Nielsen: Android growth outpaces iOS in U.S. amid smartphone adoption boom

12346

Comments

  • Reply 101 of 139

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post


    Some unsolicited advice: If you want to be taken seriously, try making the same points but not from the viewpoint of a grade-schooler. Your style leaves readers with the impression you're quite young and inexperienced.



    Good advice! You should be even-handed, and also give the same advice to your fandroid pals such as js26, screamingsomething, koreawhatever, etc (and a whole bunch that seem to have recently signed on).

  • Reply 102 of 139
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,095member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post


    Good advice! You should be even-handed, and also give the same advice to your fandroid pals such as js26, screamingsomething, koreawhatever, etc (and a whole bunch that seem to have recently signed on).



    I thought they had already been "corrected" by TS and others. I'm pretty even-handed and consistent, noting the same to JerrySwitched and a couple of newer members considered pro-Android. I've never hesitated to also mention that personal insults, name-calling, arbitrary ridicule and other assorted trollish behavior isn't healthy for the forum, besides being a violation of the forum rules we all agreed to as a condition of membership. 

  • Reply 103 of 139
    lunarmoon wrote: »
    this is irrelevant. Wins who takes more money home. Apple takes 75% of all revenue on the smartphone market and 85% of all revenue on the tablet market. Android can sell more devices but this is irrelevant. 

    People who buy the iPhone are people who knows they are buying and iPhone and why they are buying an iPhone. People who buys Android phones are in big part, people who don't even know what android is. They buy a cute phone they see there on the store. These folks buy the phone because they want something modern, or beautiful. They will never buy any application or even bother to visit the store and get something. Many will never know they can do that. This is why Android apps sell six times less than iPhone equivalents. This also explains why Google makes 4 times more revenue from ads on iOS devices compared to Android.

    I agree with you . These numbers won't show android platform earns more . Android earns money on ads while Apple earns on hardware . Apple is doing very well itself earning the most from its hardware . Google , despite the fact that it has big market share , should mean it earns big from ads within Android . But the fact turned out to be Google even earns more on iPhone platform by iPhone users who view the google ads !!it is very funny . Non android os gives more revenue to Google ! After I said this , I am happy with what Apple is doing .
  • Reply 104 of 139
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    I thought they had already been "corrected" by TS and others. I'm pretty even-handed and consistent,

    ROTLMAO.

    Sure you're consistent. You side with Google no matter how egregious their behavior. You deny anything (fragmentation, anyone) that might reflect negatively on Android.
  • Reply 105 of 139


    I agree. I've used Android and iOS and Android is worse than Windows 3.1. Slow, buggy, seemingly cobbled together in an inconsistent way and just plain hard to use. My worry is that the masses will once again glom onto the non-Apple carbon-copy product and many bad first-opinions of smartphones will be forged. People will then live with the mediocre because they just assume that it's normal...just like what happened with Windows and Macs. Sigh.

  • Reply 106 of 139
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,095member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post





    ROTLMAO.

    Sure you're consistent. You side with Google no matter how egregious their behavior. You deny anything (fragmentation, anyone) that might reflect negatively on Android.


    Not true at all. I'm just not automatically and irrationally anti-Google, anti-MS, anti-Samsung or anti-any-other-company perceived as an Apple competitor. I've praised Apple products on numerous occasions, but in thinking back I can't think of specific instances where I've done the same for Android. I've just not been as reflexively critical at every mention as you might be.


     


    Just yesterday I commented that IMO Google's bypass of Safari settings wasn't an accident as they say. I've criticized Google's stance on FRAND injunction filings. Add to that, I've never said there was no Android fragmentation, altho you say I have on numerous occasions. Perhaps if you could link some factual Android claim that I've denied then we could have a conversation about it. Actual citations for accusations would be a nice change of pace for you don't you think?

  • Reply 107 of 139
    sr2012sr2012 Posts: 896member
    Ah, Android. The new Nokia.
  • Reply 108 of 139
    fredaroonyfredaroony Posts: 619member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post





    ROTLMAO.

    Sure you're consistent. You side with Google no matter how egregious their behavior. You deny anything (fragmentation, anyone) that might reflect negatively on Android.


    ROTLMAO.


