20 million iPad sales projected for Apple's June quarter

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 50
    woochiferwoochifer Posts: 385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

If this turns out to be true then I find this absolutely amazing. I've put the number at 14 million. I realize the RD v3 came out this year but I just couldn't see Apple besting the holiday quarter numbers until the next holiday quarter.

I'm sure that if the number is over 15 million then it has to be businesses that are driving the sales.

Regardless of whether business demand is driving iPad sales, I think the main factor driving this spike in iPad sales (if this 20 million projection holds up) is simply the iPad 2 migrating down to the $400 price point.  The first quarter of a new product introduction will always see a big sales spike.  But, if the iPad (3) had simply come out and replaced the iPad 2, then I doubt we would see anywhere near 20 million.  Demand for the iPad 2 was already strong at the existing price points, but dropping the price down to $400 simply pushed millions of fence sitters into the market.  All the while, the iPad (3) takes over the existing demand at the previous iPad 2 price points, and adds some additional demand with the hardware improvements.  Yes, the iPad 2 probably does cannibalize iPad 3 sales to some extent, but on the whole, having a $400 iPad 2 is still a net gain for Apple.  This would be more of a one-time stimulus, because it entails widening the iPad product line and lowering the price point.  Even if Apple similarly migrates the iPad (3) to a lower price point to make way for a new iPad, it would not have the same effect that the iPad 2 is likely having for this quarter.  Any increase in sales would be driven more by the normal product cycle improvements and general market trends. 

With the rumored 7.85" iPad Mini selling for ~$250, we would see a similar situation.  Probably some cannibalization of iPad 2 sales, but an overall net gain in unit sales because of the lower price point.  With an iPad Mini, the unit sales will likely be huge, but the question then becomes whether it hurts Apple's profits. 

• Reply 42 of 50
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

iPad sales are tanking, not growing. EVERYBODY is waiting for the Surface and the Nexus 7 don't you know. When these babies come out the iPad will be but a distant memory. Just ask anybody. ;-)

Yup. Just like the HP Touchpad, Motorola Xoom, Galaxy Tab, and every other tablet X or Y that was supposedly 'light years' ahead of iPad and supposed to crush it as soon as they're released. The tablet market will echo the iPod market, everything is trending that way. As soon as Apple released a smaller ipad retailing $299 or less, it's absolutely game over for everyone, if it isn't already. As iOS becomes more mature, flexible, and feature rich, and people get more familiar with tablet computing as the norm, the sky's the limit. 

• Reply 43 of 50
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woochifer View Post

Regardless of whether business demand is driving iPad sales, I think the main factor driving this spike in iPad sales (if this 20 million projection holds up) is simply the iPad 2 migrating down to the $400 price point.  The first quarter of a new product introduction will always see a big sales spike.  But, if the iPad (3) had simply come out and replaced the iPad 2, then I doubt we would see anywhere near 20 million.  Demand for the iPad 2 was already strong at the existing price points, but dropping the price down to $400 simply pushed millions of fence sitters into the market.  All the while, the iPad (3) takes over the existing demand at the previous iPad 2 price points, and adds some additional demand with the hardware improvements.  Yes, the iPad 2 probably does cannibalize iPad 3 sales to some extent, but on the whole, having a $400 iPad 2 is still a net gain for Apple.  This would be more of a one-time stimulus, because it entails widening the iPad product line and lowering the price point.  Even if Apple similarly migrates the iPad (3) to a lower price point to make way for a new iPad, it would not have the same effect that the iPad 2 is likely having for this quarter.  Any increase in sales would be driven more by the normal product cycle improvements and general market trends. 

With the rumored 7.85" iPad Mini selling for ~$250, we would see a similar situation.  Probably some cannibalization of iPad 2 sales, but an overall net gain in unit sales because of the lower price point.  With an iPad Mini, the unit sales will likely be huge, but the question then becomes whether it hurts Apple's profits. 

I hadn't factored the $400 iPad 2 into the equation. It'll be interesting to see if it makes that big of a difference. Anecdotal evidence suggests that people end up buying the v3 after assessing the $100 difference.

I'm wondering what will happen next year when the RD v3 is replaced with the new and improved v4. Will Apple move the v3 down to $400... and, as you mentioned, have a smaller iPad in the $249 to $300 price range.

I don't think that a smaller iPad would hurt overall profit. Personally I believe that there would be a net gain... both in sales numbers and profit.

• Reply 44 of 50
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    "Apple wrote:
    [" url="/t/151241/20-million-ipad-sales-projected-for-apples-june-quarter#post_2145501"]Unfortunately, I don't think that they'll let anybody in to the cockpit anymore. :) But you're right, the pilots are probably using them too.
    I would imagine the entire flight crew has them either company or personally owned. iPads are a very light and rugged solution for on the go computing.
    When I was a kid, I was once allowed to sit in the cockpit of a 747 for a few minutes during flight, but I imagine that those days are long gone, thanks to a bunch of douchebags.

