it fit into those inside jacket pockers

• Reply 40 of 60
    The only use I've ever seen anyone talk about for a smaller iPad is IN WINTER.

Unless Apple plans to expand their presence in Vladivostok, Alaska, and Amundsen-Scott…