    Just like you will defend Apple in any scenario no matter how obvious they are wrong i.e. Australian 4G

  • Reply 109 of 139
    fredaroonyfredaroony Posts: 619member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by FjordPrefect View Post


    I agree. I've used Android and iOS and Android is worse than Windows 3.1. Slow, buggy, seemingly cobbled together in an inconsistent way and just plain hard to use. My worry is that the masses will once again glom onto the non-Apple carbon-copy product and many bad first-opinions of smartphones will be forged. People will then live with the mediocre because they just assume that it's normal...just like what happened with Windows and Macs. Sigh.



    lol the only thing that is mediocre is your attempt at trolling. At least come up with something better than that.

  • Reply 110 of 139
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member


    Wow! These threads have become so absolutely infested with pro-Android fanatics that I have to really question what is happening.


     


    I can understand the occasional person correcting someone when it is obvious that fact and logic is disregarded and replaced by blind Apple fanaticism but for so many people to even bother to come onto an Apple site just to bait and antagonize the members of the group seems very strange.


     


    I'm guessing that their hope is to shut down the Apple forums by making them uninhabitable for the more reasoned members who wish only to discuss Apple products and to gain some knowledge of those products.

     


    I don't mind at all when someone gives proper evidence to refute Apple products... but all of this "Apple is shit" "Apple has only 5 years left" "the iPhone is crap" bs is not necessary and if AI wants to continue to exist I suggest they seriously think about a heavy three strikes rule and define the terms very clearly.


     


    ... or not, and have all the worthwhile contributors leave.


     


    jmho

  • Reply 111 of 139

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post


    Wow! These threads have become so absolutely infested with pro-Android people that I have to really question what is happening.


     


    I can understand the occasional person correcting someone when it is obvious that fact and logic is disregarded and replaced by blind fanaticism but for so many people to even bother to come onto an Apple site just to bait and antagonize the members of the group seems very strange.


     


    I'm guessing that their hope is to shut down the Apple forums by making them uninhabitable for the more reasoned members who wish only to discuss Apple products and to gain some knowledge of those products.

     


    I don't mind at all when someone gives proper evidence to refute Apple products... but all of this "Apple is shit" "Apple has only 5 years left" "the iPhone is crap" bs is not necessary and if AI wants to continue to exist I suggest they seriously think about a heavy three strikes rule and define the terms very clearly.


     


    ... or not, and have all the worthwhile contributors leave.


     


    jmho



    I don't see why people can't be pro Android and pro Apple.


     


    I have an Macbook Air and a Galaxy Nexus.



    What's the issue?

  • Reply 112 of 139
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by MaroonMushroom View Post


    I don't see why people can't be pro Android and pro Apple.


     


    I have an Macbook Air and a Galaxy Nexus.



    What's the issue?



     


    Obviously you didn't read my post.


     


    I changed 1 word and added 1 word to make it even clearer.

  • Reply 113 of 139
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post


    Some unsolicited advice: If you want to be taken seriously, try making the same points but not from the viewpoint of a grade-schooler. Your style leaves readers with the impression you're quite young and inexperienced.


     


    As for the "lag" supposedly demonstrated in Hill60's video I personally think it may actually be the OS properly determining if the user is wanting to add icons/widgets to the home-screen via using a "long-press" or instead scroll from page to page.  There was a similar claim about the lag when hitting the home button on the S3. As it turns out Samsung's voice search is activated by a double tap of the home screen button, so there's a momentary pause to determine what the user is requesting, one tap or two. Turning off Samsung's S-voice eliminates the delay. Perhaps Hill60 might have time to video the delay in launching apps with a screen tap, which was normally evidence of screen lag in the past anyway.


     


    In any case you are probably correct that users' don't see it as lag.



     


    That still doesn't address Google promoting a fix for the obvious issue at their recent IO developer conference.


     


    You have made it abundantly clear that Google and their convicted cronies (Samsung price fixing) can do no wrong.


     


    So was Google wrong in presenting a solution to an issue, which it is often claimed, doesn't exist even in the face of video evidence clearly demonstrating otherwise?

  • Reply 114 of 139
    fredaroonyfredaroony Posts: 619member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post


    Wow! These threads have become so absolutely infested with pro-Android people that I have to really question what is happening.