Unfortunately it will only get worst until we a s a country stand up collectively and demand the destruction of the culture that breeds these people. It does little good to go after the current hostile element when the culture produces more douchebags everyday. Of course people get queasy because the only way to do that is to go after the human element that this cultures composed of. Sooner or later we will have no choice.
  • Reply 45 of 50

Quote:

If this turns out to be true then I find this absolutely amazing. I've put the number at 14 million. I realize the RD v3 came out this year but I just couldn't see Apple besting the holiday quarter numbers until the next holiday quarter.

I'm sure that if the number is over 15 million then it has to be businesses that are driving the sales.

Not necessarily, most school systems place their orders over the summer so they are available for the school year which begins in September. The school purchases should be larger then all the graduation gifts, and back-to-school sales for students, combined. About the only time of the year that business purchases are down are in the month of December when all thoughts are on the Christmas holiday feeding frenzy, during which anything cheap can be sold for gifting: witness the Amazon Fire last year and perhaps again this year. 

We'll see what happens if Apple releases a smaller iPad. It's getting so that if it doesn't have the apple logo on the back, you must be poor as a church mouse.

"My parents hate me, I got a stupid Samsung tablet for Christmas. I look so un-cool carrying that around."

"I hear you bro, my parents tried to get me to keep the Microsoft Surface they gave me with the rubber keyboard thingy and the monitor that needs to be propped up. I told them, 'Not even geeks use those things. Even geeks have a sense of cool.'"

• Reply 46 of 50

Quote:

I hadn't factored the $400 iPad 2 into the equation. It'll be interesting to see if it makes that big of a difference. Anecdotal evidence suggests that people end up buying the v3 after assessing the $100 difference.

I'm wondering what will happen next year when the RD v3 is replaced with the new and improved v4. Will Apple move the v3 down to $400... and, as you mentioned, have a smaller iPad in the $249 to $300 price range.

I don't think that a smaller iPad would hurt overall profit. Personally I believe that there would be a net gain... both in sales numbers and profit.

When you speak of "profit" you should indicate whether you are speaking of "Percent of Profit," or "Profit Dollars." Let's say Apple decides to make the same 40% of Profit on both devices. The $300 iPad mini would bring in $120 profit, and the $500 iPad will bring in $200 profit.

If the mini primarily eats into the sales of the larger iPad then the  "Percent of Profit," remains the same but the "Profit Dollars" will diminish by up to 40%. 

If, however the iPad mini principally eats into the brand X seven-inch tablet sales, then it means Apple will enjoy a net gain in sales and market share.

If Apple doesn't produce a iPad mini, then (a) other manufacturers will be left to fight over the bottom end of the market, and (b) Apple may experience a slight loss of sales to customers that would have bought an Apple but need the greater portability of a smaller device. 

• Reply 47 of 50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

When you speak of "profit" you should indicate whether you are speaking of "Percent of Profit," or "Profit Dollars." Let's say Apple decides to make the same 40% of Profit on both devices. The $300 iPad mini would bring in $120 profit, and the $500 iPad will bring in $200 profit.

If the mini primarily eats into the sales of the larger iPad then the  "Percent of Profit," remains the same but the "Profit Dollars" will diminish by up to 40%. 

If, however the iPad mini principally eats into the brand X seven-inch tablet sales, then it means Apple will enjoy a net gain in sales and market share.

If Apple doesn't produce a iPad mini, then (a) other manufacturers will be left to fight over the bottom end of the market, and (b) Apple may experience a slight loss of sales to customers that would have bought an Apple but need the greater portability of a smaller device. 

Profit means profit. Numbers mean numbers.

If at Xmas A you sell 100 items with $20 profit then you make $2000.00 in profit.

If at Xmas B you sell 85 items at $20 profit and 35 items at $13 profit then you have $2155.00 in profit... a net gain in both profit and numbers.

• Reply 48 of 50
    sr2012sr2012 Posts: 896member
    I thought Kinect was the fastest-selling device of all time? Remember the hype? Guess what happened...
  • Reply 49 of 50
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    sr2012 wrote: »
    I thought Kinect was the fastest-selling device of all time? Remember the hype? Guess what happened...

I think a company has to petition to get their product accounted because the Kinect is clearly not the fastest selling for the time frame. The Kinect only sold 8 million units in the 60 day time frame. The iPhone 4S sold half that in the first weekend. Apple doesn't break out the numbers but it seems highly unlikely that of the 37(?) million iPhones sold that quarter than in the next 57 days they sold less than they sold in the first weekend.
  • Reply 50 of 50
    sr2012sr2012 Posts: 896member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I think a company has to petition to get their product accounted because the Kinect is clearly not the fastest selling for the time frame. The Kinect only sold 8 million units in the 60 day time frame. The iPhone 4S sold half that in the first weekend. Apple doesn't break out the numbers but it seems highly unlikely that of the 37(?) million iPhones sold that quarter than in the next 57 days they sold less than they sold in the first weekend.

Bingo. Now guess how many units ~total in all of history~ Kinect sold.