     


    I can understand the occasional person correcting someone when it is obvious that fact and logic is disregarded and replaced by blind fanaticism but for so many people to even bother to come onto an Apple site just to bait and antagonize the members of the group seems very strange.


     


    I'm guessing that their hope is to shut down the Apple forums by making them uninhabitable for the more reasoned members who wish only to discuss Apple products and to gain some knowledge of those products.

     


    I don't mind at all when someone gives proper evidence to refute Apple products... but all of this "Apple is shit" "Apple has only 5 years left" "the iPhone is crap" bs is not necessary and if AI wants to continue to exist I suggest they seriously think about a heavy three strikes rule and define the terms very clearly.


     


    ... or not, and have all the worthwhile contributors leave.


     


    jmho



    Would you also apply this to the posts such as "All Android phones are garbage" etc? Fanboism either way is just an pathetic.

  • Reply 115 of 139
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by JerrySwitched26 View Post


    We are again seeing the meme  - although Android sales dwarf iOS sales on phones, the Android phones are inferior.  



     


    So how's that working out on tablets or should that be iPad clones?

  • Reply 116 of 139
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by fredaroony View Post


    Would you also apply this to the posts such as "All Android phones are garbage" etc? Fanboism either way is just an pathetic.



     


    I thought about this afterwards... and, yes, absolutely. If AI allows Apple fans to bait Android users then we can expect to see a reaction and it shouldn't be tolerated.


     


    I don't understand, though, why any pro-Android "fanatic" could be bothered to come here just to bait and antagonize. Reasonable discourse, sure, but not the crap we're seeing as of late. It seems to be already established that the same level of interaction by Apple fanatics isn't found on Android sites.


     


    Anyway... back to regular programming.

  • Reply 117 of 139
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by fredaroony View Post


    ROTLMAO.


    Just like you will defend Apple in any scenario no matter how obvious they are wrong i.e. Australian 4G



     


    So as the Australian model is not 4G, then Apple is not infringing the 4G patents acquired from ADC, that HTC is suing them over in the US, seeing as this "non 4G" iPad is the same one being sold in the US?

  • Reply 118 of 139
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,095member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post


    You have made it abundantly clear that Google and their convicted cronies (Samsung price fixing) can do no wrong.



    Then you're only selectively remembering what you want to. I've recently criticized Google for their stated policy on FRAND injunctions. I've criticized Google for  their bypassing of default Safari settings. I've said that Google didn't do so by "accident" IMO. I've stated that I believe Samsung has copied Apple too closely with some of their devices.I've stated I don't like Motorola using essential patents as weapons. I just don't have the knee-jerk reaction you do whenever a supposed Apple competitor is mentioned which you take to be anti-Apple. 

  • Reply 119 of 139
    fredaroonyfredaroony Posts: 619member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post


     


    I thought about this afterwards... and, yes, absolutely. If AI allows Apple fans to bait Android users then we can expect to see a reaction and it shouldn't be tolerated.


     


    I don't understand, though, why any pro-Android "fanatic" could be bothered to come here just to bait and antagonize. Reasonable discourse, sure, but not the crap we're seeing as of late. It seems to be already established that the same level of interaction by Apple fanatics isn't found on Android sites.


     


    Anyway... back to regular programming.



    I agree, obviously some of them just come in here just to troll.

  • Reply 120 of 139
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post


    Then you're only selectively remembering what you want to. I've recently criticized Google for their stated policy on FRAND injunctions. I've criticized Google for  their bypassing of default Safari settings. I've said that Google didn't do so by "accident" IMO. I've stated that I believe Samsung has copied Apple too closely with some of their devices.I've stated I don't like Motorola using essential patents as weapons. I just don't have the knee-jerk reaction you do whenever a supposed Apple competitor is mentioned which you take to be anti-Apple. 



     


    Google controls Motorola, they easily could have had a caveat to not bail out Motorola Mobility with a $12.5 billion investment as what Motorola was doing did not agree with Google's stated corporate ideals re: patent abuse.


     


    Google are hypocritical bullshit artists of the first order.


     


    Their failure to withdraw ANY of these cases AND their letters written in support of Motorola's continuing abuse to various bodies in Europe and the US further demonstrate this reality.

Sign In or Register to comment.